Not open for further replies.

erich

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 31, 2011
Atlanta, GA
RTDVAPOR.com

Not sure if you mean you're having trouble with the ultrafire batteries or chargers.

For batteries, for just a little more, the AW batteries are great. Only the high drain batteries are truly consistent with the relatively low resistance PVs put them through.

I haven't had any trouble with 2 different ones of the Ultrafire WF-188 chargers, which I use for CR123A batteries for 6v. The WF-139 is the similar for 3.7v batteries like the 18650. It's built a little cheaply, but has worked fine for me. I've heard nothing but great reviews about the Pila charger, but it's pricier too.

stephen1979

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2011
Milwaukee, WI
RTDVAPOR.com

Not sure if you mean you're having trouble with the ultrafire batteries or chargers.

For batteries, for just a little more, the AW batteries are great. Only the high drain batteries are truly consistent with the relatively low resistance PVs put them through.

I haven't had any trouble with 2 different ones of the Ultrafire WF-188 chargers, which I use for CR123A batteries for 6v. The WF-139 is the similar for 3.7v batteries like the 18650. It's built a little cheaply, but has worked fine for me. I've heard nothing but great reviews about the Pila charger, but it's pricier too.

I splurged on the Pila charger and can attest to its greatness. It takes a little more than an hour and a half it seems to charge an AW IMR 18650 battery.

Kenzi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 13, 2011
Upstate NY
The charger made a noise and died so I purchased another one and tonight it died ( this is on like 2 months) the batteries take HOURS to charge and then they are only lasting like 3 hours . So I don't know if it's Just the chargers or if the batteries are also not "right" . Either way , I think I will splurge and buy the Pila cause this is really frustrating and it's just good money after bad at this point.

erich

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 31, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I've never used them, so I'll defer to others. They're generally the cheapest option, though, so take from that what you will.

In general, if you just want batteries that you'll never have to worry about, the AW IMR are the way to go. They output more sustained current. Since I = V/R, assuming V (voltage) = 3.7, and R (resistance of atty) = 3Ω, then I = 1.23 amps with standard resistance. Given that a fully charged battery is more like 4.2v and a 2.0Ω atty, this goes up to 2.1 amps. High-drain batteries can output 2, 4, or even 10 amps, where "standard" li-ion batteries can't do more than ~1amp. If the battery can't handle the current draw, the voltage must drop, and most would agree that this produces weaker vapor.

Additionally, AW IMR (Lithium manganese oxide) and LiFePO4 (IFR, or lithium iron phosphate) are "safe chemistry". Most other batteries (including most li-ion that don't actually say what chemistry they are) are ICR (lithium cobalt oxide). ICR, when shorted (e.g. taping a paper clip from + to -), will vent gas hot enough to burn, where IMR and IFR should not. Thus, you'll see ICR batteries that are "protected", which means they have a chip built in that prevents a short. I would never use an unprotected ICR battery in a PV. Chances are, nothing bad will ever happen, but if it does, a PV is in your pocket or by your face, not in e.g. a remote-controlled car across a parking lot.

In addition to the current limit, some of the lower-resistance atomizers/cartomizers are "close enough" to a short that the protection will kick in during normal use. This is what originally drove me away from Ultrafire batteries in favor of the AW. I was using a pair of the Ultrafire Protected 16340/RCR123A 3.0 V Li-Ion to run at 6v, and they would cut out with atties as high as 2.8Ω.

Here are some good posts by some more expert than me:
Lithium Ion Categories
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/reos-mods/217644-battery-life-2.html#post3980476
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo.../105037-high-drain-batteries.html#post1580259

Kenzi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 13, 2011
Upstate NY
I've never used them, so I'll defer to others. They're generally the cheapest option, though, so take from that what you will.

In general, if you just want batteries that you'll never have to worry about, the AW IMR are the way to go. They output more sustained current. Since I = V/R, assuming V (voltage) = 3.7, and R (resistance of atty) = 3Ω, then I = 1.23 amps with standard resistance. Given that a fully charged battery is more like 4.2v and a 2.0Ω atty, this goes up to 2.1 amps. High-drain batteries can output 2, 4, or even 10 amps, where "standard" li-ion batteries can't do more than ~1amp. If the battery can't handle the current draw, the voltage must drop, and most would agree that this produces weaker vapor.

Additionally, AW IMR (Lithium manganese oxide) and LiFePO4 (IFR, or lithium iron phosphate) are "safe chemistry". Most other batteries (including most li-ion that don't actually say what chemistry they are) are ICR (lithium cobalt oxide). ICR, when shorted (e.g. taping a paper clip from + to -), will vent gas hot enough to burn, where IMR and IFR should not. Thus, you'll see ICR batteries that are "protected", which means they have a chip built in that prevents a short. I would never use an unprotected ICR battery in a PV. Chances are, nothing bad will ever happen, but if it does, a PV is in your pocket or by your face, not in e.g. a remote-controlled car across a parking lot.

In addition to the current limit, some of the lower-resistance atomizers/cartomizers are "close enough" to a short that the protection will kick in during normal use. This is what originally drove me away from Ultrafire batteries in favor of the AW. I was using a pair of the Ultrafire Protected 16340/RCR123A 3.0 V Li-Ion to run at 6v, and they would cut out with atties as high as 2.8Ω.

Here are some good posts by some more expert than me:
Lithium Ion Categories
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/reos-mods/217644-battery-life-2.html#post3980476
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo.../105037-high-drain-batteries.html#post1580259

First the good news - I ordered a Pila charger . It should be here in a couple days.

Now the sad news - I don't know if my batteries have issues or if it was just the chargers (2 in less then 2 months) ?? So I have 3 ultra fire batteries ( xsl18650 2600mAh 3.7V batteries). Now although I read your reply a couple of times , I just do not understand batteries :blush: . I do understand protected or not protected . What I don't understand is if I want to ordered different protected batts and I find say 18650's that are different "mAh's" does that matter ? Does it have to match these current UltraFire's exactly ( probably really stupid , but I don't know and am having a real problem finding Exact match that isn't "UltraFire" brand)
I REALLY , REALLY appreciate ALL the help !! You are al the BEST !!!!

Bozzlite

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2010
Central Texas
Kenzi,

Another recommendation here for the AW batteries. The mah's may very slightly from one brand to another, but that shouldn't matter. The Pila is an excellent charger and can handle the different mah's. Your PV won't know the difference either.

Now, for the batteries. Look here: Electronic Cigarettes and AW batteries by Super T

They are an ECF forum listed supplier and have some of the best pricing on AW batteries, especially when you consider the shipping, which is, I think only $1.35 for up to $36.00 of merchandise.

Look for the AW IMR or AW protected batteries. Either one should work just fine for you.

Last edited:
Kenzi,

I have an Omega and use Trustfire flames for my pv. Link: TrustFire Protected 18650 Battery, 2400 mah

Not a bad price for them in the U.S. - can get them from Dealextreme for 9.95 2-pack, free shipping but takes 3-4 weeks to arrive. All I use are Trustfire flames and have been vaping for over a year, have 6 of them, and they are still going strong.

conan

ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2011
USA
What I don't understand is if I want to ordered different protected batts and I find say 18650's that are different "mAh's" does that matter ? Does it have to match these current UltraFire's exactly ( probably really stupid , but I don't know and am having a real problem finding Exact match that isn't "UltraFire" brand)

MAH's are mili amp hours, or run time. No they do not have to match. In theory a 3000mah battery will last longer than a 2200mah battery.

Like others, I like the Aw high drain bateries and the pila charger.

Drozd

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2009
NW Ohio
personally I would stay away from any *fire batteries...
the AW 2600mAh is excellent (if your mod can use a flat top battery..if not the largest mAh is 2200mAh)
or the redilast 3100mAh (redilast.com)

in the 18650 size the IMR high drain is just overkill and unneeded...
really in that size the more mAh the better (will last longer before needing charged)

erich

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 31, 2011
Atlanta, GA
mAh is milliampere-hour. In general, more is better, and the higher this number, the longer you'll go between charges. 1000 mAh should be able to deliver 1 amp for 1 hour, where 500 mAh would do 1 amp for 1/2hr. You don't need to match it exactly with the UltraFires. The SB is a great example of "not picky"... there are no electronics; it simply connects whatever battery is inside to whatever atty is outside. :)

For my SB, I use either:
AW IMR 18650 3.7v
or a pair of
AW LiFePO4 RCR 123 for "6v"

EDIT: Occurs to me now that I missed the second page before posting this. Plenty of other links above. Drozd's posts were among those most helpful to me as I looked for batteries.

Last edited:

kabonk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 1, 2010
NW Detroit Burbs
super T is a good place to buy batteries the shipping is like $1.35 and I finally broke down and bought a pila charger I know they're pricey and I didn't want to part with the money but it does charge batteries really fast I was using a cheap trustfire charger and it was running non stop all day everyday (I have a few of mods) the pila charges the 18650 in a few hours and the 14500s in about an hour I unplug it and thats a few less dollars I have to give to detroit edison

Last edited:

ambientech

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2011
somewhere
Pila chargers are the best of the best and well worth the money . Stick with AW IMR's or AW protected . The IMR's perform the best and are safer than a protected

I will say the Pila is a good unit but not the best of the best This is the best of the best Revolectrix :p:laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread