Total newbie seeking "future" advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

k0rd

Jun 11, 2012
usa
Hey guys and girls.

Earlier this week, I bought a mistic kit from my favorite gas station (and posted my first thread here).

I have reduced my analog intake VERY significantly.. I have smoked cigarettes wearing patches. I've actually quit by myself for a year.. and every cig I smelled... well it smelled like heaven. I am hopelessly addicted to *something*.

So.. These mistics, they helped me reduce my analog intake to about 1/2 as normal. Cool, right? NOT ENOUGH..

So I read a bunch of things - all I could read.. I ended up buying a provari v2 ... it should be here tomorrow.

I got a few cartos from provape.com, as well as an atomizer. I bought a couple of drip tips from elsewhere.

I bought some 5-10 ml bottles (probably about 20 in all) of various flavors... all 24mg strength.. from different suppliers.

I have some questions, if anyone would be so kind as to help me out.

1) I'm going to need a tank, right? I mean - I bought the provari because I knew that the gradual progression to something good would end up costing me in the long run. Does anyone have any recommendations of something that will work well with my new gear?

2) Am I missing something? Does my atomizer need carts or anything weird like that? Should I find a drip shield?

3) The sweeter sounding flavors of juice kinda turn me off. Artificial flavors of *any* of these things usually taste like crap - do die-hard-ex-smokers really like these? I can see the benefits of totally dissociating tobacco taste from nicotine intake, but is it sickening at all? I'm already going to be going through it (or am I?)

Any kind of response is welcome and helpful :)

Pappy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 15, 2012
Dallas, Tx
You don't have to have a tank, although you will probably want one for the convenience of being able to fill it up with juice and vape all day instead of re-filling a carto throughout the day. But, until you find some juices you really like, you probably wouldn't want to fill a tank anyway.

Your atomizer does not need cartridges. You just drip 2-3 drops into the atomizer, put a drip tip on and vape.

I found that I like hardly any of the tobacco flavors I tried, but some people love them. It's all subjective and is just trial and error.

Flyer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 13, 2012
Illinois
Hey guys and girls.

Earlier this week, I bought a mistic kit from my favorite gas station (and posted my first thread here).

I have reduced my analog intake VERY significantly.. I have smoked cigarettes wearing patches. I've actually quit by myself for a year.. and every cig I smelled... well it smelled like heaven. I am hopelessly addicted to *something*.

So.. These mistics, they helped me reduce my analog intake to about 1/2 as normal. Cool, right? NOT ENOUGH..

So I read a bunch of things - all I could read.. I ended up buying a provari v2 ... it should be here tomorrow.

I got a few cartos from provape.com, as well as an atomizer. I bought a couple of drip tips from elsewhere.

I bought some 5-10 ml bottles (probably about 20 in all) of various flavors... all 24mg strength.. from different suppliers.

I have some questions, if anyone would be so kind as to help me out.

1) I'm going to need a tank, right? I mean - I bought the provari because I knew that the gradual progression to something good would end up costing me in the long run. Does anyone have any recommendations of something that will work well with my new gear?

2) Am I missing something? Does my atomizer need carts or anything weird like that? Should I find a drip shield?

3) The sweeter sounding flavors of juice kinda turn me off. Artificial flavors of *any* of these things usually taste like crap - do die-hard-ex-smokers really like these? I can see the benefits of totally dissociating tobacco taste from nicotine intake, but is it sickening at all? I'm already going to be going through it (or am I?)

1.You have a lot of choices in juice delivery systems - atomizers for dripping, cartomizers which hold a small amount of juice in their filler, and various kinds of tanks systems that are variations on a theme of holding a lot of juice and providing a way to vaporize it at will. They all have their advantages and disadvantages. The best option is which meets your needs best. Try each before committing to one or the other.

2. If you are going to use an atomizer to drip, a drip shield is a good idea as dripping can be messy and a shield will keep the juice out of your expensive Provari.

3. Juices are something you have to decide for yourself.

sailorman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Podunk, FLA
Hey guys and girls.

You don't NEED a tank, but they're good to have. I recommend the Vivi Nova V2 or V2.5 tank. It's a lot easier and cleaner tasting than any carto tank. You won't have to worry about trying to match hole size with juice viscosity and you don't have to use up a new carto for every flavor. It's easy to fill, just screw the top off and dump the juice in. There's no filler to alter the taste of your juice, and it comes with 3 heads that last way longer than a cartomizer and cost $3 to replace, if you don't want to re-coil them. Less than $15 for 3 heads and a rebuildable tank is a no-brainer, IMO.

If you want to just drip, all you need are atomizers. A drip shield keeps juice from leaking out of the atomizer. It comes in handy, but it's not absolutely necessary, especially with a stainless mod with no paint or powder coat for the juice to eat through. Don't even think abuot using carts with your atomizer. That's just crazy. Get a drip tip and use atomizers for dripping and to test juice. There is no other real purpose for them. If you like dripping, get atomizers specifically designed for dripping and a drip shield.

I smoked for 40 years. Three packs a day for most of it, so I guess you could say I was "die-hard". It took me about 3 months before I didn't have the slightest interest in tobacco flavored juice. Flavors vary greatly. Some were sickening and some weren't. Some of the most sickening flavors were tobacco based. Most vapers lose their taste for tobacco, or at least tobacco that bears any resemblance to the way cigarettes tasted. Now, I make my own juice and haven't tasted a tobacco type juice in over 2 years.

Looking in front of me at what I have ready to go, I have Black Cherry, Apple Spice Cheesecake, Watermelon, Currants and Grapes, Snickerdoodle, Blackberry and a flavor I can't describe called Black Forest Gateau. Other than the Snickerdoodle, none of them are particularly sweet. For breakfast, I vape Hickory smoked bacon and maple waffles, maybe some good coffe flavor as well. :) Tobacco is disgusting.

k0rd

Jun 11, 2012
usa
You have many options for everything you need. I would start by pinpointing what kind of juice you like. What pg/vg mix you might need for your desired throat hit and what flavors you might like. Check out backwoodsbrew for Don's juice. Super good

ordered a few from there tonight already :) menthol, smoke, and the hunter blend (or whatever it's called)
super excited!

JohnsWorld

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 17, 2012
Southern LA
Hi, I'm new to vaping also (about 1 month). I've been completely off analogs (using mostly an ego c and I like volt ecigs for days at work, shopping, etc). I'm anxious to hear how you like the provari. Seems like every juice I've tried this week is not right (tastes burnt). I'm here searching ECF right now for some answers because I was really enjoying vaping. Anyway, regarding the flavors, I tend to not like the sweet flavors other than caramel. Smooth tobacco flavors work for me with a couple of drops of flavoring like menthol, caramel, cappuccino. Tried and hated lemon, cherry, watermelon.....
Good luck and let us know how it goes for you.

ksnowman

Verified Member
May 23, 2012
Wenatchee, Washington
I'll put in my opinion. First, the only thing that I do is drip. I have never liked cartomizers. I used to smoke heavily and therefore I vape heavily. Cartomizers need to be filled frequently when you use them a lot. I know that sounds odd, but for me it is easier to just drip. I do not get that burnt taste dripping. A thing to keep in mind when you are using a device that can go higher voltage is to keep it wet. The most dangerous time for an atomizer is when they are too dry. I border on over dripping. A burnt taste is mostly caused by the filling being too dry. You will want to stock up on atomizers. The higher the voltage the easier it is to pop one. They are not a perfect devise. I have had ones last weeks and some pop the minute I fire it up.

Tanks have some things to keep in mind. The liquid needs to get into the cartomizer so they need a hole in them. You can purchase caromizers with a hole already in them or you can do it yourself.

I love the Provari. I needed higher voltage to get off smoking. If I was to quit everything and go back to one it would be vaping.

I smoked about a pack and a half a day. I was convinced that I would use tobacco or mental juice. Now, I hardly ever vape either of them. I love having flavor. Anyway, that's my two cents. Dripping is the only way for me.

k0rd

Jun 11, 2012
usa
Alright...

First of all.. if you are considering the provari - DO IT :)

Not that I have much experience - but the quality of the product is superb - I totally didn't expect this.

Next, menthol juice: DONT DO IT :) it's frickin' nasty and doesn't taste like a menthol whatsoever.

I've been vaping kitty kisses from darkcityvapor - DELICIOUS! I have a few more orders on the way - I only bought 5ml of the stuff and my bottle is halfway gone already... my other bottles barely have a few drops missing.

I haven't had to change a battery yet - I got the stock batteries btw.

I am using the condom method for cartos - I hate that I can't seem to remove *every* bit of juice from the threads.. any tips on this?

I have some really good sounding flavors coming - I saw a link in a thread asking about "floral" juices - so I bought a bunch of them.. also bubblegum and a few other yummy sounding ones - As I mentioned earlier- the menthol juice I got was HORRIBLE.. mountain 55 menthol from darkcityvapor. Unfortunately I bought the most of that one -- wish I would have gotten all kitty kisses :)

I still have a weird craving for analogs - I'm wondering if it's not just the ritual (I have a smoking room here at home that I always wander off to to light up). Vaping extends the time between cravings, and I might not be doing it enough (what exactly *IS* a vape session? how long do the rest of you take constant hits from the PV?)

<3 k0rd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread