RDA Troll or Freakshow?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BluzKing

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
Houston, TX
If your really into Mouth2Lung, both of these will probably have too much natural airflow, in my opinion. I've got both, and while you can restrict the airflow, it sorta defeats the purpose of either one.

That being said, I do direct ling hits, and my preference is the Troll. The Freakshow is a little more difficult to build, and is more prone to leaking as a result of the smaller juice well and placement of the coils in relation to the airflow. Unless I'm very careful when dripping, I'll have leaking issue with the Freakshow. Good luck!

Reactions: heeree

jnslprd

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 16, 2013
LINY
If your really into Mouth2Lung, both of these will probably have too much natural airflow, in my opinion. I've got both, and while you can restrict the airflow, it sorta defeats the purpose of either one.

That being said, I do direct ling hits, and my preference is the Troll. The Freakshow is a little more difficult to build, and is more prone to leaking as a result of the smaller juice well and placement of the coils in relation to the airflow. Unless I'm very careful when dripping, I'll have leaking issue with the Freakshow. Good luck!
Thanks for the advice looking locally for other options now, just want to get something today. I think O located a store that has Magmas locally and from what I have read this might be a better way to go.
thanks

I've got the freakshow, but not the troll. The freakshow is very tricky to build on so it doesn't leak. In fact, I haven't had one successful build yet that hasn't leaked. From what others say, it is possible to build without leaking, but I haven't been able to do it yet.

I agree with the airflow thing also. I'm sure you can do MTL hits, but you would really have to choke it off and close the AF almost all of the way to get a satisfying draw. IMO, drippers are made with lung hits in mind. Perhaps I'm wrong, but that how I feel.

ObsceneJesster

ECF Veteran
Apr 14, 2012
Baltimore
One of my favorite RDA's is the Freakshow. I hated it until I learned how to build it correctly and ever since then, I don't have any leaking issues. The way it's designed allows for maximum flavor. That air just rolls right over the coils and pushes the flavor in to your pie hole.

For those wondering what the trick is with the Freakshow:

Most of the leaking isn't due to over filling the well. Most of it comes from the juice running down the cotton and then either into the air holes or over the side. You must do a center post build to eliminate the juice from rolling off the cotton and then down the sides. Place the coils so that only a tiny bit hang over the air holes. Wicking is the most important part. Pull your cotton through like you normally would and then thin the ends out. Bring the ends away from the sides and stuff part of them in between the posts. When you drip, make sure you are dripping right down the center on top of the posts and it will run down and hit the cotton. You can even cover the top of the wicks with liquid if you want.

Also the chuff cap really comes in handy with this RDA. That way, you can really see what you are dripping on to.

tFOrRESTee

Nov 3, 2014
USA
One of my favorite RDA's is the Freakshow. I hated it until I learned how to build it correctly and ever since then, I don't have any leaking issues. The way it's designed allows for maximum flavor. That air just rolls right over the coils and pushes the flavor in to your pie hole.

Most of the leaking isn't due to over filling the well. Most of it comes from the juice running down the cotton and then either into the air holes or over the side. You must do a center post build to eliminate the juice from rolling off the cotton and then down the sides. Place the coils so that only a tiny bit hang over the air holes. Wicking is the most important part. Pull your cotton through like you normally would and then thin the ends out. Bring the ends away from the sides and stuff part of them in between the posts. When you drip, make sure you are dripping right down the center on top of the posts and it will run down and hit the cotton. You can even cover the top of the wicks with liquid if you want.

Also the chuff cap really comes in handy with this RDA. That way, you can really see what you are dripping on to.

Pic please? Leaking only happens when I overfill it but I will try what u said but still a pic is better than a thousand words :) thanks!

ObsceneJesster

ECF Veteran
Apr 14, 2012
Baltimore
I don't have troll but I have the freakshow. My favorite was used to be the mutation x v2 but this freakshow blows mutation miles away. It's got great flavor and cloud. But like another poster said it can be leaky if I overfill it. I made 9 wraps of 24g dual coils on the freakshow and now I hardly use other RDAs any more.

Same exact sentiment. I have a Mutation X V3 and the Freakshow blows it out of the water. I'm assuming it is better than the Troll as well since the Mutation and the Troll pretty much share the same exact air flow set up.

I can blow bigger clouds with the Mutation but the Freakshow gives much better flavor with good enough clouds.

I'm going to have to try this. I always assumed that the coils had to sit about 50% over the airflow, in order to keep that awesome flavor. If it wasn't for the leaking, the freakshow could easily be my favorite RDA. The flavor is absolutely ridiculously delicious. It's not bad at clouding either....but the flavor- holy geez! I haven't found anything that comes close to the Freakshow in terms of flavor. Maybe the Doge, but it's like night and day compared to the freak.

jnslprd

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 16, 2013
LINY
Bought a cheap, cheap did I say cheap? Magma clone for $18 thanks to Clean vapor for not taking advantage of a newbie. So far I like the flavor it was built with a single coil 12 wrap 24g cotton wicked coil reading .8 ohms running 40 watts on my Istick 50. Now here is the kicker, I wish there was more air flow. My sub tank fully open has way more air flow than this RDA on its biggest holes. I will continue to learn on it and will probably get the Freakshow next.

Thanks to everyone for all the replies and help.

Last edited:

AC81

ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2015
Connecticut
I have two Trolls and think they're utterly fantastic flavor cloud generators.

I can't imagine trying to use them for mtl. I don't think they'd be very enjoyable that way.

Do you have a problem with the chamber not being that tight around the base of the Troll? (I mean the part with the air flow slots) It seems to not really hold which is annoying because sometimes my coils won't be in front of the air flow. I also have been thinking I should install a coil on a slant to kind of mimic the way the air flow goes? Anybody done this or seen it done? I think it would disperse the heat and flavor better.

Reactions: VictorViper

VictorViper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2013
Vancouver
www.thisoldneon.com
Bear in mind I use the Mini, but I angle my coils and it works great. I hate having uneven legs and building this way allows you to get the same airflow coverage without having a centimetre-long leg on one side.

Keeping in mind the wicking recommendation above from ObsceneJesster, you'll need to tweak a little for the off-centre build.

Vapenstein

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2010
Do you have a problem with the chamber not being that tight around the base of the Troll? (I mean the part with the air flow slots) It seems to not really hold which is annoying because sometimes my coils won't be in front of the air flow. I also have been thinking I should install a coil on a slant to kind of mimic the way the air flow goes? Anybody done this or seen it done? I think it would disperse the heat and flavor better.

No, but my Royal Hunter is like that. It doesn't make me like it any less, the RH is a great atty. My Troll is nice and tight on the base.

Mike 586

ECF Veteran
Dec 6, 2014
Ottawa
I honestly can't recommend something like the Freakshow or other builds with that kind of airflow as a 1st time RDA.

I'd suggest something along the lines of an Odin, considering you prefer mouth to lung. Its small, simple, with a small chamber and restricted air flow making it a great flavor atty, its easy to work with for single or dual coil setups. Personally I think you'd be far happier with something like that than either the Troll or Freakshow which are aimed at a different style of vape.

If its a hard choice between the Troll and Freakshow, I'd have to go with the Troll. Getting a decent single coil build would be a lot easier for a 1st time RDA user but again, its really geared towards a far airier vape than you're after.

AC81

ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2015
Connecticut
That sucks dude. Maybe fiddle with the positive pin? I took it out when I first got it and cleaned some gunk out of there. This chamber still spins on the base, my Doge sits tight on the deck and is much better in that regard. The troll allows a lot more juice in the well though. I can rip a good 7-10 lung hits possibly more on there with a dual coil setup. I think the flavor is fantastic actually. Anybody who is dripping for the first time either on a single or dual coil is gojng to notice a big uptick in flavor anyway. I wouldn't get a freakshow or one of those bottom air flow RDAs for my first either. Who wants to deal with leaking? Just grab an Rda with a deep well and a deck that os easy to build on. It will taste great.

Reactions: heeree
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread