U.S. House Bill Would Exempt E-Cigarettes from Tobacco Regulations

Status
Not open for further replies.

VictorC

ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2015
Toronto, Ontario
"The bill, from Republican Representative Duncan Hunter of California, would reverse the Obama administration's "Deeming Rule" which deems e-cigarettes to be tobacco products, subject to the same strict regulations governing traditional cigarettes. E-cigarettes heat nicotine-laced liquid into vapor but do not contain tobacco."

U.S. House Bill Would Exempt E-Cigarettes from Tobacco Regulations

faeriekitsune

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 9, 2014
So. MD
Yes! Come on Hunter! Bring it home for us!

No, seriously though, this is exciting news. I'm surprised more people haven't posted. I was supporting the Bishop Cole bill, but I'd much rather this one pass. Flat out reversing the deeming is way better than just moving the date.

Can we get a CASAA call to action on this? We need one.

And everybody call your Congress critters! If support picks up quickly and maintains high levels, there's less chance this bill will fall into the void.

trying

ECF Veteran
Jun 11, 2010
usa
I would have preferred the focus be on getting Cole Bishop passed first before introducing a bill that has greater appeal to users of this forum. It would be good to have some type of safety net in the bank before reaching for more.
For any bill to pass will require support of non-tobacco/vapor representatives and I believe C/B has a better chance with this group.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
I would have preferred the focus be on getting Cole Bishop passed first before introducing a bill that has greater appeal to users of this forum. It would be good to have some type of safety net in the bank before reaching for more.
For any bill to pass will require support of non-tobacco/vapor representatives and I believe C/B has a better chance with this group.
It doesn't have to be one or the other. Technically I don't think Hunter's bill has been introduced yet.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
IMO, bit of a long shot ... lost taxes and revenue from vapers quitting smoking is still the priority.

People living longer and healthier ... not that important :smokie:
If someone made the argument, publicly, that the taxes were supposed to offset the cost of smoker's increased healthcare costs and smoking prevention, and since vaping leads to lower smoking rates(especially if vapers are no longer counted as tobacco users) it would be fun watching the politicians trying to justify the need for the taxes.

Verb

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2014
Eastern, PA, USA
If someone made the argument, publicly, that the taxes were supposed to offset the cost of smoker's increased healthcare costs and smoking prevention, and since vaping leads to lower smoking rates(especially if vapers are no longer counted as tobacco users) it would be fun watching the politicians trying to justify the need for the taxes.

That's easy. They have no shame. They'd simply reply, "pfffft, we stopped using it for that long ago."

Alcohol in PA is still taxed to pay for flood damage that occurred in 1889.

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
HR 2194 introduced by Rep. Duncan Hunter (R-CA) To protect the public health by providing the Food and Drug Administration with certain authority to regulate e-liquids and personal electronic vaporizers, to reduce the morbidity and mortality resulting from cigarette smoking through the responsible regulation of e-liquids and personal electronic vaporizers as a tobacco harm reduction strategy, and for other purposes. Referred to House Energy and Commerce Committee.
Text - H.R.2194 - 115th Congress (2017-2018): Cigarette Smoking Reduction and Electronic Vapor Alternatives Act of 2017

The bill would amend the 2009 Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act to:
- Exclude vapor products from being defined or regulated by FDA as tobacco products
- Authorize and require FDA to reasonably and responsibly regulate e-liquids and personal electronic vaporizers
- Require e-liquids to comply with AEMSA standards STANDARDS | AEMSA
- Require personal electronic vaporizers to comply with electronic and battery standards
- Require serial numbers on, and tracking of, all e-liquid and electronic vaporizers
- Require all e-liquid and electronic vapor product manufacturers to certify to FDA that their vapor products are in compliance with new FDA standards
- Authorize FDA to impose penalties and ban products not in compliance with standards
- Ban vaporizer and e-liquid sales to minors under 18
- Authorize FDA to ban the advertising and promotion of vapor products to minors
- Preempt states from enacting/enforcing laws with respect to the manufacture, warning requirements, marketing, distribution, or sale of vaporizers or e-liquid that is/are different from HR 2194
- Change name of FDA’s Center for Tobacco Products to FDA’s Center for Tobacco Products and Tobacco Harm Reduction, and require FDA to support harm reduction
- Require FDA to comprehensively assess and rank different types of tobacco and nicotine products based upon their comparative disease risks, and to recommend harm reduction strategies to Congress.

Here are some articles.

Mike Siegel A major embarrassment for the FDA: Congressman to introduce e-cigarette regulatory bill tomorrow
The Rest of the Story: Tobacco News Analysis and Commentary: A Major Embarrassment for the FDA: Congressman to Introduce E-Cigarette Regulatory Bill Tomorrow

Bradley Fikes: E-cigarette restrictions to be eased under bill by San Diego’s ‘Vaping Congressman’
E-cigarette restrictions to be eased under bill by San Diego's 'Vaping Congressman'

Mike Siegel: Don’t let alternative facts deter Congress from fixing e-cigarette regulations

Don't let alternative facts deter Congress from fixing e-cigarette regulations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread