Too much nicotine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

whitetortuga

ECF Veteran
Nov 4, 2011
United States
Hey guys, I've been vaping the 36mg eliquid for a while now.. The more I'm looking, the more people seem to be saying it is too much??

What are the risks of vaping this high of a nicotine content?! Thanks for the help!!

Edit: If it is too much and I want to dilute it, can I get some VG from walmart? How much would I use?

Last edited:

leftfeild

ECF Veteran
May 21, 2011
Scotland
Well... too much is subjective. Most, and I say most, would suggest that 24mg be the highest you vape if you vape a lot. However, I have seen people claiming to be vaping 56mg. You're not alone in the 36mg club but it's a bit of an at your own risk deal.

Main symptoms of nic overdose: headache, nausia, spaced out feeling, raised pulse and slurred speech if you really overdo it.

It all depends on you. Your tolerance for nicotine, how much you vape and how much you feel you need. If you're getting symptoms or side effects, yes, try stepping it down a little. You can get vg from walmart but it's called something stupid I can't remember now.

You can kinda work out how much nic you're getting by a 10% absorption rate (which isn't set in stone btw):

With a real cigarette, it starts with around 10mg of nicotine in it and you absorb 1mg. 10% is absorbed.

With an ecig, you're starting with 32mg and for some people it's shown to be about a 10% absorption rate, so 3.2mg. But, that's per ml not per inhale. So for every 1ml of liquid you get through you can guesstimate about 3 cigs worth of nicotine.

I found that's not true for myself. I need 4 - 6mg of nicotine, using about 2 - 3ml a day. Any more and I feel like I've had 10 coffees and 20 pro plus tablets and I ain't sleeping for a day or two, followed by a nic hangover that ain't fun. That, when I used to smoke 20 roll your owns or more a day is wildly different nicotine intake.

Different strokes for different folks. Listen to your body, cos as you were a smoker before (I assume) you should be an expert in dosing yourself with nicotine already.

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
Hi theories about nic levels are kind of all over the place. So let's start by just getting you settled down.

STOP! Put down the pv, no cigarettes, and just put it all down and give yourself at least 30 minutes of "nothing." See how you feel after you give yourself a break.

If it's too much nicotine you should start to feel better, even after only 30 minutes of stopping. If it's too little actually - and you are experiencing withdrawal symptoms more related to quitting smoking instead of too much nicotine, chances are you won't feel any better after 30 minutes of nothing.

(To be continued. But I wanted to get a reply out to you fast.)

Rick

washvap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2011
wa
How much did you smoke while you were on cigs? If you smoked more then 2 packs a day then 36mg would be fine. 24mg for a PAD smoker such as myself. Although, there are days that I do vape 36mg. The only danger that you have to worry about is nic overdose. You will feel light headed and perhaps nauseous. They symptoms should go away in a few hours.

If you want to dilute with VG then get some USP medical grade VG. Honestly, not sure how many drops or anything. Best bet is to make a thread in this section:

DIY E-Liquid

Just remember that your not limited to the noob section anymore. So, you can make threads and post anywhere you like.

EDIT: Who vapes 56mg?

Last edited:

Tersur

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 18, 2011
Bfe Kentucky
Headache. Fast heartbeats. Profuse sweating. Unable to eat. Sleeplessness are all symptoms of too much nic. What i do when im ready to lower my levels is order the same juice with lower nic. If i havr 24 mg and want 18 i order a bottle of 12 mg same size and flavor and mix them. You can go the straight vg route but it will also dilute the flavor.

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
Hoping someone can help.. I'm a bit nervous and have been feeling a bit weird..

Ok, can you give us some more detail about what you are experiencing? By "nervous" do you mean you feel edgy or like you have shakes? Gotta give us more details re: feeling a bit weird.

Any other info you can provide, please do. How much of the 36 mg liquids do you think you are going through? Give it in any context you can. Half a 20 ml bottle in the last week? Some context like that. And what hardware are you using?

And do you know if this stuff is 100% VG, 100% PG or a mix of the two? Allergic or adverse reactions to one type or the other are something we can give you a reality check on too.

Have you completely quit smoking? I see your sig banner - is that correct?

Balthezar

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2011
Fayetteville, GA
Oh, Balthezar for the save: "I get VG from walmart, Humco brand, USP, labeled Glycerin, a skin protectant, and costs around $2.50 for 177ml."

VG from walmart.

Thank you leftfield, it's really gratifying when you find out you are helping here.
If you are going to cut the nic level down then check out some of the e-juice calculators, they can help you get just the mg you want.
This one you can download, you can save recipes if you like to DIY

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/diy-e-liquid/46912-downloadable-e-juice-recipe-software-app.html

This one is a quick online one, easy to use and don't have to download anything

eJuice Recipe Calculator

Balth

Stosh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Nevada
When I started quitting, I vaped 36mg "for quite a while", it kept me off the smokes.
Hiccups were my warning sign I was getting too much nic, which is similar to when I've
tried nicotine gum, too much and hic, hic, hic....:)

Over time I bought better equipment, higher voltage, better cartos, learned to draw long and slow,
found the mix I like (50/50 PG/VG), moved to tanks and better attys, etc....
This allows me to drop the nic level, usually 20-24mg now, and probably am getting the same
amount of nicotine absorbed in the end. A good match between voltage and atty / carto along
with good technique will go a long way to lowering the nicotine level you need to vape.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread