Not open for further replies.

Filthy-Beast

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2011
Chicago
What size silica?

I've found 1mm fits perfectly in microcoils made around a 1/16 drill bit (~1.6mm). It's not as easy to thread as cotton imo, but when you get it in, it's the perfect amount of wick.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 4
Same here. I heat it white hot with a torch and a little juice on the end makes easier to thread in 1/16" ID coil.

TastyKakes

ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2013
Philadelphia
Sorry bro, I've never even tried silica :). The closest I came was Nextel but I quickly rebounded to the cotton :)

Robs video makes silica look easy though :)

No-go on the Nextel xc-116? I've been looking forward to getting my hands on some to try out. Does it just not hold a lot of juice or...? You've got my curiosity piqued.

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
^ I found several niggles with it:

First, I'm a "build a coil then make / insert wick to match the coil inside diameter" kinda guy. I had no luck doing that with the skinny Nextel.

Second, I found it to produce a wetter feeling vape than I was accustomed to.

Lastly, I just couldn't get psychologically comfortable with vaping it cause its made with some nasty stuff applied to it during fabrication. I know it's supposedly "kiln treated'" but who knows if it's done properly.

That said and as awesome and readily available (not to mention how inexpensive) as cotton is, I begged her forgiveness and crawled back to her. I'm not the least bit disappointed and have not even a curiosity to do anything to my setup except screw around with wire gauges :)

Glad you asked :)

TastyKakes

ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2013
Philadelphia
^ I found several niggles with it:
Glad you asked :)

"Wetter" vape, huh? I've heard saturated and dense, but wetter just doesn't sound that appealing.
I guess my main curiosity is in how much juice it can hold when fully saturated. I'd believe it was treated properly if purchases from a reputable dealer, but I guess I'm just the "trusting" type.
I've always been interested in its wicking ability to utilize in tank situations, but guess that doesn't really matter much when dripping since everything's already right there.
I'm with you though: I love cotton in every application I've tried so far. Ideally, I would like all the benefits of cotton in a medium that doesn't burn so easily.

Matthee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2013
Koringberg, South Africa
Josh - I unravel two threads from my 3mm silica and using Kanthal wire pull it doubled through the micro coil like in the pictures below. I believe each thread is 0.5mm, so end up with a 2mm wick.
qd5keQB.jpg

I1owUS6.jpg

6IcpsKe.jpg

wkmJfgA.jpg

custom-classic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 18, 2013
USA
Great tutorial Matthee!!!
I've tried this a few times and I keep going back to organic cotton. With the darker tobacco juices, I find myself changing my cotton at least three times a day. With silica I don't have to change it nearly as often but the vapor and flavor are just not the same. I'm thinking of trying the hemp silver in the near future.

Jazzi Mike

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2013
Michigan
Personally, I don't like cotton. What I do to build my Reomizer is wrap a coil around 1.5mm Ekowool with very little space in between wraps. I then push them close together until they are touching. If some won't get right into place, I torch the coil and move the wraps with a screwdriver. So I get the effect of a microcoil with Ekowool. Heh, it's a macro coil!

I can't get down with trying to thread a wick through a micro coil. It is probably something I could work on, but I am very very happy with this method.

jwat82

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 6, 2013
The Land of Lincoln
Personally, I don't like cotton. What I do to build my Reomizer is wrap a coil around 1.5mm Ekowool with very little space in between wraps. I then push them close together until they are touching. If some won't get right into place, I torch the coil and move the wraps with a screwdriver. So I get the effect of a microcoil with Ekowool. Heh, it's a macro coil!

I can't get down with trying to thread a wick through a micro coil. It is probably something I could work on, but I am very very happy with this method.

When I first got my rm2 I tried this with some 3mm ekowool I had, talk about a macrocoil...

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 4

supertrunker

Living sarcasm
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2012
Texas
I use very fat 3mm+ silica and it's stiff enough to just wrap straight onto with kanthal wire.

If i use R41 wire then i have to blowtorch and wind that on a 1/8" drill bit and then screw the wick into it.
021113-1628.jpg

Here's a blurry pic of it from my phone. I found blowtorching the wick helped too by preventing the strands from coming apart. I don't have a spare RM2 to fit this into just now, but that coil will be about 1.8Ω.

My usual daily builds are dual coil 32g kanthal wrapped on the same wick at about 1Ω. i got lucky here!
coilcrop.jpg

T

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread