Status
Not open for further replies.

horton

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2010
Left Side of Florida
I picked up a roll of Youde Tech. twisted Kanthal 28 AWG. As I understand, it's two wires twisted together. (not to sound too goofy, but it really does make a neat looking pattern)

Went to use Steam Engine coil wrapping calculator to get an idea how many wraps I'd need and there was an entry for the "Twist Pitch" of the twisted wire. I really am at a loss as to how to either calculate or measure this. There are some instructions about counting ridges, measuring their total width, and divide by the speed of light (just kidding):confused:. There are some instructions, but I am unable to measure what is needed. What I'm trying to say is I have trouble seeing the ridges clearly with the magnifier I have so I'm not sure what to do. Is this a critical number for the calculator? Can I leave it at zero and go on my merry way? I don't want to blunder and mess up a coil, but I also don't need super extreme accuracy. I just want to get in the ballpark and then I'll do the final check on my Fluke.

I'd sure appreciate any help or advice..... TIA

horton

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2010
Left Side of Florida
If you have a multimeter, measure the resistance of an inch (several times and take an average). Then you'll have the ohms per inch and be able to plan from there.

Yep, I can do that. I'll give that a go. I was just reading the instructions for measuring the twist pitch and I'm getting the impression it's like the thread pitch of a screw sorta kinda. I don't have an accurate way of measuring so I'm not going to be able to do that. Need to get a decent caliper. Harbor Freight, here I come........

Thanks for the help.....

astronomicals

Feb 5, 2015
Steam engine tells you how to measure pitch.Count 10 ridges, measure their total width, and divide by 10. You could also count how many ridger their are in a centimeter and divide 10 by that number. I laid my wire over a ruler and put a magnifying glass over it then counted by dragging a needle across it so I wouldnt mess up my count.

Last edited:

horton

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2010
Left Side of Florida
Steam engine tells you how to measure pitch. measure the amount of twists over a centimeter (10mm) and divide by 10. I laid my wire over a ruler and put a magnifying glass over it then counted by dragging a needle across it so I wouldnt mess up my count.

Aha.... that's what they mean. I thought I needed calipers to measure a length, like a peak to peak kind of measure. I should be able to do what you are saying.
I read those instructions completely the wrong way. Thanks very much!!

astronomicals

Feb 5, 2015
My bad. I was wrong. "Count 10 ridges, measure their total width, and divide by 10". Mine had 10 ridges a cm so it didn't really matter.

You could count how many ridges there are in a centimeter then divide 10 by THAT number. I got it backwards. Flip the equation I first gave. (Note: I edited that first post)

Example

10 ridges in 5 mm= 0.5 mm pitch (5/10)
20 ridges in a centimeter=0.5mm pitch (10/20)

Last edited:

horton

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2010
Left Side of Florida
I think what had/has me mixed up is the word "width" -- in the phrase "measure their total width". I kept thinking had to measure how WIDE the wire was and thought counting ten "ridges" was simply coming up with an average "width". Had the word "length" been used, I may have had more of a chance -- I doubt it, but maybe.....lmao
So what I really want to do if possible is count ten ridges then measure the length those ten ridges take up and divide by ten to get the pitch? That's how I'm understanding it now.
Thanks for all the help -- I really appreciate it!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread