Status
Not open for further replies.

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
Being a 2 week owner of an Odysseus V2 I was thinking I might have been doing something wrong in my wick/coil builds. Tired cotton, was okay.... noticed my coils were getting real gunky in a few hours and would clean them and went to silica. Tried various types of silica, reg silica, ceramic, nextel etc. Came up with a good combo. Nextel was to thick so came up with a good combo. 3mm rope with the short nextel on top. Nice thickness to wrap coils, stiff and easy.

I was still getting dirty coils sometimes after a few hours, no problem. Take out the rebuildable part soak in hot water, dry burn and up and running again. I was thinking it was my wrap method, maybe the ends where the wires were twisted. I thought this because I noticed that the silica would come apart where the joined wicks were singed . Got great advise from Captain Steve to make sure the twists were nice and tightly twisted, much better , no more singed wick. I still had to clean the juice gunk at least twice a day.

I know my favorite tobaccos are known carto killers and when I used the VNovas had to clean alot. So for the heck of it set up an new wick and coil, carefully made sure all was as perfect as I could. This time filled with my DIY juice, simple 50/50 PG/VG with a drop of organic orange and a tiny drop of clove and the Ody has been going now on same wick and coil cleanly for a day and a half. I guess my NET tobaccos are real dirty and build up a lot residue. I love my favourite TPR tobaccos, would give them up for anything.

I make my build at about 2.7 ohms, set my wattage at 8, puts out at 4.5 volts. Odd thing, when I use a boge 2.0 (actual ohms about 2.2-2.4) I get a reading of 4.25 volts with the Ody it reads 4.5. WHat would be the reason for the difference in volt output? Is there any advise or tips on making the cleaning less often with my TPR tobaccos? WHen I use my Heathers HV juice I get a longer clean vape and also with my Ahlusion tobaccos ( devil dog and bluegrass burley) but the Ahlusion tobaccos get too strong in the Ody so I keep them in carto tanks.

Any tips or advise would be great. Im not giving up my Plume Room tobaccos. At least in the Ody I get a few hours of delicious tobacco enjoyment which is better than when I put them in a boge, which get ruined in a couple hours.

BTW I use 32 gauge kanthal and 999. sterling silver for the non-resistance wire. Tried 28 gauge kanthal, too thick and could not get enough wraps to get a higher reading than 1.1 or 1.4 ohms.

Last edited:

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
Thanks Serpent67 ( nice viper? or boa, on your avatar) I just ordered some 400 Mesh from ebay, figured a 6x6 piece would do fine for a while. I assume when I get it in, Id cut a small piece for the width of the inside of the cup? or can it extend a bit, maybe to where the resistance and non-resistance are joined? Than I would wrap like usual. If I decide to use cotton, can I than do a dry burn without burning the cotton? That would be cool. Thanks so much.

Serpent67

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 28, 2011
Smoky Mountains
Yw, anavidfan . Yes, that would be perfect. Just make sure it is oxidized very well so there is no hotspots and ground outs. If you use cotton, just make sure it is wet with juice when doing your burns. Maybe wet it before you wrap your mesh so that the mesh is still dry or just damp for the no hotspot test.

That is a Gaboon Viper in my avatar, btw :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread