Status
Not open for further replies.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Many countries are locking down till May now, situation's getting more intense.

Funny thing is that I'm 99% sure - when the vaccine will be out, people will not care much about it (well, maybe for the 2021 season only) and then 2-5% of population will be vaccinated yearly max, same as with a Flu vaccine.

Is the UK rate for flu vaccination really that low? In the US for last year’s figures ~60% under the age of 17 were vaccinated and about ~45% of the adult population. I’d be amazed if the flu vaccine was so little administered in the UK. I would think NHS would be all over that, but maybe I’m wrong. My only experience is in the US.

My bet is after seeing the damage done over the next several months, not a ton of people will be able to look at a corona vaccine and say “eh, what me worry?” when it finally may be available in a year, if we’re that lucky to get it out the door by then.

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
Is the UK rate for flu vaccination really that low? In the US for last year’s figures ~60% under the age of 17 were vaccinated and about ~45% of the adult population. I’d be amazed if the flu vaccine was so little administered in the UK. I would think NHS would be all over that, but maybe I’m wrong. My only experience is in the US.

My bet is after seeing the damage done over the next several months, not a ton of people will be able to look at a corona vaccine and say “eh, what me worry?” when it finally may be available in a year, if we’re that lucky to get it out the door by then.
I've been watching the news on and off all day. It sounds like they're making very positive progress rapidly. That's encouraging and hopefully this will be completely under control by next season.

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
I have an S10 respirator I brought about 15 years ago in case of a zombie apocalypse. I'm trying to decide if I wear it to the local shop to get milk.

Upside - A legitimate chance to freak everyone out.
Downside - I have only one fresh filter.

PKaT9E4.jpg

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I have an S10 respirator I brought about 15 years ago in case of a zombie apocalypse. I'm trying to decide if I wear it to the local shop to get milk.

PKaT9E4.jpg

With only one available filter I’d save it as a really no choice but I have to have protection item. Given filters for that are not being snapped up like surgical masks, or the better N95 respirators, it’s well worth looking if you can order more. Granted, it may draw attention and make you feel a little bit like you’re in a Fallout game, but when it comes to your health, do you really care what other people think?

If you want to complete the look with a homemade bunny suit, you only need some duck tape, a vinyl poncho, and some rubber boots. Tape the sleeves down, and put your gloves on over that. Maybe a little tape on the hood to keep it in place. The rubber boots are good because just like the poncho, you can safely spray them down with a 1:5 solution of bleach with a spray bottle. You can also use the duck tape as a low riding belt to keep it in place.

The only area then exposed are your pants from the bottom of the poncho to the boots. Just have some on hand that are machine washable and wash them with hot water in the washing machine then dryer and you’re good to go.

It might not be pretty, and get you weird looks, but you’re protected. They’re not.

Still, it may be overkill for a quick walk just to get some air with no one around. But prepared with inexpensive options is always a good bet.

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca

PKaT9E4.jpg
Everytime I see a full face respirator it reminds of this idiot I saw. I was working at a shipyard and the welders were working on some pipes and had to wear full face respirators as well as anyone else in the area. This idiot that was a fire watch guy had a hole drilled in the front of the mask where the expirator valve was suppose to be so he could smoke while he was doing fire watch. At the time I kind of felt like a rat but I turned him in to the safety officer. Other than a stern lecture he didn't get into trouble. People like that are prime candidates for the Darwin Awards.

dreamvaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Nov 20, 2018
    UK
    In the US for last year’s figures ~60% under the age of 17 were vaccinated and about ~45% of the adult population

and I'm surprised on the US numbers now.
    Why does the Flu kill around 40K US citizens yearly then?
    As for the UK, 732 flu related deaths were confirmed in 19. Can't find actual numbers for vaccines made tho.

I'm trying to decide if I wear it to the local shop to get milk

Call local news first

Reactions: Eskie

Eskie

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 6, 2016
    NY
    and I'm surprised on the US numbers now.
    Why does the Flu kill around 40K US citizens yearly then?
    As for the UK, 732 flu related deaths were confirmed in 19. Can't find actual numbers for vaccines made tho.

Call local news first

Even with vaccination of 45% of the population, there are still at least 17 million cases of flu that are documented with doctors for people coming in, and there are likely 10 million more that never go to the doctor to be checked. That's why the mortality rate in the US for influenza is about 0.1%. But when you have a population of 300 some odd people, that 0.1% does add up.

It's a breathing filter that blocks out way smaller particles than say a surgical mask. You can find them in hardware stores for working in a very dusty environment. It's sort of a cardboard textured solid mask with a valve built into it to allow air in and out. Granted, the hardware store ones are not "medically approved", even though they're essentially identical with the same valves. With so many sick now, nobody is being picky about where they can find them and whether ;labelled for medical or construction.

Mordacai

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 16, 2019
    UK
    Update for folks, these places seem to be doing online business.

Ziggicig, Vaping 101 and Evolution Vaping.

And I was just thinking about how much more uncomfortable that would make folks feel @sonicbomb, especially when you go near the coffee that has absorbed how much solar radiation when it has been growing.

At least people would give you a comfortable distance and a large one at that.

• Useful
    Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    Full face respirator masks totally suck. To be fair, I find the um, paper ones that are disposable rather annoying.

ALSO I forgot my damn HAIR, they give us (staff) ONE paper respirator mask per day and like it lives inside a paper bag in a drawer. I would consider this the WORST use of a mask ever, it is going to collect germs over the course of a day, HONESTLY. It's probably worse than no mask at all other than I don't touch my face.

But yeah I have chin length bangs, man, they are SO ANNOYING to deal with. First I Tried Paperclips (First upon realizing it.) I don't recommend this method.. Then I tried a head band with like actual hair clips. My hair STILL looked like wild pigs had tromped through it full force, by the end of the day.

I'mma gonna go full on Sufi hairpieces for chicks, I have a bunch. From being a dilettante. But I totally give up. I hope no one actually identifies me as a Muslim but I bought unconventional ones.... because I did not want to self identify as one since I am technically NOT one.

My biggest worry is wearing one will cause getting triggered into like, well more religious and less spiritual .I was shocked the UK did this and it wouldn't shock me it is JUST because the UK does everything the US does, like fairly a lot. I get we won the war (twice) but REALLY UK you don't HAVE TO, life is not a game of Simon Says (well sometimes I think it is.)

Anna

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread