Topside vs ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coolsiggy

ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2018
Perth, Western Australia
I am using both the Topside Dual and a VV Pulse Dual, very similar in most respects. A few months a go I soak and destroyed a Topside 80watt which was replaced with the Dual. After a few weeks I found that I was refilling both mods using a 510 refill bottle..faster, cleaner. The Pulse mod is lighter and smaller with separation of the bottle and electrics unlike the Topside. I have also found that the Topside battery door on both the single and dual will release randomly, this was the cause of my Topside 80watt failure.
Have other users had problems?

• Optimistic
Reactions: stols001

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I agree about the 510 refill bottle. The downside of course is you still have to refill the refill bottle so it mostly just changes when the messy bit occurs. The topside is hard to compare to older squeeze bottle designs though because it’s so fundamentally different.
As to topside battery doors, are there magnets in the dual? Are they maybe put in backwards? It apparently was a problem with the origional topside according to this thread: Topside squonker from Dovpo

Coolsiggy

ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2018
Perth, Western Australia
As to topside battery doors, are there magnets in the dual? Are they maybe put in backwards? It apparently was a problem with the origional topside according to this thread: Topside squonker from Dovpo

Very interesting, I missed that post. The single bat has 2 small rather weak magnets locate midway on the door with opposing magnets on the mod case with with a slide back keeper hook, on my mod they are not opposing. The dual bat has a single larger- stronger magnet on tip of door aligned with the bottom of the bottle housing....which get this is plastic ??? Crazy...meaning the only thing keeping the door secure in the slide hook also present on the dual. It would appear that the magnet on the door of the dual is there only to secure the bottle cap while filling??
I have noticed that if if put down the dual on a hard surface with a sliding motion the door often opens...small wonder.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Very interesting, I missed that post. The single bat has 2 small rather weak magnets locate midway on the door with opposing magnets on the mod case with with a slide back keeper hook, on my mod they are not opposing. The dual bat has a single larger- stronger magnet on tip of door aligned with the bottom of the bottle housing....which get this is plastic ??? Crazy...meaning the only thing keeping the door secure in the slide hook also present on the dual. It would appear that the magnet on the door of the dual is there only to secure the bottle cap while filling??
I have noticed that if if put down the dual on a hard surface with a sliding motion the door often opens...small wonder.
I did a site search for “topside door” iirc. There was some more stuff there which might or might not apply. More similar site searches may turn up more threads which might be useful.
Heh. That was literally a “might maybe” sentence. I win the squishiness award I guess lol

Coolsiggy

ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2018
Perth, Western Australia
I have a Topside curse....last night when I replaced the batteries the mod displayed 1 battery as faulty or no charge and would not fire. I believe that a small pin near the battery door hinge can fail to connect causing this problem as the door is quite loose. Looking at my Pulse Dual I noticed it also uses a pin to transfer power from the battery to the internal electrics, however this pin is located away from the hinge.

Coolsiggy

ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2018
Perth, Western Australia
I have two Topside Duals since launch, no probs at all with battery door, magnets are strong. and the boards been spot on. why have you not taken it up with whoever you bought it from?

I believe that if you look closely at the mod door you will find only one magnet located opposite the bottle which is plastic and exists to retain the bottle cap when filling. The battery door relies solely on a mechanical hook to secure the door. Because the door hinge is loose only the spring tension from the batteries maintains the door closed, a bump motion can cause the door to open unexpectedly. Unfortunately mod replacement will not fix a design fault.

Car147

Nov 13, 2014
Highlands,Scotland
I believe that if you look closely at the mod door you will find only one magnet located opposite the bottle which is plastic and exists to retain the bottle cap when filling. The battery door relies solely on a mechanical hook to secure the door. Because the door hinge is loose only the spring tension from the batteries maintains the door closed, a bump motion can cause the door to open unexpectedly. Unfortunately mod replacement will not fix a design fault.
As stated. never had a problem, now have three, lol

• Agree
Reactions: score69

score69

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2015
Athens, GA, USA
Most mods that have a bottom hinged door use a mechanical hook and battery tension to keep the door closed. I don't see this in itself a design flaw if it's properly implemented.

I guess any mod like this could be a potential problem depending on:

1) How well the latch mechanism is implemented
2) How much battery pressure your particular cells provide (battery length)
3) How hard and what angle you are 'bumping' the door if it gets hit or dropped

I've hit mine pretty hard with my hand in a bunch of different angles and the door hasn't popped open on me yet. I think I bruised my palm, lol. Granted, it hitting a solid surface would exert more force than hitting it on my hand, but I never 'plan' of slamming it down or dropping it.

As long as mine doesn't loosen up much over time, I only see the door popping open by itself if I drop it. If I drop it on the ground and the door pops open, the batteries popping out won't be my main concern. We'll see if it stays solid over time.

I drop my Pulse 80w all the time, at least a few times/week. The battery pops out, doors go flying, etc. That's my fault though, not the mod. Not saying there aren't Topside OG or Duals out there with battery door latch issues, but all three of my OGs are solid so far. My dual seems solid out of the box, it will see some use and I'll hope it acts the same as my others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread