Travel and Vaping Batteries/FLying/How many can i carry?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bass2007

Aug 2, 2014
Wisconsin
First time flying with vape gear and want to make the process as painless as possible. WIll be traveling from Milwaukee to Houston to New Orleans (flying United Airline), and plan on bring my Stingray X, Copper Stingray, Mephisto, and Plume Veil for Hardware. And My 4 batteries 2 VTC4 and 2 VTC5s, I know the batteries should be in a storage case to prevent shorting, and in the quart Ziploc bag. MY question is regarding the number of batteries I can bring. According to the TSA/United websites, I can carry two lithium batteries over 100watt-hours. Which the VTC4s are not and the VTC5s are over the 100 watt hour. Am I ok to bring all four or should I take 2 and have the wife take 2? I plan on having two 30mL bottles of juice on me(in my carryon) and the rest in the checked bag. Any caution I should use with any of the gear I am planning on bring? Thanks

Oddibemcd

ECF Veteran
Jul 11, 2014
Long Island
I'm fairly sure that two 18650s that I stupidly left in my checked bag were removed by LAX security. So carry everything on. Print out the TSA website and carry it with you. Be forewarned that an overzealous TSA agent or stewardess may still give you a hard time. I've had zero problems carrying several Li batteries on several different domestic (USA) and international flights.

nyiddle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2014
USA. State: Inebriated.
First time flying with vape gear and want to make the process as painless as possible. WIll be traveling from Milwaukee to Houston to New Orleans (flying United Airline), and plan on bring my Stingray X, Copper Stingray, Mephisto, and Plume Veil for Hardware. And My 4 Batteries 2 VTC4 and 2 VTC5s, I know the batteries should be in a storage case to prevent shorting, and in the quart Ziploc bag. MY question is regarding the number of batteries I can bring. According to the TSA/United websites, I can carry two lithium batteries over 100watt-hours. Which the VTC4s are not and the VTC5s are over the 100 watt hour. Am I ok to bring all four or should I take 2 and have the wife take 2? I plan on having two 30mL bottles of juice on me(in my carryon) and the rest in the checked bag. Any caution I should use with any of the gear I am planning on bring? Thanks

Bring ALL the batteries! Really, I recommend putting them in your luggage. I've done this multiple times and never lost a battery or anything. Same goes with your liquid. Putting stuff in your carry-on almost guarantees they're gonna hassle you, perhaps confiscate. In your luggage they'll get looked at (if your bags get searched) and that's about it. I also recommend putting all your vape stuff together, so that if a TSA guy sees it he understands that it's all vape-related, and not a stray battery here and there (which looks far sketchier).

I have brought batteries in my carry-on, but I have gotten comments. Also they were a bit concerned about my MVP (moreso than my mech mod, which I've always thought resembles a pipebomb).

But yeah, I've seen GrimmGreen's carry-on vape kit and it's pretty insane (if not excessive). You should be good. Keeping everything in the same spot is kind of important I think, because it lets an uneducated TSA member know that these are all your vape things, and it's like a "hobby kit", not a "bomb-making kit".

Might be worth it to split some vape gear with your wife too (if you have a whole lot of stuff), just so that if something DOES get confiscated, you're not left entirely without a vape.

My friend brought a machete in his carry-on once, and TSA interrogated him, but ended up letting him fly with it.

LDS714

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2013
Nashville, TN, USA
I believe it's against regulations to put lithium batteries in checked luggage. I always carry on, usually with about a half-dozen 18650s for my VTR and two or three eGos as well as a couple of MVPs. I've never gotten any grief from TSA, and actually had some pretty good discussions about various types of eliquids with some TSA officers. One lady said she was going to order some from one of my local shops when I let her try my ADV. :vapor:

One thing to keep in mind is that tanks WILL leak with the pressure changes. If you must carry a tank with liquid, put it in a zip lock bag. Cartos work well if you need to have something handy for a quick vape now and then (I'm not advocating vaping on the plane). I keep a 350 mAh eG0 with a carto of unflavored high nic on me for a quick hit in the airport if trapped behind security for a long time (like a couple of weeks ago for 14 hours at O'Hare when that nimrod tried to burn down the air traffic control center).

Archer74

ECF Veteran
Sep 26, 2009
Illinois
Batteries installed in devices that are turned off can be in checked baggage. Uninstalled/spare batteries must me in carry-on luggage and must be protected from short circuits. You can carry-on as many as you can as long as your batteries are under 8grams electronic lithium content(ELC)

8g ELC = 100 watt hours(wh)

wh = mAh/1000 x V

fogging_katrider

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 31, 2013
Tennessee USA
Huh?

So.. What about a locked mod? Is that technically a "device that is turned off"?

Actually, the best insurance against unintentional firing is only when the mod does not have anything attached to it...no atty on it !
This would insure that it's safe from any idiot tsa agents unlocking it.
Although I wouild just put all batteries in individual silicone protective sleeve cases.

shortdraw

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2014
Kodiak
I just returned from a vacation that involved 9 separate flights, I brought quite a bit of gear. 2 18650's, 3 18350's, 3 kanger aerotech tanks, a tugboat atty, an itaste svvd, and a Vanilla mod, plus 6 15ml bottles of liquid in my carry on. TSA security didn't bat an eye when my supplies went through the scanner, and no questions were asked. These folks have seen it all, your vape gear is nothing out of the ordinary for them.

quinngia

Moved On
Sep 8, 2014
New York
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Unregistered Supplier

servolos

ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2011
greeley colorado
in response to the watt hour rule: a 3.7 volt 2500 mAH is 9250 mWH or 92.5 watt hours. Makes sense as i have carried about a dozen of them onto a flight. You do have to carry them in yoru carry on as the airlines do not have extinguishers that can extinguish lithium fires in the cargo compartments. aside from that the best advice is from quinngia: ask the airline you intend to travel on.

personally I may have 1 active mod, something common like an svd that is locked and off with a 1 ohm dripper for use when i am NOT in a plane but at the airport in a smoking area or outside. everything else is dissassembled and in a clear plastic case, mods in one compartment, dry drippers and empty tanks in another, batteries in a separate compartment with electrical tape over the positive and negative terminals, and rebuild stuff in a separate area of the container. my liquids go in the quart plastic bag. as many as i can fit. i usually buy the toiletries usually stowed in there when i get to my destination as the travel bottles for my home stuff always leaks.

uab9253

ECF Veteran
Jun 27, 2014
Salisbury MD
I believe it's against regulations to put lithium batteries in checked luggage. I always carry on, usually with about a half-dozen 18650s for my VTR and two or three eGos as well as a couple of MVPs. I've never gotten any grief from TSA, and actually had some pretty good discussions about various types of eliquids with some TSA officers. One lady said she was going to order some from one of my local shops when I let her try my ADV. :vapor:

One thing to keep in mind is that tanks WILL leak with the pressure changes. If you must carry a tank with liquid, put it in a zip lock bag. Cartos work well if you need to have something handy for a quick vape now and then (I'm not advocating vaping on the plane). I keep a 350 mAh eG0 with a carto of unflavored high nic on me for a quick hit in the airport if trapped behind security for a long time (like a couple of weeks ago for 14 hours at O'Hare when that nimrod tried to burn down the air traffic control center).

I got past the leak by turning my clearomizers upside down, and loosening them just a tad after pressurization. Kind of like burping tupperware or letting your ears pop. I learned that trick the messy, hard way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread