Two months in, my story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wakefulpanda

ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2011
Syracuse
Hey everyone at ECf,

I started about two+? years ago (well maybe three years, see my join date) with a njoy gas station starter kit. I had been a Camel Filter "In a BOX" smoker for about 14 years (soft packs are made for those who don't want the cigarette outline in their pocket BTW, so always ask for box if you don't give a crap what people think.) Life was getting pretty terrible for me. My doctor would say every appointment "You really need to quit smoking, not only is it affecting your health but I can smell it before I walk in the room" I was 27 at the time, I really needed to make some alterations to my lifestyle or I was literally going to die at a young age.

About a month later. I saw a friend at work was using an njoy ecig. I'm in the TV industry and I have seen commercial after commercial for these things but I always thought it was some kind of gimmick. She said, go to 711 and grab one and some cartridges it's amazing. So off I went on a sneak lunch break to grab one. I live in New York, the home of taxes and dumb laws. Cigarettes had risen to almost $12.00 a pack for Camel Filters. So I was desperately looking for a way out of this prison I was in, and this was it.

So this gas station E-Cig was good for a few weeks, but soon the withdrawals set in. At the time everything on the internet was so confusing in regards to E-Cigs. Numbers for different parts and all sorts of junk, I didn't know what any of it meant, and with my work I really didn't have the time or the patience to sit down and dedicate myself to something. After a few weeks I moved to SNUS, the E-cig was not cutting it at all for long term (how I got into SNUS is another story) but I really enjoyed it. I was buying it online and I was really happy with it.

Well, SNUS was awesome for about 6-8 months. Then the taxes rose. General SNUS went from $40 bucks a 10pk to around $80 and I felt lost, literally. How dare someone ostracize me for something I enjoy. I was angry, confused, and no-one would give me any sympathy. "Just quit" everyone would say. I would tell them "Everyone needs a vice, good or bad, a human needs and outlet, mine is nicotine." I had tried to give it up, but imagine a human alone in a cage, grasping for some sort of pleasure they can't seek elsewhere but in the confines of their own solitude, it's amazing how little a person can occupy themselves with when they are alone.

So again the train left the station onto the next cheapest outlet. Cigars. I smoked cigars for quite some time and was really not enjoying anything but the price. At the time I was 300LBS and smoking cigars, I was in shambles, I just couldn't sustain my lifestyle anymore.

One day I woke up (not sure how long ago this was) and decided I was unhappy with my life. That day I remember saying to myself I wasn't going to treat my body like crap anymore, I was going to do something about it. I was sick to death of inhaling black & milds and I was SICK TO FN DEATH of getting out of breath everywhere I went. So that day I went for a walk, fast forward I am 190 LBS. This isn't a weight loss forum so I won't tell you my extreme battle with changing my eating habits and my exercise. I was feeling great, but I was now smoking "Cigarillos" from a local tobacco shop, they cost 2.75 a pack for cherry or grape. I was smoking them like they were going out of style (When a gas station or tobacco shop knows what you want when you enter, you know it's time to take a break.) I had gotten a new job with PBS, and I was chewing NIC gum at work and smoking cigarillos in boxers shorts on my porch at home so my clothes wouldn't smell like crap. I was no different than any other kind of addict. I was ashamed of myself, even after losing 100+ pounds I couldn't beat the stigmata of the smell of smoke. It was shameful that I could control almost every aspect of my life but one.

Fast forward to NOV 2013, a youtube video of an E-cig, and I am now smoke, SNUS, cigar, cigarettes, NIC gum and every other kind of FDA, ..... approved NRT free. Holy god, was this a battle for me. People don't understand where we come from, or what we may have been through. Now I have my life, I have my "me" time. I now blow all my cash on E-Cig stuff and "I DONT GIVE A FUDGE." I love my life now, I love that I have "something." I come home from work and I enjoy relaxing, going to the gym, trying a new flavor or two. I enjoy it. Am I a bad person? No. Am I a person? Yes.

263bhoi.jpg

Last edited:

CreepyLady

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2013
Salem, MA, USA
Thank you so much for sharing your story! Grats on quitting :) Isnt it amazing how non-smokers or non-tobacco users think we can *just quit*. It's miles away from that simple - otherwise I would've done it years ago! It sure sounds like you have made many difficult life changes with fabulous outcomes in the end- the pay offs make the hard parts so worth it!!!

GoodLifeVapor and MVPs - you are a Panda after my own heart!

DetraMental

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2013
United States
What a great story! Hello and Welcome to ECF Wakefulpanda! Congratulations for finally kicking the cigs/cigars to the curb. I was a 33 year 2 pack/day smoker and my health was getting bad plus I was sick of cigarettes controlling my life. I couldn't have done anything about it without e-cigs (pvs, apvs). I couldn't believe how well they worked and I didn't even start out with a great kit but I've built quite a collection since then. Speaking of collections it looks like you have a nice one of your own. Love the MVP 2's! They are great devices. Hope to see you around the forum! Happy Vaping :vapor:

TheJakeBailey

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
Austin,TX, USA
That is a great story, and I thank you for sharing it. I've been asked more than once if I feel like I just traded in one addiction for another. Usually by people that I work with when I show up with a new toy, etc. My general answer is "who cares, this one won't kill me!" I'm happier as a vaper than I ever was as a smoker. I wish you the best on the rest of your journey, and welcome to ECF!

Wakefulpanda

ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2011
Syracuse
That is a great story, and I thank you for sharing it. I've been asked more than once if I feel like I just traded in one addiction for another. Usually by people that I work with when I show up with a new toy, etc. My general answer is "who cares, this one won't kill me!" I'm happier as a vaper than I ever was as a smoker. I wish you the best on the rest of your journey, and welcome to ECF!

Thanks so much! One addiction for another is a term people like to throw around who think their life is perfect. Listen, my life is far from perfect but while I'm on this spinning ball of rock I want to enjoy myself. If nicotine helps me to relax and enjoy my life just a little but more I'm going to use it. Having said that I would prefer to use it in a way that won't make me feel like absolute garbage in every other aspect of my life.

Some drink, some like to poke around their yard and pick up sticks, some like to go to strip clubs. To each their own. This is what I enjoy, I won't deny that picking up sticks and other activities may be healthier alternatives, but it's my life.

Last edited:

Lord_Fubar

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 22, 2013
Sanford, FL
I quit smoking and started vaping this last November too. For me it was 39 years smoking, 1 year of quitting (I always wanted a cigarette),back to smoking for another year. I quit smoking the day I got my 808 kit. I rarely think about analogs and when I do, a few vapes and all is forgotten.

I'm happy with eGo clones for now. I have been looking at mods and rather like the Vamo v5.

I'm happy you found the vaping trail too.

cheezwiz

Nov 29, 2009
Virginia
Great Story!

As for the "trading one for another" stuff I think everyone does that in many ways in life. Relationships, possessions, habits...when things change for whatever reason, we tend to focus our thoughts on the new circumstance & not think much about the old one. I've found that to be a very helpful aspect of the switch to vaping, including focusing on the new toys! So anybody who talks down to someone else about "switching one addition for another" maybe needs to be reminded that's just how human nature works ( and that being a sanctimonious stinker is uncool, but that's just my 2 cents!!)

HecticEnergy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
TX, USA
Cig a likes got me to quit a few years ago. It took me about 3 mos. I'd still puff on it from time to time to fight cravings, but I wouldn't say it was enjoyable...
I moved in with a smoker a few months ago and cigalike couldn't cut it anymore. Got my ego with a few evod clearos and have been LOVING IT! First mod should be here Monday! Been on ego for 6 months.

I think I'm at a place where I could quit if I wanted to, but I've always loved the act of smoking, so vaping really does it for me.

There are still things I miss about smoking camel hard pack (me too, only I thought it was so you could throw them in your pocket and worry less about having a pouch of loose tobacco at the end of the day). I also rolled drum for a while which I loved... Vaping isn't a direct replacement as many of us know, but it is a close second, and all the current studies seem to point to "it's MUCH better than smoking"

It's a fun journey, and I hope to help people onto and along the road!

I'm glad you're life seems to be looking up! Live wouldn't taste so sweet without its bitterness, and it sounds like you've had your share of bitterness!

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

bryman021

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 8, 2013
Bradford, PA, USA
Glad to hear you made the switch and are enjoying it! I was in a similar situation when I started vaping just over 3 months ago. My wife and I had tried several times to quit smoking. We tried gum, patches, and cold turkey. Nothing would stick, I always ended up with a cancer stick in my mouth and hating every drag I took. I just couldn't stop. I hated the smoke but loved the habit. I had been seeing commercials for Blu and finally one day broke down and bought a disposable one. Amazingly that's all it took, I fell in love with vaping immediately. I quickly ran to good ol' google and stated searching ecigs. Well here I am 3 months later haven't touched an analog since and vaping has become a huge passion and hobby for me!

Glad to have you here on ECF and thanks for sharing your story!

Vape on!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread