Status
Not open for further replies.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I see nothing wrong with smok products.
My personal bias against smok products goes back several years, including when I worked in a vape shop that sold smok products. Hence my self-coined phrase, "We make cheap, we sell cheap. When it break, you buy another. :thumbs:"

If one scans the ECF threads over time as I do, I think they will find a disproportionately high number of SMOK products that have had both minor and major issues. This undoubtedly comes from poor quality control. They are one of the few companies that had to recall an entire line of regulated mods because so many went up in smoke (no pun).

About a year ago my son showed me a new mod he had just purchased. I had to hold back a grimmace when I saw it was a SMOK. A few months later I saw he was using a different mod and asked what happened to the one he was using a few months ago. He said it stopped working. Why was I not surprised?

I'm not alone in having this bias. List of Recalled/Flawed mods?

I have a right to express my opinion, as do you.

Last edited:

dom qp

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2015
South Central... Ontario
My personal bias against SMOK products goes back several years, including when I worked in a vape shop that sold SMOK products. Hence my self-coined phrase, "We make cheap, we sell cheap. When it break, you buy another. :thumbs:"

If one scans the ECF threads over time as I do, I think they will find a disproportionately high number of SMOK products that have had both minor and major issues. This undoubtedly comes from poor quality control. They are one of the few companies that had to recall an entire line of regulated mods because so many went up in smoke (no pun).

About a year ago my son showed me a new mod he had just purchased. I had to hold back a grimmace when I saw it was a SMOK. A few months later I saw he was using a different mod and asked what happened to the one he was using a few months ago. He said it stopped working. Why was I not surprised?

Let's not forget the lady who had hers blow up recently, posted in general discussion.

I'd never buy Smok because i'm Canadian. They don't offer any warranties here. The only assurance you have is from the place of purchase, usually for 30 days. I find that suspect in of itself.

NealBJr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Lawrenceville, Ga.
My personal bias against SMOK products goes back several years, including when I worked in a vape shop that sold SMOK products. Hence my self-coined phrase, "We make cheap, we sell cheap. When it break, you buy another. :thumbs:"

I have scanned the threads as well. I don't want this to turn into any sort of argument, but I find it hard to single out one company due to defects. There have been many others who have had major defects/issues, not just Smok.

Evolve DNA 30 had reverse polarity issues, where the chip fried if you put the battery on backwards.
Cloupor mini 30w had a batch that would catch fire.
Sigeli 100 had reverse threaded center pin, and everyone kept screwing it down too tight ruining the mod.
Pioneer4u PV6 had reverse polarity and battery door issues causing it to fire at 200w.
Wismec 2/3 had a press fit 510, where the 510 could just pop off.
Eleaf Istick 50 had autofiring issues, and if I remember correctly, it would overheat pretty badly as well.
Joytech Cuboid has a faulty center pin soldier, causing a broken wire to come loose eventually

Pretty much every company has had issues, even multiple issues. Now a days, you need to look at the mods independently, and not necessarily the past problems of other mods. It is more on the lines of calling the Ford Mustang a death trap because they had a similarly four wheeled care called the Ford Pinto catch fire.

I personally do not like most of SMOK's products... not because of safety issues, but because of their aesthetics and buttons. I do not see any need to single them out as a bad company. Over the many years of vaping, I have had a few mods that have passed the test of time. My Ego twists are still working (albeit much reduced battery life). Retired, but not by defects. My Vamo V5 is still fully working, but I have went well past the 15w limit, My cloupor mini+ 50W is still rock solid, and my mini 30W was passed on to someone else, but still worked. My Sigeli 100 (with reversed center pin) still works fine and with the original center pin, but I don't like it's feel and size. My releaux RX200 is my go to, and still my main at home mod.

In short, EVERY company has had "issues". Eleaf, Smok, Cloupor, Sigeli, Wismec, Eleaf, and Joytech are some of the name brands of vaping. They've all put out some fantastic mods over the years, and some flops as well. I try and take a look at each item individually. So far, I have not heard of any problems with the SMOK Tpriv line.

• Informative
Reactions: stols001

aikanae1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2013
az
so after being told by just about everyone who responded I've decided to buy a new vape I'm buying a Smok G-Priv 2 Luxe Edition from a friend for $80 I would now like to know what I should look for when inspecting the vape before buying it.
I'm glad to hear your looking at alternatives but is there a reason why your buying used from a friend rather than new from a store?

Are you underage?

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

• Agree
Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread