Eddie.Willers

ECF Wiki SysOp
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 3, 2011
Prairie Canada
Well, I am certainly hooked on vaping! :vapor:

I am now looking at large, cylindrical models that use commercial batteries.
What do I go for?

I like MadVapes Roughstack - good price for the kit and good looking piece.
I like the GLV2 from Great Lakes - super smooth design and the 5v version seems sweet!
Then there's the Chuck - Brutally Beautiful!

I don't need variable voltage and I don't want to pay more than about $120 for the PV and batteries.

Anyone have any ideas?

Flebo

Nov 20, 2009
While I don't have any of the mods you listed, I've heard good things about all three of them. I would; however, look at all mechanical mod. They seem to less problems with the switch failing, but are generally more expensive. I own two all mechanical mods: a copper (2 years old), and an xhaler (9 months old). I highly recommend the xhaler, and an xhaler with batteries will easily be under $120. Any problems with the switch on those mods has been easily fixed by cleaning the switch, something that is not easily done on non mechanical mods (leaving you with a broken unit)

Eddie.Willers

ECF Wiki SysOp
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 3, 2011
Prairie Canada
...I would; however, look at all mechanical mod. They seem to less problems with the switch failing, but are generally more expensive...

That's a very good point and one that I had considered - it's the reason I like the look of both the Chuck and the Roughstack.

I looked at the Sparkplug - just $30 for a kit with 2 batteries and charger? How do they offer an American product at such a low cost?

Anyone else got any more suggestions?

six

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2011
under the blue sky
I'm a rough stack owner. The maxi rough stack doesn't look so rough with the new version 2. An 18650 gives you 3.7v vaping. A pair of 16340 3.0v gives you 6.0v. And the 5.ov megladon battery from electronicstix (and madvapes should be selling that battery in the next few days) gives you 5.0v.

Neither of my switches has given me any trouble. They are a 3 amp switch and user replaceable with just the turn of a nut. And a replacement switch is only 14 bucks.

That said, the GLV2 is on my list of future purchases... and it is getting close to the top. I think my next purchase will be a bottom feeder, and then the GLV2.

dmdonald2

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2010
michigan
What about the Icon or the Prodigy V3.1 from Puresmoker.com. The Icon is a straight 3.7v device and the Prodigy V3.1 is a 3.7v or 6v device. Plus they are both mechanical. I have the Prodigy V3.1 and I love it at both 3.7v and 6v. They both also have a locking mechanism on them. The Icon takes 14500 900 mah batteries and the Prodigy will take either a 17670 1600 mah battery or 2 LifePO4 750 mah batteries.

Last edited:

cskent

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2010
Ohio
Lets see, under $120, big batt. There's lots of choices. Try Altsmoke for their BB, SB, Omega, or Alpha. The BB and Alpha take 14500's while the SB and Omega take 18650's. I've got both the SB and Omega and they're both solid, well built mods. I've also got a Maxi Roughstack and for the price it's not bad but it plays backup to my others. It's not built nearly as good as the Altsmoke mods.

There's lots more on the market in your price range. Look here for a list of some of the current tube mods Battery Tube e-Cig Mods | e-Cigarette Mods Database.

billherbst

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2010
Columbia, Missouri
www.billherbst.com
Voltage options are a great feature in a PV. They expand the vaping experience very significantly.

Any tube mod that takes an 18650 battery can provide voltage options: 3.7V with an 18650, 5V with electronicstix/madvapes special 5 volt nimh battery, or 6V with 2 stacked rcr123a 3.0 batteries (either protected li-ions or lifepo4s).

In variable voltage tube mods under $120, choice is more limited, but still good: the Buzz (one of the first VVs available) and the Infinity are both worth checking out. The Buzz is sturdier and better manufactured; the Infinity is sleeker and has the advantage of voltage adjustment via a thumbwheel (versus the small screw head adjustor of the Buzz, which requires a tiny screwdriver).

Personally, I own seven VV mods (all boxes), two Omegas (chrome and silver vein), and a MaxiRoughStack. I love all my VVs, but I continue to feel that my Omegas are terrific---beautifully designed and flawlessly manufactured, as well as being darn near indestructible (all mechanical). I run both Omegas exclusively at 6 volts with 3-ohm cartos or 1.5-ohm dual coil cartos, and they're wonderful. I prefer how the silver vein (black with a crinkled finish) feels in my hand over the chrome finish.

Silversmyth

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 23, 2011
Indiana
Until the 17th--can still get the SP2 w/ thermo for 29.99.
Add a end cap and top cap--you have 2 complete mods .(can go 3.7 or 6V with thermo)
Have mine and like it

That's a very good point and one that I had considered - it's the reason I like the look of both the Chuck and the Roughstack.

I looked at the Sparkplug - just $30 for a kit with 2 batteries and charger? How do they offer an American product at such a low cost?

JD1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
KY
.........I looked at the Sparkplug - just $30 for a kit with 2 batteries and charger? How do they offer an American product at such a low cost?

I think the batteries that come with SP2 are not protected. They may be of the type that doesn't explode but I'd rather have protected batteries. I also think you have to watch the charger and get your batteries off to prevent over charging. I took a look at getting the basic SP2 and getting batteries and charger separately but decided to go with the e-power. I've had the e-power since monday, and since I like it, of course I'm recommending it to everyone lol. The e-power should be considered a 510 mod and not an ego clone.

Eddie.Willers

ECF Wiki SysOp
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 3, 2011
Prairie Canada
Thanks for the advice guys - I'm gonna go with the Sparkplug SP2, buy some proper protected batteries for it and a 801/510 adapter. Even with those 'extras' it wipes the floor price-wise.

My first mod and I'll have to wait until I can get to McAllen, TX to go pick it up (in about 2months).

Silversmyth

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 23, 2011
Indiana
Thanks for the advice guys - I'm gonna go with the Sparkplug SP2, buy some proper protected batteries for it and a 801/510 adapter. Even with those 'extras' it wipes the floor price-wise.

My first mod and I'll have to wait until I can get to McAllen, TX to go pick it up (in about 2months).

The SP3 will be out in June--not sure what is new and improved on the 3.
Just a note: NO problems with charger and batts that came with kit so far.
Going to order protected when i can--but all good so far with kit units.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread