[UK] MLX-364 postponed. MHRA again failing to run the proverbial in a brewery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick O'Teen

ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2009
Swansea, Wales
www.decadentvapours.com
got an email today, informing me that the whole MLX-364 process has been delayed because of the UK general election. Apparently such a consultation process cannot proceed during a general election, because it is an activity governed by the Cabinet Office Election Guidelines.

So they would have us believe that this election is an unforeseen obstacle?

Hmm, that's funny - a quick google tells me that the latest possible date for the prorogation of Parliament (the announcing of a general election, and the automatic implementation of these long-established Cabinet Office guidelines,) would have been May 10th - also within the period of this process.
So this delay has been predictable not only since the MHRA consultation exercise MLX-364 began back in February of this year. No - it's been constitutionally inevitable for nearly 5 years now! Since May 10th 2005 in fact. Any such process that began before a subsequent election and was scheduled to have overrun that date would have had to be automatically suspended for the duration of the election as a matter of course. But of course, no, they weren't expecting any delays.

And with less than a week's notice, the NCP stakeholder meeting scheduled for 22nd April has been cancelled, to be rescheduled at some as yet unspecified date sometime after the election, and the consultation exercise itself extended to June 2nd. And everyone who's made plans to attend, booked the time out, and paid for hotels, flights, rail tickets, all the other associated costs and activity, are left inconvenienced and out of pocket.

I can't make up my mind whether it's a ruse to just be a complete PITA to those attending the meeting (purely for the sake of it because they're a bunch of wombats, or maybe in the hope of reducing the number of attendees? The cynic in me says I wouldn't put it past them!) or simply blatant dumbness. Either way, it strikes me as utterly typical of these wretched people.

And so the saga drags on :mad:

Unperson

ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
New England, U.S.A.
Umm.. ..if things are on hold for you across the pond, can we send Spiny back? He's wreaking havoc for us over here.

8923662_67b36f8c8e.jpg

Sorry. All joking aside. I feel your pain when it comes to experiencing governmental clockbocking.

Nick O'Teen

ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2009
Swansea, Wales
www.decadentvapours.com
More feedback and complaints about this decision at
Ashtray Blog: An Electronic Cigarette Blog Blog Archive One week to go – and the MHRA cancel!
Looks like some folks are going to be out of pocket to the tune of 1000s of pounds over this! Wonder if the MHRA could be sued for damages? (probably not :()

So, is it nothing but incompetence on the part of lazy and ignorant civil servants who don't know their own codes of conduct, election guidelines, or anything about the subject they pretend to regulate 'for the public good'?
Or a brazenly undemocratic attempt to further weaken an already woefully inadequate "consultation exercise", and do Big Pharmacco's dirty work for them?

You'll have to make your own mind up.

PlanetScribbles

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2009
Londinium, Brittania
A vote for the current regime will initiate a further five years of undemocratic behaviour and an even more intrusive government. May 6 is the day we get to tell them what we think of authoritarian rule.
New Labour like playing this game of taking small steps to fulfil a bigger end result. Plus, as we all know, the people never get a say. That will change soon, hopefully.
I'm sick of quangos, agencies and local councils governing our every move.

Unperson

ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
New England, U.S.A.
Wish I thought any of the alternatives would be any better :(

We are truly ruled by a self-selected, kleptocratic elite whose only interest in "the people" is how much money they can screw out of us :(

Quote:

The major problem — one of the major problems, for there are several — one of the many major problems with governing people is that of whom you get to do it; or rather of who manages to get people to let them do it to them.

To summarize: it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it. To summarize the summary: anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job. To summarize the summary of the summary: people are a problem.

~ Douglas Adams (We miss you).

PlanetScribbles

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2009
Londinium, Brittania
You can bet your bottom dollar that the first thing they will do it bang the ID card scheme through parliament. Then they will sell off the post office network. Taxes will proceed to go through the roof.
Sometimes, something different is better than the same old predictable thing. I agree that none are perfect, but there are different levels of 'bad'. New Labour are mind numbingly BAD. Plus GB has the charisma of a puffer fish, and Peter Mandelson (GB's 'right hand man') is the slimiest, most deceitful SOB you would ever want to be running your life.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread