Status
Not open for further replies.

p.opus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Coral Springs FL
I bought my wire when the Aga-T was all the rage, and most people were using 32 awg, so that is what I use, because that is what I have. 4 or 5 wraps get me a 2.5 ohm coil. :(

Yes, I'm going to have to go to 30 awg on my next purchase. I bought 10 yards of wire for when I thought I was going to be rebuilding my Kanger heads....HA...

I don't microcoil or anything but use a basic figure 8 with 2 mil ekowool and I usually hit 2.2 ohms at 3 or 4 wraps.

When I buy new wick, I'm going down to 1.5 mil ekowool and 30 awg wire.

Last edited:

Glenn_K

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2013
Toronto
I just gave this build a try, and am testing it out now using Betavapes Papaya (which is really yummy); i'm enjoying the vape a lot. This is a good build, and i'll definitely use it again.

One comment about the pix in the original toot post; maybe this is something i'm seeing incorrectly due to camera angle, but it looks like the coil may not be high enough above the air hole. If you look at the kayfun manual, there's a line drawing (pg 8) which gives a good sense of optimal coil height. If the coil is too low, this can contribute to leaking.

Thanks for posting the tutorial.

-- Glenn

Found a good TUT:

You will need a 3/32 drill bit (2mm), 28g Kanthal wire, cotton ball, butane torch, scissors, and tweezers. This build should put you at 1.6 ohms. Before you start torch the piece of wire so it holds it's shape better.....

drummerskey

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2012
little birdhouse in your soul
So, my Kayfun came in the mail yesterday.........The pictures on the tutorials are deceiving, the area where the coil needs to go is WAY smaller than I thought it would be. I think I am going to give it a run over the weekend and I may just sell it.

Keeping it means doing tiny build work with my big sausage fingers and I don't think that is going to work well for me :)

Plus, I have to buy a beauty ring and my credit card is still smoking

wagon52

Verified Member
So, my Kayfun came in the mail yesterday.........The pictures on the tutorials are deceiving, the area where the coil needs to go is WAY smaller than I thought it would be. I think I am going to give it a run over the weekend and I may just sell it.

Keeping it means doing tiny build work with my big sausage fingers and I don't think that is going to work well for me :)

I thought the same about the size and doing a coil. It took a couple times to get it right. But since I got it set up right, I have numerous Pro Tank Aeros and IBTanked cartos just sitting around collecting dust. Check out GrimmGreens or RipTrippers videos on YouTube for a couple good coil builds for the Kayfun.

drummerskey

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2012
As long as you leave long tails on your coil to get ahold of, it should be no more difficult than any other build. Just trim off the excess.
...and you are removing both pieces of the chimney, right? everything should be exposed and easy to reach.

YUP. The tut at the beginning is likely the build that I will do and I have watched more videos and read more forum posts that I care to state, even before I bought the Kayfun. I absolutely understand most of the concept and feel confident I can do it......just not sure I am going to want to all the time.

PLANofMAN

Signature Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2012
Woodburn, OR
.....just not sure I am going to want to all the time.
Define "all the time." I change my wick weekly, and my coil bi-weekly/monthly (whenever it breaks, which isn't often). If you have any vape shops in the area, you could probably pay someone a dollar to do it for you. :D

Last edited:

Glenn_K

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2013
Toronto
I can relate to how you feel, on YouTube demo videos, everything looks so much larger and more manageable.

I, too, have hands more used to holding drum sticks than to wrapping tiny wires around a drill bit, but it actually becomes pretty easy with a little practice. The KayFun is a really good RBA.

-- Glenn

drummerskey

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2012
Define "all the time." I change my wick weekly, and my coil bi-weekly/monthly (whenever it breaks, which isn't often). If you have any vape shops in the area, you could probably pay someone a dollar to do it for you. :D

I am running with the assumption that if/when I change juice (which is often), and I use high pg and sweet flavors that I will have wick changes frequently and also........I didn't know how often I would have to do the coil but was going off the PT frequency.

But either way, I am not really a tinkerer by nature. I get really mad when things don't work and although I have the knowledge to fix and build a lot of things, I would rather pay someone to do it instead and just have the feeling that I am not really going to want to re-wick, build coils with any frequency for a consistent time frame but I did want to know how to do it. This would take up time away from my other hobbies.........and I don't have a lot of extra spare time but hey, who knows. I also said I wouldn't buy a big battery and I am in love with my Provari.

Fingers are the main issue. Holding drumsticks....bueno......playing guitar with the finger dexterity required to do so......no bueno.

drummerskey

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2012
Sure Plan, give me something else to buy :)

I think I was turned off by dripping in the beginning.....not that I bought a true dripper but I "McGyver-ed" one and it just seemed like a lot of work.

I change juice at least once a day but more frequently when I am at home. The only reason I don't do it more frequently is because changing juice and cleaning it out and/or hoping I vape out the old flavor without desecrating the new one would be a pain.

I used to vape the old CE3's and carried like 5 of them with me at all times and switched them........but that was work (see post about lazy and lack of spare time)

Kn0ttYFive

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 27, 2013
Releaser of the KRAKEN
More Stuff Laying Around ....

26 Gauge

Wire Type & Gauge: 26g Kanthal A-1
Coil size (what you wrap it on):1/16 drill bit
Number of Coils: 11
Measured Ohms of coil: ~.75ohm

26 ga. Kanthal A-1
8 wraps
14 ga. needle,
Ohms .9

wire: 26g Nichrome (= 25g Kanthal)
size (ID): 1/16" drill bit
# wraps: 8
resistance: 0.5Ω

wire/ 26g kanthal
coil size/ 16g blunt tip needle
wraps/ 8
Ω/ .6ish

Kanthal A1 26 awg
Wraped on .055" music wire
8 coils @ .7Ω

wire: 26 gauge Nichrome
size (ID): 1/16" Drill Bit
# wraps: 12
resistance: 0.9 ohms

26 AWG Nichrome 60
8/7 wraps touching
1/16 drill bit (micro coil)
0.5 Ω

26 AWG Nichrome 60
7/6 wraps touching
16 gauge blunt needle*
0.9Ω

26 ga. Kanthal A-1
8 wraps
14 ga. needle,
Ohms .9

27 Guage

wire: 27ga Kanthal A1
size (ID): 17ga blunt tip luer lock needle
# wraps: 14
resistance: 1.26 ohms

28 Gauge

Wire Type & Gauge: 28g Kanthal
Coil size (what you wrap it on):toothpick
Number of Coils:10
Measured Ohms of coil: 1.4

Wire Type & Gauge: 28g Kanthal
Coil size (what you wrap it on): 1/16 drill bit
Number of Coils:9

Wire Type & Gauge: 28g Kanthal A-1
Coil size (what you wrap it on): 2mm diameter screwdriver
Number of Coils: 9
Measured Ohms of coil: 1.2 ohm

Coil size (what you wrap it on): 2mm diameter screwdriver
Number of Coils: 6
Measured Ohms of coil: .9 ohm

WIRE: 28g Kanthal
ID: 1/16"
WRAPS: 7/8 x 2
RES: 0.5Ω
. . . (1Ω/ea)

wire: 28g Kanthal A1
size (ID): 1/16" drill bit
resistance: 2.1Ω

28AWG Kanthol
5/64" machined cylinder (.0005 runout, overkill)
7.5 wraps

Wire: 28swg kanthal A1
Coil Bore: 1.5mm
Number of Coils: 5 + long tails
Ohms: 0.76

Coil size (what you wrap it on):16 gauge needle
Number of Coils: 7/8
Measured Ohms of coil: ~1.0ohm

Wire Type & Gauge: 28g kanthal
Coil size (what you wrap it on): 1/16" drill bit
Number of Coils: 11
Measured Ohms of coil: 1.5 ohm

Kanthal A1 28 awg
1/16 drill bit
10 wraps
1.2Ω on rm2

28 ga
8 wraps
1/16" drill bit
1.0 ohm

Kanthal A1 28 awg
Wraped on .0625" (1/16") music wire
10 coils @ 1.2Ω

28 AWG Kanthal A1
5/4 wraps
1/16 drill bit
0.9Ω

29 Gauge

WIRE: 29g Kanthal
ID: 1.5mm (.0589")
WRAPS: 7/8 x 2
RES: 0.6Ω
. . . . (1.2Ω/ea)

30 Gauge

Kanthal A1 30 awg
Wraped on .0625" (1/16") music wire
12 coils @ 2.2Ω

Kanthal A1 30 awg
Wrapped on .047" music wire
16 coils 2.6Ω ea, total 1.3Ω

Kanthal A1 30 ga
~1/16 jeweler's screwdriver
11 wraps
1.82 ohms

Wire Type & Gauge: 30g Kanthal
Coil size (what you wrap it on): a heavy paperclip leg that's about equivalent to a 16g needle
Number of Coils: 10
Measured Ohms of coil: 1.8

Wire / 30 ga kanthal
coil / size "ID" 1.96 mm "screw driver"
Wraps 7
1.6 ohm

Wire Type & Gauge:30g Kanthol
Coil size (what you wrap it on):1/16 drill bit
Number of Coils:9
Measured Ohms of coil:1.6

Wire Type & Gauge: 30ga kanthal
Coil size (what you wrap it on): Doubled-over 3mm silica
Number of Coils: 4
Measured Ohms of coil: 1ohm

30 ga Kanthal
~1/16 screwdriver
11 wraps pulled really tight while wrapping
1.78 ohms

30 AWG Kanthal A1
13/14 wraps on 1/16 drill bit
Cotton wick
2.5Ω

Wire Type & Gauge: Kanthal 30g
Coil size (what you wrap it on): Supe's 17g needle (Thanks Supe!)
Measured Ohms of coil: 1.9

wire: 30ga Kanthal A1
size (ID): 16ga blunt tip luer lock needle
resistance: 2.3Ω

32 Gauge

Wire Type & Gauge: 32g Kanthal A-1
Coil size (what you wrap it on):Tiny screwdriver, roughly the size of a 16 gauge needle
Number of Coils: 17
Measured Ohms of coil: ~3.0ohm

Kanthal A1 32 awg twisted 2 stands
Wrapped on 1mm Ekowool with .039" (1mm) music wire core
8 coils, 1.1Ω

Wire Type & Gauge: 32g kanthal
Coil size (what you wrap it on): 1/16" drill bit
Measured Ohms of coil: 2.4 ohm

Wire Type & Gauge: 32g Kanthal
Coil size (what you wrap it on): my trusty paperclip leg
Number of Coils: 14 or 15?
Measured Ohms of coil: 3.8

Wire Type & Gauge: 32 gauge twisted
Coil size (what you wrap it on): round wooden toothpick
Number of Coils: 6

Last edited:

Melissa549

Verified Member
Jan 28, 2014
Eau Claire, WI
Just a quick breakdown:
Longer wire=More resistance, so more wraps will increase the resistance.
Thinner wire=More resistance as well.
Thicker wire=Less resistance/lower oHms.

This has to do with electrical flow. For an analogy, imagine you have a gallon of water. You need to put that water in another container. You can transfer it through a drinking straw (thin wire/high resistance) or through a garden hose (thick wire/low resistance). The water flows much easier through the garden hose.

The thicker the wire, the lower the awg (wire gauge) number. So 28 awg is thicker wire than 32 awg.

Most people use 30 awg on the Kayfun. I bought my wire when the Aga-T was all the rage, and most people were using 32 awg, so that is what I use, because that is what I have. 4 or 5 wraps get me a 2.5 ohm coil. :(

Thank you PlanofMan. I was wondering which gauge to get and this helped a lot.

Glenn_K

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2013
Toronto
PT coils are notorious for wearing out very quickly, they rarely lasted me more than a day or two.

As mentioned, less frequent coil maintenance is one of the joys of the KayFun. I vape some very thick e-liquids, which means more frequent changes, but I change cotton once or twice per week (sometimes less often) -- doing this change takes about a minute, once you get the hang of it.

-- Glenn

I am running with the assumption that if/when I change juice (which is often), and I use high pg and sweet flavors that I will have wick changes frequently and also........I didn't know how often I would have to do the coil but was going off the PT frequency.

But either way, I am not really a tinkerer by nature. I get really mad when things don't work and although I have the knowledge to fix and build a lot of things, I would rather pay someone to do it instead and just have the feeling that I am not really going to want to re-wick, build coils with any frequency for a consistent time frame but I did want to know how to do it. This would take up time away from my other hobbies.........and I don't have a lot of extra spare time but hey, who knows. I also said I wouldn't buy a big battery and I am in love with my Provari.

Fingers are the main issue. Holding drumsticks....bueno......playing guitar with the finger dexterity required to do so......no bueno.

drummerskey

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2012
Found a good TUT:

You will need a 3/32 drill bit (2mm), 28g Kanthal wire, cotton ball, butane torch, scissors, and tweezers. This build should put you at 1.6 ohms. Before you start torch the piece of wire so it holds it's shape better.

20140116_175107_zpsc0579761.jpg

First you need to do 10.5 wraps on the drill bit. I say 10.5 because after you make 10 wraps go another half a wind so the leads are facing opposite directions. Wrap this as tight and as close as possible.

20140116_175510_zpsc7b4b658.jpg

Did this.. ....works......should be called Kay-Work, wouldn't call that fun. It came out to 1.2 ohms. Don't know if that's good

Next put the coil in the tweezers. Don't squeeze too hard, just enough so all the coils touch. Then torch the coil so it glows bright red for about 10 seconds. Allow to cool for another 10 seconds. The end result should look like this.

20140116_180502_zps7d198f9e.jpg

Now insert the drill bit back through the coil. Position it as seen below with the leads going around the screw so when you tighten them it won't push the leads back out. Basically wrap the lead clockwise if you catch my drift. Bend the leads around screw then tighten down. If needed lift up on drill bit so the coil is not touching the deck. THIS IS IMPORTANT!!! It will short out otherwise. Clip excess wire from leads.

20140116_180831_zpscd116af4.jpg

Now screw it on to your mod. Press the fire button and see how it works (this is assuming you have already checked the ohms on a meter or on the mod). It should glow from the center outwards. If it doesn't then press the fire button for a couple seconds then release. Then pinch the coil together with the tweezers. Press the fire button again to see how it glows. If needed repeat heating and then pinching the coil together until the coil glows evenly.

20140116_181512_zpsee35fd96.jpg

When the coil is all set peel some cotton off of the cotton ball. Don't use too much. It should slide through the coil easily

20140116_181859_zps0c721dee.jpg

Then cut the wick just a little bit longer than the width of the base

20140116_182023_zpsfd5e767d.jpg

Now wet the wick with some juice. I use a small flathead to stick the wick to the side of the deck. Don't get any of the wick into the fluid channel or down the threads

20140116_182315_zps6f8bd24d.jpg

Next put the bottom part of the chamber on. The wick should stay put if not you can move it away from the channels with the flathead. It should look like this.

20140116_182539_zps666f0d25.jpg

Did this......works....1.2 ohms.....should be called Kay-work.....not blown away but good

PLANofMAN

Signature Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2012
Woodburn, OR
No. But I prefer a 2.0 ohm coil in my Kayfun. 1.2 gives you a limited range of voltage to run it at, and it's easy to get dry hits and burned taste at 1.2. If it's the flavor you're having issues with, cotton takes a little while to "break in." A few minutes on boiled cotton, up to a half hour on unboiled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread