Status
Not open for further replies.

jamtwo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2014
In the D, MI
Hey everyone,

Got a quick tech question. I've got a kayfun undead, it's authentic, and for some reason, I'm getting somewhat inconsistent wicking ability from it. I just rewicked it again last night, went through a tank and everything was good, refilled, and now I'm getting more dry hits than not. For what it's worth I'm running a 1.7 ohm build with 28 kanthal, wicking with Japanese cotton cut to around 4-5mm wide and maybe a little over an inch in length. I was sure when putting everything together that the wick didn't block the juice channels, the only thing that may have changed is some of the juice. I first just vaped through some mister e which is like 70/30 high pg, but there is a possibility some Cuttwood got mixed in with my mister e, which is very high VG. I guess my question is, still being somewhat new to the Kayfun, are the juice channels really that restricted that the tiny bit of higher VG would have that much trouble getting to the wick? Also, what is a good blend for a kayfun for best results? I love this kayfun, so failure is not an option [emoji2] . Thanks all.

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
I think that's possible that the kayfun would have trouble with high vg. It does have small juice channels.

I cut my wick tails to the top of the chimney, then gently tuck them down to just below those top chimney threads.

Did you overfill? If so, doing primer puffs may help until the liquid level comes down some.

I have used everything from 50/50 vg/pg to 90/10 vg/pg in my kayfun and have not had trouble getting them to work after my initial difficulties learning to wick the device (which there were many) Here is a a video I watched that really changed the way I wicked my device and fixed all my troubles, my dry hits and my gurgling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycMDC9PkGT8

I hope it helps. I got a kayfun for free from a friend who was not willing to learn how to build it after repeated failures and covering his hand (and one device) in juice. I fought with it, it turned out I was being way to complicated about it.

There are probably some other opinions about how to wick your kayfun and those that disagree with the method in this video but it worked for me very well, even on coils with a higher resistance than shown.

Make sure your not running your device too hot if you have a vv/vw type vaporizer. it takes a little time for the juice to get to the coil, not much but a little. and if you fire the device right after you fill it (like instantly) and you vaped it dry you will have a burnt flavor even if your wick works.

Another thing to keep in mind: Mine feeds fine I run a 2.5 ohm coil, but at 45 watts it does not matter how well it works, it burns. I usually run it at anywhere from 9.5-12.5 watts and works well. I mention this because on the edge of what will work, around 30ish watts it requires I prime it and it has to stay wet, the juice feeding channels just don't keep up real well with that wattage, I don't mind it was just a test anyway but it might help you depending on where your running yours at. You may, with thicker juice with to reduce your power a little to help keep the wick wet. High VG seems to get hot faster and holds more heat I use less power and still get good vapor.

Also, an inch of Koh Gen Do cotton that is the full thickness of the pad you cut it from at 5mm wide sounds like just a bit more wick than you might need. I really mean just a bit, a little less might be better.

I hope this helps, let us know how it goes for you!

jamtwo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2014
In the D, MI
Makes so much more sense, I didn't think it was the wick, and it seemed to work better sometimes once the fluid level came down. Guess it's more advanced than I first thought lol.

Anemephistus, thanks for the video, although the Kayfun he's using is different than the one I am primarily using, it did help tremendously with the Kayfun clone I put on the shelf because I was sure it was messed up due to bad flavor and leaks. Thanks!

Anemephistus, thanks for the video, although the Kayfun he's using is different than the one I am primarily using, it did help tremendously with the Kayfun clone I put on the shelf because I was sure it was messed up due to bad flavor and leaks. Thanks!

I'm glad it helped, it helped me too. Kayfun style tanks are amazing for flavor, but there are elements of them that are just plain touchy. Your not alone in having trouble with them. I eagerly await the engineer that refines the concept in a way that makes them perfectly solid.

Neolithium

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 15, 2014
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Half the time when I refilled my Kayfun, the wick would shift just from refilling and plug the juice channels. Annoyed me to no end. I would have to occasionally drain it, reseat the wick and carefully refill and it would be good to go for another tank. I think it's just picky with those channels - I had no desire to do neurosurgery on a RTA and mine has been collecting dust LOL.

jamtwo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2014
In the D, MI
Well, time to dig this thread back up for a little more assistance.

So, I'm still getting some funny behavior out of my Kayfun Undead, not the same as before, but now, the vape is hotter than normal. I'm running a 1.7 ohm coil, between 10-10.5 watts, equating to about 4.2-4.3v and it is kind of burning a bit. I'm vaping Mister E 6mg nic, which with my Nautilus Mini has an excellent taste, the Kayfun is still producing a great taste, but less vapor, and like I mentioned, hotter vapes. I rewicked it using some Maxim Hygiene organic non-chlorine cotton. Not sure if I'm not using enough wick or what the problem is. I thought it was pretty well wicked, I used the method of threading the cotton through the coil, putting the lower chimney on, and trimming the cotton just above the chimney and rolling it down in.

Any advice or anyone experienced this with a Kayfun? Anyone got a recommendation for a fix?

Thanks as always!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread