trying different flavors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
With a kr808d-1, as is, not really. You can however, get a Kr808-batt-to-510-atty adapter (I think madvapes has them), and get a few 510 attys, or 306 attys, and a few drip tips, so you can get the idea of the juices before you fill a carto. Of course this will cost some $$, but the will last a long time if this is their only purpose...or you might really like them.

The other option, cheaper, is to simply put a drop of the juice on your finger and taste it while breathing in. That often will simulate the vapor flavor fairly closely. Won't tell you how well it hits, but its a good flavor test.

Then again, I'm not one to use a fresh carto with a new juice. I just vape the old flavor for a bit and drip in the new one. Generally it is juice near the top of the carto that is vaped off first. Old and new flavors can often remain fairly separate, even in a carto. Of course, if the flavors clash...like do NOT mix black walnut with pecan!!...then this is an issue.

zerominusone

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 9, 2011
in your house
I've accidentally got some juice in my mouth from the cartomizer (BLAUCK) so the finger-tasting is out. I just did some pricing and with the 510 (adapter, atomizer, drip tip) the cost will be $15.94 + shipping from three different stores. The 306 (same adapter, drip tip, LR atomizer) is 12.93 + shipping from two stores. So if there's no other way, guess I'll be going with the 306. After I get all that stuff, I just put a drop or two into the atomizer and try it? Thanx for you help.

Lisa66

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2011
Florida
Yes, basically. I'm far from knowledgeable on this subject. There are many different techniques.

One thing to consider is that some atty's come with a primer on them that has to be blown out or burned off. It won't hurt you, it just doesn't taste good. The ones I mentioned above don't seem to have that issue.

What I do is to drip about 4 drops, one at a time (allowing each to soak in) onto the bridge of the atty. It may take a drop or two more initially, depending on the size of the drop and the wicking ability of the atty. The bridge is the metal/mesh-y looking part you see inside the atty. Then pop on a drip tip and take a drag. You'll be able to get a few drags out of it before you get a metallic burned taste, which means you have a dry atty, which you don't want. You'll get the hang of it.

When I want to change flavors while testing, I take the atty off the battery, take the drip tip off and blow hard through the mouth end while holding a paper towel at the battery end, a few times, until no more juice comes out. It can get a little messy, so paper towels are good to have on hand. This gets most of the excess juice out. Then I start with another flavor. I do get some flavor "overlap" but after a couple of drags the new flavor takes over. Beware that some very strong flavors (wintergreen, for example) are very hard to remove from an atty....

Because I only use the atty's for testing and they sit for a while, I clean them after each testing session. I use vodka - mainly because I read about it somewhere and it's what I had on hand (everclear, too, I hear, as well as a vinegar/baking soda combo, or just vinegar.....). It works for me. I wouldn't use rubbing alcohol. I soak them in a little container with a cap for an hour or overnight, swish it around, blow it out, rinse with water, blow that out and let it air dry.

Again, I'm an amateur with atty's. There are many techniques for using them and cleaning them that are good. I would recommend looking in the Atomizer Issues sub-forum to get ideas. You may find some methods you like better.

One more thing: I do recommend getting at least two atty's so you have a backup. I got three since they are so cheap at the above source and my shipping was only $2.25.

Good luck!

bobsyeruncle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Sep 5, 2010
    in a cave, eh?
    Um, if you have an auto battery, I wouldn't recommend dripping.

If you have a manual battery, a 901 atty with a drip tip (a 510 drip tip is compatible) will work.

If you don't have a manual battery, you might consider complimenting your system with a USB 510-threaded passthrough, a 306 atty and a 306 drip tip. The passthrough makes it pricier, but if you think you might get caught between charges without a PV, it might be a nice addition to your setup.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread