Too VG or not too VG!? Is that a question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EmeraldLeo1982

ECF Veteran
Aug 8, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma
I don't think alot of people really vape 100%VG but it doesn't wick very well at all. But I've recently upped my VG amount and I notice the film that clings to the inside of my mouth so I suppose it's highly possible that it could build up in your lungs as it takes a bit for your body to absorb it. If it's an issue add some PG or slow down a bit, maybe try a higher nic so you don't need to vape as often.

Shaketuga

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2013
Casper, Wyoming
I'll have to try that because I must say it isn't quite as bad with my attys as it is with my cartos :ohmy:
I vape 100% VG from Virgin Vapors Absolute line. No issues with pooling or film in mouth for me. PG makes my throat itchy and raspy. I'm not sure if maybe its because I drip but I have no issues.

patkin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2012
Arizona USA
Remember that the labels on VG (either food grade or pharmaceutical grade) do not say what vegetable the glycerine was made from. If you're allergic to corn for instance, you'll be allergic VG made from it. In fact, unless the vendor specifically states that only VG is used, the glycerin could come from animal sources. We, in this community, are so used to saying "VG" that we use it synonymously with glycerin and its not. I picked up a bottle of USP glycerin at a pharmacy never thinking about that. It could be from an animal source and I suspect it is otherwise it would have said USP Vegetable Glycerin. For this reason, if you're DIYin, I think its best to buy your VG in the food section instead of the pharmacy because it has to state vegetable on the label.

Last edited:

Caridwen

ECF Moderator
Senior Moderator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2011
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/diy-e-liquid/277267-purity-pg-vg-peg-short-version.html

Glycerine should only be inhaled in pharma grade, which is often synthetic. The use of the term VG to describe the glycerine we use for inhalation is probably obsolete now, and stems from the early days of e-cigarette use when there was little use of Glycerine USP and DIYers had a choice between vegetable-source glycerine and animal-source glycerine [1]. Pharma grade glycerine for inhalation - the only type that should be used - is frequently synthetic [2] and therefore absolutely pure, so its origin is irrelevant.

Caridwen

ECF Moderator
Senior Moderator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2011
Thanks for the info. It disagrees with what I've previously read around the net. I do find "frequently synthetic" a bit disturbing implying "not always." Actually, I've used both USP glycerin and the more expensive food grade (FCC requiring sterile equipment) with the same lung results.

You can ask Roly a bit more about that if you need more details.

Zipslack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 26, 2013
Wesson, MS, USA
I'm not sure of the composition difference between pharma grade and food grade, but I do know there is a HUGE price difference. Local pharmacy wanted to charge more for 250ml than I could buy a whole gallon elsewhere.

I am using the cheap stuff from Wal-Mart and I think maybe it does make me a little phlegmy. I currently mix 50/50 and may start playing with the ratio. Maybe 60/40 on the next batch, and then 70/30 until I find my happy spot. I don't have any problems with PG and have vaped 80/20, I just don't care for the harsher TH. I would rather have a little post-nasal drip than the raw throat and cough.

Last edited:

SethGrimm

ECF Veteran
Sep 28, 2012
Jacksonville Florida
I'm glad I'm not the only one. I hear these horror stories of pneumonia and must say that when my VG is too high it feels like I'm getting just that.

From what I understand, the articles that claim VG can cause pneumonia are not based on the form of VG we vape. They are talking about a different variation of VG with oil particles in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread