Not open for further replies.

CheriePie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 24, 2013
SF Bay Area, CA
cheriepie.com
I live in NorCal now but I'm traveling back to Boston tomorrow for 2 weeks to visit family and friends. (A week at Cape Cod followed by a week at my Dad's back in Woburn. Woohoo!)

I'm wondering about the best way to travel with my e-liquid. Since I'll be away for 2 full weeks, I wanted to bring a couple extra bottles of my favorite flavors, transferring them to smaller sizes if they're currently in glass, and I was planning to put those in my checked baggage so as not to overwhelm the small quart size bag of liquids I'm allowed to bring in my carry-on. Also, since I know liquids tend to leak due to pressure, it'll be double bagged, etc.

I plan to keep my mini e-cig (SI Volt) with me and loaded up with cartos attached, but I'm also going to keep my 2 eGo batteries, Zmax mod & LiIon batteries, and some extra clearomizers with me in my carry-on. I discovered from another thread out here that I need to keep my spare LiIon batteries in my carry-on so that was good to know. (Thanks!)

But I'm wondering about my clearomizers. If any of them still have liquid in them, do they have to go in that quart-sized baggie, or can they be left installed on my eGo and just be put in the bin for their inspection separately?

Any specifics or other direct experience or insights from other vapers who've traveled with juices is warmly encouraged.

PS - I thought of just replying in the Flying with Disposables thread but since the subject of that was not really applicable to my case, I thought a new topic would serve me better, and perhaps elicit a few more responses specific to my situation. Thanks!

Last edited:

Ken62

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 23, 2012
Weatherford, Texas
As long as the bottles in your checked baggage are glass there should be no trouble, plastic bottles flex a lot and may leak or explode.

As far as the clearo getting through security; I traveled last week and left my Vivi Nova on my Twist, put it next to my baggie and it didn't even get a second look. The TSA people know what they are.

CheriePie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 24, 2013
SF Bay Area, CA
cheriepie.com
As long as the bottles in your checked baggage are glass there should be no trouble, plastic bottles flex a lot and may leak or explode.

As far as the clearo getting through security; I traveled last week and left my Vivi Nova on my Twist, put it next to my baggie and it didn't even get a second look. The TSA people know what they are.

Oh no, I didn't know that about the plastic vs. glass. :( Unfortunately, I don't have enough glass bottles for the 12 or so juices I'm bringing, and the ones I do have in glass are my 30ml size bottles (which I transferred about 10 ml or so over to plastic). Is there anything I can do to minimize the likelihood of the plastic exploding? I did plan for the leaking as I've seen that plenty of times with other liquids so I planned double bag and ziplock them, but I do want to do everything I can to make sure they don't explode too!

And thanks for the additional info about the clearos on your eGo. My sister was wondering the very same thing, and I may just have to do that myself since I can travel like a bit of a diva when I'm going away for 2 weeks, and my quart baggie is usually stuffed to overflowing as it is. So I'll try to get away with not putting that in my ziplock if I don't need to since I need all the space I can get in that little baggie!

Last edited:

Ken62

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 23, 2012
Weatherford, Texas
CheriePie, just make sure the plastic bottles aren't the cheap-o ones and keep them in a zip lock bag.

You'll be fine :)

OH! There is only 1 thing I would do differently when travelling by air. I will have a smaller battery, 650 vs. 1100, so it isn't so difficult to palm my setup while vaping in the airport.

Travel safe and vape on!!

greebo414

Nov 29, 2009
Texas
I just got back from a vacation. Glad I put my clearos in a ziplock as they leaked a lot. Next time I'm just going to empty them beforehand and refill when I land.

Also, I wasn't sure about the vaping policy in the airport, so I went to the restroom and had a bit of a vape fest before my flight... felt like a hooligan... "vaping in the boy's rooooom"

Last edited:

CheriePie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 24, 2013
SF Bay Area, CA
cheriepie.com
I just got back from a vacation. Glad I put my clearos in a ziplock as they leaked a lot. Next time I'm just going to empty them beforehand and refill when I land.

Also, I wasn't sure about the vaping policy in the airport, so I went to the restroom and had a bit of a vape fest before my flight... felt like a hooligan... "vaping in the boy's rooooom"

I plan to only keep 1 or 2 clearos filled, I do have my mini e-cig after all too. That way too if they make me put it in my quart baggie, I've got a better chance of fitting it than if I've got several going. (Since as I mentioned above, I'm a bit of a diva when I travel with all my skincare products and such so it's waaaaayyyy to easy for me to fill up that teeny quart sized baggie before even taking any e-juice into account! LOL

** Motley Crue tunes springing to mind with your last comment there greebo! Too funny! :laugh:

Last edited:

Unfettered

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 5, 2009
Texas
I was a flight attendant until about a month ago, and while I can't really give much advice on traveling with liquids (we are allowed much more liquid than passengers, so all of mine were carried on), I can tell you that I carried my setups and chargers with no issue at all. I got stopped ONCE by an overzealous TSA agent who told me that my charger "looked more nefarious than he was used to" (wth? whatever, dude.) But I passed through a zillion times before and a zillion times after with no trouble at all.

(I vaped for a while during my flight attendant career before I fell of the wagon and went back to analogs. That's why my counter is only 12 days old. ;) )

But yeah, generally they know what they are and you shouldn't have any problems. :) Just be super careful opening any bottles the first time after landing, because they have a tendency to spill out with the pressure change.

CheriePie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 24, 2013
SF Bay Area, CA
cheriepie.com
I just thought of something else... What about pre-filled cartos, filled by me with my own juice, not pre-bought? Are those treated as liquid? I was thinking not not because the liquid has already soaked into the filler material, right? I'm trying to decide if I need to handle these differently as well. :?:

CheriePie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 24, 2013
SF Bay Area, CA
cheriepie.com
This is good to know as i will traveling on business in a few weeks..i would probably put each plastic juice bottle in its own ziplock so that way if they do leak you can take the bottle out pop the top of and snip a corner of the ziplock to fill back with the leaked out juice.. it may work.. just an idea

Wow, that's an excellent idea RedVixen. And I think I may just have enough little baggies to do that with too! Thanks! and I'll let you know how it works out!

thewrightstuff

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2013
Mineola, NY
I flew from NY to Detroit and back last week (same day business trip....dont ask.......) and travelled with the 400 Mah Spinner, 400 MaH Ego Mini, 2 EVODs, and 2 bottles of juice. I put them all in a quart sized ziploc bag, and both ways, the TSA Agents asked me what they were, but besides that, no big problems taking off, flying, or landing 4 times. The EVODs did leak just a little, due to the cabin pressure, but not too bad. Since I only had a briefcase (carry on), that is where I put them.

Hope that helps.

CheriePie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 24, 2013
SF Bay Area, CA
cheriepie.com
But yeah, generally they know what they are and you shouldn't have any problems. :) Just be super careful opening any bottles the first time after landing, because they have a tendency to spill out with the pressure change.

I hear ya on that! No one wants a face full of e-liquid! No matter how tasty it is to vape!! :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread