Not open for further replies.

AbqDave

Verified Member
Apr 21, 2013
Albuquerque, NM, USA
Tested:

A five-pack of 3.0 -3.2 ohm heads
Six 2.2-2.4 heads, which I believe is stock

Tested with GE brand multimeter (Walmart). Figures corrected for the internal resistance of the meter.

3.0-3.2
--------------

2.2-2.4
--------------

If we assume an average voltage of 3.7V, the wattage range is:
3.9 ohms --> 3.5 watts
3.0. --> 4.56
2.9. --> 4.72
2.0. --> 6.85

Wattage correlates best with the vaping experience, and some say the ideal wattage range is 4.1 - 8, depending on the juice and personal preference. I think most people would be inclined to go for the highest wattage they can without getting a burnt taste.

With the Triton tanks, there are other factors that can contribute to a burnt taste, most notably how well the wick can keep up with the coil. But let's assume the wicks are working as they should, which they usually do.

There are two ways to increase wattage. One, you can get a variable voltage device and crank up the voltage. The other is to keep the voltage the same and swap out your atomizer with one of lower resistance.

The disadvantage of the second approach is that you might really have to flog your battery. In the Triton, for example, you could get at 8 watts by using a 1.7 ohm atomizer. However this would draw about 2.2 amps, and this type of battery typically doesn't like that big a draw. It wears the battery out faster. So for most ego-style batteries, 7 watts is about as good as it gets.

There's probably not a lot Halo can do about the consistency of the atomizers as they come from the factory; although as the product matures, I'll bet that improves over time. Meanwhile, there are a couple of reasonable conclusions.

1. The triton tanks, as they come stock, are likely to give you a pretty consistently good vape. If you're getting burnt hits, I would suggest you're going to be happier looking at factors other than atomizer resistance, such as, are your wicks dry, are they being pinched by the silicone collar, and how hard you're flogging the fire button.
2. If you really want to fine tune the experience, you're gonna need variable voltage.
3. It is possible, using stock atomizers, to exceed a 2 amp draw with a vv device (4.4 volts with 2.0 ohms gives 9.7 watts from 2.2 amps). Therefore, the higher resistance atomizers might be a better match. If you have a 3 ohm atomizer, and you vary the voltage from 3.3 to 4.4V, the wattage varies from 3.6 - 6.5 without exceeding 1.5 amps.
4. If you get really persnickety, run down to Wally World and get a multimeter. On a variable volt device, shoot for 2.4 - 3 ohms and don't go lower than 2.2 ohms. On a stock system, stick with the 2.2 - 2.4 atomizers; just test them, and save the higher-resistance ones for your more delicate fluids.

Detail Man

ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2013
Indiana USA
Thank you, Albuquerque Dave for this. :)
I'm new to this hobby and learning something new every day. I've had a G6 for 2 weeks but I am already looking at bigger devices. Was really looking at a Triton starter kit w/2 batteries but, now since I'm not ready to accept fooling around with an ohm/volt meter yet, I'm holding out for the Triton VV Twist.

AbqDave

Verified Member
Apr 21, 2013
Albuquerque, NM, USA
Thank you, Albuquerque Dave for this. :)
I'm new to this hobby and learning something new every day. I've had a G6 for 2 weeks but I am already looking at bigger devices. Was really looking at a Triton starter kit w/2 batteries but, now since I'm not ready to accept fooling around with an ohm/volt meter yet, I'm holding out for the Triton VV Twist.

I don't think you can beat the Triton as a starter kit. The wattage range in the stock unit is well suited to Halo liquids. Plus, I don't think you can beat a 650mA Triton as a "carry piece." But yeah, if you want something to fiddle with, I think vv is clearly the path to follow in this product line.

PeteC2

ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2013
Bristol, CT
I don't get too yanked out about multimeter readings on these...the tiniest hint of oil off your fingers, placement of the probes, etc. will easily account for several tenths of an ohm difference, I think that the 2.2 - 2.4 designation on the standard coils is close enough and coils are not really high-tolerance parts to begin with so a little variance is no big woof.

Some dessert-type vapes do behave better at a higher resistance, as they can often get harsh with even a modest amount of power, as tobacco flavors generally shine at lower resistance, which is where a vv battery can be a great fine-tune for those who vape a variety of ejuices.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread