Uh oh! Now vaping causes excess drinking.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

guambred

ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2014
Guam, USA
http://medicalxpress.com/news/2015-10-e-cigarettes-problematic.html New study links unhealthy drinking linked to vaping. I'm worried now, I haven't had a drink in almost three years, and have been vaping for almost two, am I to become a raging alcoholic again? I'm so worried.....My God will vaping be linked to the Fukushima disaster next week? I bet World War III will start because of those evilbad evaper machine doohickey thingies.....

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
http://medicalxpress.com/news/2015-10-e-cigarettes-problematic.html New study links unhealthy drinking linked to vaping. I'm worried now, I haven't had a drink in almost three years, and have been vaping for almost two, am I to become a raging alcoholic again? I'm so worried.....My God will vaping be linked to the Fukushima disaster next week? I bet World War III will start because of those evilbad evaper machine doohickey thingies.....

ROFL... I'd say it's highly doubtful. I've been vaping for over a year and a half, and back in August, celebrated 23 yrs sobriety. It's true that I still miss the taste of beer, a lot more than I miss cigarettes, but all that other crap that comes along with drinking... nah, don't miss any of that even slightly. :thumb:

Andria

Jim_ MDP

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2015
Socializing encourages drinking. Solitude encourages drinking. Life encourages drinking. :p

But it's not for everyone.

Looking at a correlated usage in order to demonize vaping is... dodgy. Especially with the gender bias thrown in, but everything gets studied eventually. Big yawn.

Though those Indy/Purdue researchers should already be intimately familiar with the axiom... "correlation does not equal causation". Data first... then impartial conclusions. Not the other way around.

Addiction triggers abound. Being in a bar sounds like one of them. Still yawning. :rolleyes:

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
Socializing encourages drinking. Solitude encourages drinking. Life encourages drinking. :p

But it's not for everyone.

Looking at a correlated usage in order to demonize vaping is... dodgy. Especially with the gender bias thrown in, but everything gets studied eventually. Big yawn.

Though those Indy/Purdue researchers should already be intimately familiar with the axiom... "correlation does not equal causation". Data first... then impartial conclusions. Not the other way around.

Addiction triggers abound. Being in a bar sounds like one of them. Still yawning. :rolleyes:

Good points.

Actually I think it might be *slightly* true that drinking alcohol could make a vaper succumb to a craving for a "real one" that they might have no trouble resisting when their judgment isn't compromised. I've noticed that a lot of folks' relapses seem to have started with alcohol in the mix, particularly with an excess of alcohol. (which I used to think was an oxymoron!)

Andria

Jim_ MDP

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2015
Actually I think it might be *slightly* true that drinking alcohol could make a vaper succumb to a craving for a "real one" that they might have no trouble resisting when their judgment isn't compromised.

That's true as well, though the focus of the study in question is from the opposite perspective... does vaping discourage a reduction in "problematic drinking" compared to the acknowledged reduction after quitting cigs and not vaping.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
That's true as well, though the focus of the study in question is from the opposite perspective... does vaping discourage a reduction in "problematic drinking" compared to the acknowledged reduction after quitting cigs and not vaping.

Actually I think it might, just because of that tendency to backslide on smoking if one is judgment-impaired; most who have finally gotten smoke-free don't wish to do anything that might lead them back to smoking, and I've noted a few posts along those lines.

Obviously, someone who's truly an alcoholic (and not in recovery) will drink regardless of anything else; I used to find it very difficult to abstain even while taking antibiotics. To that sort of drinker, everything else is of secondary importance to that drink.

Andria

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
I honestly thought the thread was going to be about drinking too much water due to vaping.

That it is about drinking too much alcohol is in category of "laughable things that ANTZ come up with" and/or category of "seriously, we are grasping at straws now."

As another rare alcohol drinker, I would say the information is as true as saying vaping causes one to play excessive amounts of Freecell. If you don't play Freecell, then obviously you're not vaping in the right fashion. And if you do play Freecell, then you know what I'm saying is true, the two go very well together.

Reactions: AndriaD

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
I honestly thought the thread was going to be about drinking too much water due to vaping.

That it is about drinking too much alcohol is in category of "laughable things that ANTZ come up with" and/or category of "seriously, we are grasping at straws now."

As another rare alcohol drinker, I would say the information is as true as saying vaping causes one to play excessive amounts of Freecell. If you don't play Freecell, then obviously you're not vaping in the right fashion. And if you do play Freecell, then you know what I'm saying is true, the two go very well together.

I agree that the immoderate amounts of water some vapers consume is more likely to be of concern -- you can literally die of "water intoxication", and I'd be willing the bet the next person to do that will probably be a vaper, and the death will (naturally) be attributed to vaping. :facepalm:

Andria

Reactions: Jman8

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA

Jim_ MDP

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2015
Aw. geesypeesy! I play Freecell all the time and have a cup of wine at dinner time.....sometimes two which means I'm "done" for the night! Man-n-n-n! My world is going to hell in a handbasket! :(

Don't panic. You're not alone. There is help out there, believe it.

Now... who's the Freecell version of Bill W.?

:p

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
    A Dean Martin quote - "I don't drink anymore, I don't drink any less either."

Another that a buddy of mine likes to repeat goes something like this - "The whiskey in this flask is good for snakebites. It's a good thing I always carry this snake around too." I believe he has mentioned who's quote that is, but I can't think of the guys name.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread