Not open for further replies.

jhelliwell

Fog master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2013
Sheffielld, UK
Hi all,

I've just to the conclusion that I'm completely useless at rebuilding my new AGI in genesis mode. It's wierd, the first 2 builds I did were perfect, but recently I just produce bad coils with all sorts of problems.

I'm using 400 mesh, and 32ga kathal. The first two builds I did, I oxidised the living hell out of the mesh, soaked it in e-liquid and burnt off the excess with a lighter, hand wrapped a 3/4 coil directly onto the wick coming out at 1.9ohms (I stablised the wick with a straightened out paper clip) and got an even glow on the coil fairly quickly. Those were good builds.

Now I oxidise the wick less. I tried the petar-k method last night with a 2mm drill bit, eased in the wick and ended up on the test fire with a very hot top leg, and a bit of the top wrap glowing and nothing else. Whatever I did to that coil, moving it around, tightening, loosening, I never fixed the problem. I reduced the leg by moving the wick close up to the positive post. No good. I tried having tight contact with the mesh, no good. I tried having marginal contact with the mesh, no good. I tried having minimal contact with the mesh, no good. I tried again with an unoxidised wick, same problem. My third try with an oxidised wick, directly wrapping the coil onto the wick, same problem. After two hours of screwing around I was too frustrated to continue and filled a protank up so I could at least vape.

Phil Busardo and the Glaswegian guy Scott seem to be able to do it in their sleep. I've watched youtube video after video on rebulding genesis style atty's. What the hell am I doing wrong? I oxidise the wick less in the hope that I'm not going to produce a chromium residue, but I'm going to go back to oxidising the hell out of the mesh again.

This is very frustrating. My love for the protank is dwindling fast, because the difference in flavour and saturation on the AGI is night and day. I eventually want to move up to something like a kayfun, but I know I need to master this AGI before moving on.

jhelliwell

Fog master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2013
Sheffielld, UK
Thanks for the reply. The AGI is probably a big jump for a relative newbie. Anyway I tackled it again the day after and managed a perfectly evenly glowing coil in ten minutes flat. The quality of the vape is out of this world for flavour, saturation and vapour production. I just need to be able to do it consistently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jhelliwell

Fog master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2013
Sheffielld, UK
Just a spaced coil. I get around 1.8 ohms with a 3 wrap, and 2.1/2.2 with a 4. I have a regulated mod and don't want to go too low. My current coil turned out at 2.2 ohms, but went up to 2.3 today and is performing amazingly well. This thing is a top atomiser it really is, but it looks like a KFL is on the cards soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nikkita6

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 7, 2011
New York
Hi all,

I've just to the conclusion that I'm completely useless at rebuilding my new AGI in genesis mode. It's wierd, the first 2 builds I did were perfect, but recently I just produce bad coils with all sorts of problems.

I'm using 400 mesh, and 32ga kathal. The first two builds I did, I oxidised the living hell out of the mesh, soaked it in e-liquid and burnt off the excess with a lighter, hand wrapped a 3/4 coil directly onto the wick coming out at 1.9ohms (I stablised the wick with a straightened out paper clip) and got an even glow on the coil fairly quickly. Those were good builds.

Now I oxidise the wick less. I tried the petar-k method last night with a 2mm drill bit, eased in the wick and ended up on the test fire with a very hot top leg, and a bit of the top wrap glowing and nothing else. Whatever I did to that coil, moving it around, tightening, loosening, I never fixed the problem. I reduced the leg by moving the wick close up to the positive post. No good. I tried having tight contact with the mesh, no good. I tried having marginal contact with the mesh, no good. I tried having minimal contact with the mesh, no good. I tried again with an unoxidised wick, same problem. My third try with an oxidised wick, directly wrapping the coil onto the wick, same problem. After two hours of screwing around I was too frustrated to continue and filled a protank up so I could at least vape.

Phil Busardo and the Glaswegian guy Scott seem to be able to do it in their sleep. I've watched youtube video after video on rebulding genesis style atty's. What the hell am I doing wrong? I oxidise the wick less in the hope that I'm not going to produce a chromium residue, but I'm going to go back to oxidising the hell out of the mesh again.

This is very frustrating. My love for the protank is dwindling fast, because the difference in flavour and saturation on the AGI is night and day. I eventually want to move up to something like a kayfun, but I know I need to master this AGI before moving on.

If it ain't broke, then why fix it? It sounds like your problems began when you decided to try another method, which I don't understand if what you were doing at first was working for ya.

I recently did my first build ss mesh on my AGI (was using cotton previously), and this is the smoothest, quietest, tastiest vape I have ever had, and I have been vaping for sometime now. This post affirms for me that when it is time to rebuild, I am not changing anything that I did the first (although I expect to be less nervous) ... and not that I still can't encounter an issue, but I think trying something new will increase those odds and probabilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread