Status
Not open for further replies.

drummerskey

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2012
little birdhouse in your soul
So, without reading anything (which is how I like to buy), I got the kayfun 3.1, had already bought organic cotton, purchased some 28g Kanthal.............don't have a torch but I guess I could buy one............

I know I cannot subohm and don't think I care that much but every youtube video and forum I have found either doesn't have the same gauge wire, uses doubled over silica or is the quad coil, chimney and double barrel, weaved coil....etc.

I'd like to build an easy coil, I guess with cotton since I have it..........at least an resistance I can fire on my Provari (see it's related) that isn't super complicated. I have the basics on how to do it so I am not really asking that.........I am asking, how big of a drill bit (or whatever) at how many wraps.............that will fit in the kayfun housing.............with 28g.......will get me something I can fire on my battery. If the answer is, get a different gauge wire, okay. I can live with that.

What I don't quite understand is, is more length going to get me a higher resistance? If so, how to get more length which is the age old question

BONUS QUESTION: if it were you and it was your first time, would you put a first built coil on a battery you didn't care about?

Kn0ttYFive

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 27, 2013
Releaser of the KRAKEN
Found a good TUT:

You will need a 3/32 drill bit (2mm), 28g Kanthal wire, cotton ball, butane torch, scissors, and tweezers. This build should put you at 1.6 ohms. Before you start torch the piece of wire so it holds it's shape better.

20140116_175107_zpsc0579761.jpg

First you need to do 10.5 wraps on the drill bit. I say 10.5 because after you make 10 wraps go another half a wind so the leads are facing opposite directions. Wrap this as tight and as close as possible.

20140116_175510_zpsc7b4b658.jpg

Next put the coil in the tweezers. Don't squeeze too hard, just enough so all the coils touch. Then torch the coil so it glows bright red for about 10 seconds. Allow to cool for another 10 seconds. The end result should look like this.

20140116_180502_zps7d198f9e.jpg

Now insert the drill bit back through the coil. Position it as seen below with the leads going around the screw so when you tighten them it won't push the leads back out. Basically wrap the lead clockwise if you catch my drift. Bend the leads around screw then tighten down. If needed lift up on drill bit so the coil is not touching the deck. THIS IS IMPORTANT!!! It will short out otherwise. Clip excess wire from leads.

20140116_180831_zpscd116af4.jpg

Now screw it on to your mod. Press the fire button and see how it works (this is assuming you have already checked the ohms on a meter or on the mod). It should glow from the center outwards. If it doesn't then press the fire button for a couple seconds then release. Then pinch the coil together with the tweezers. Press the fire button again to see how it glows. If needed repeat heating and then pinching the coil together until the coil glows evenly.

20140116_181512_zpsee35fd96.jpg

When the coil is all set peel some cotton off of the cotton ball. Don't use too much. It should slide through the coil easily

20140116_181859_zps0c721dee.jpg

Then cut the wick just a little bit longer than the width of the base

20140116_182023_zpsfd5e767d.jpg

Now wet the wick with some juice. I use a small flathead to stick the wick to the side of the deck. Don't get any of the wick into the fluid channel or down the threads

20140116_182315_zps6f8bd24d.jpg

Next put the bottom part of the chamber on. The wick should stay put if not you can move it away from the channels with the flathead. It should look like this.

20140116_182539_zps666f0d25.jpg

Last edited:

Glenn_K

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2013
Toronto
For 28 gauge Kanthol, I do about 12 wraps around a 1/16th" drill bit to get around 1.3 oHms, and it's a pretty nice vape, but maybe not ideal for a ProVari, because you will run into the amp limit at a certain point above 4 volts.

I'm tempted to say you can get away without a torch, but this is probably not true for 28 gauge and a Kayfun -- you'll need to compress the coil, and make it pretty narrow, to fit it comfortably between the two terminal screws.

-- Glenn

drummerskey

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2012
.............and so I don't make a ton of separate threads. Last night, I got my Provari in the mail and she was charged up and ready to run when I got home. I am coming from a Kanger Spinner and an iTaste 3.0.

First impressions and my review so far. Funny enough, I read the Ocelot Rituals today and it was smaller than I thought it would be and waaaaaaay heavier. I have un-officially named it Thor's Hammer for now. I read a lot of "it's just better" but no real description why. I can officially state that it is way better than my iTaste 3.0 and can officially state, that I cannot really explain why.

Does it send out Dragon Clouds? No.......not really. Does it hit like a freight train? No.........not really. Can I taste my juice better on my PTII? Yes. Does it taste like crazy better? No.......not really but I will tell you this. I commonly chain vape and don't put down my PV for longer than about 10 minutes unless I have to. I have been on 16mg of nic for about a month in a half and last night on 12mg and about an hour and a half. I had to put the PV down. I was.............and wait for it...........satisfied.

Through about a year and a half of vaping; starting on cigg-alikes and quickly moving to top coil and bottom coil atomizers. Trying different product after product and liking it but not being really, really happy; I am now really happy. All that I have really ever wanted was simple and effective. No building, tinkering, nightly rituals.......just simple happiness and I am good. I bought the Kayfun before I even had the chance to vape on my set up of Provari/PTII/Aerotank base and if the Kayfun doesn't work; I'm cool.

Now I just need to sit and wait for my other stuff to die.

drummerskey

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2012
For 28 gauge Kanthol, I do about 12 wraps around a 1/16th" drill bit to get around 1.3 oHms, and it's a pretty nice vape, but maybe not ideal for a ProVari, because you will run into the amp limit at a certain point above 4 volts.

I'm tempted to say you can get away without a torch, but this is probably not true for 28 gauge and a Kayfun -- you'll need to compress the coil, and make it pretty narrow, to fit it comfortably between the two terminal screws.

-- Glenn

This is where I get confused. If you are wrapping 28g 12 times and getting 1.3 and the TUT says 10.5 wraps gets 1.6.........I don't get it. I do understand the general principal but if I wanted to say, get more ohms out of the above TUT.......does wrapping it one more time get higher ohms or does wrapping one more time get lower ohms?

ScandaLeX

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 6, 2013
PhiLLy
This is where I get confused. If you are wrapping 28g 12 times and getting 1.3 and the TUT says 10.5 wraps gets 1.6.........I don't get it. I do understand the general principal but if I wanted to say, get more ohms out of the above TUT.......does wrapping it one more time get higher ohms or does wrapping one more time get lower ohms?

The more wraps the higher the Ω's.

Sent from a BIG phone.....Galaxy Note 3

PLANofMAN

Signature Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2012
Woodburn, OR
One build was on a 3/32 drill bit, the other on a 1/16 drill bit (bigger diameter=more wire used). The number of wraps is irrelevant, the overall length of the wire is what determines your resistance (ohms)

PLANofMAN

Signature Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2012
Woodburn, OR
Just a quick breakdown:
Longer wire=More resistance, so more wraps will increase the resistance.
Thinner wire=More resistance as well.
Thicker wire=Less resistance/lower oHms.

This has to do with electrical flow. For an analogy, imagine you have a gallon of water. You need to put that water in another container. You can transfer it through a drinking straw (thin wire/high resistance) or through a garden hose (thick wire/low resistance). The water flows much easier through the garden hose.

The thicker the wire, the lower the awg (wire gauge) number. So 28 awg is thicker wire than 32 awg.

Most people use 30 awg on the Kayfun. I bought my wire when the Aga-T was all the rage, and most people were using 32 awg, so that is what I use, because that is what I have. 4 or 5 wraps get me a 2.5 ohm coil. :(

Last edited:

ScandaLeX

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 6, 2013
PhiLLy
One build was on a 3/32 drill bit, the other on a 1/16 drill bit (bigger diameter=more wire used). The number of wraps is irrelevant, the overall length of the wire is what determines your resistance (ohms)

My answer was based on me using the same bit every time I wrap.

Sent from a BIG phone.....Galaxy Note 3

Glenn_K

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2013
Toronto
It depends on the size of the drill bit. I mentioned a 1/16th" inch size; H20 is talking about a 3/32nd" size, which is thicker = requires a longer length of Kanthol for a given number of wraps. Longer kanthol = higher resistance.

I'll put up a couple attachments which can help you calculate the resistance you'll get based on drill bit size, Kanthol gauge, etc, but it's probably easier just to follow H20's tutorial at the start. With a bit of practice, you'll start to figure out what drill bit size, how many wraps, etc, to reach the resistance you want:

View attachment Ohms Coils Calculator.xlsx View attachment Vaping DIY Coils.xlsx

-- Glenn

Edit: Er, what PoM said.

CommaHolly

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2012
Plant City, FL
Just a quick breakdown:
Longer wire=More resistance, so more wraps will increase the resistance.
Thinner wire=More resistance as well.
Thicker wire=Less resistance/lower oHms.

This has to do with electrical flow. For an analogy, imagine you have a gallon of water. You need to put that water in another container. You can transfer it through a drinking straw (thin wire/high resistance) or through a garden hose (thick wire/low resistance). The water flows much easier through the garden hose.

The thicker the wire, the lower the awg (wire gauge) number. So 28 awg is thicker wire than 32 awg.

Most people use 30 awg on the Kayfun. I bought my wire when the Aga-T was all the rage, and most people were using 32 awg, so that is what I use, because that is what I have. 4 or 5 wraps get me a 2.5 ohm coil. :(

THIS is the best explanation for us ignurent fokes I've ever read,,,,,thank you. I am getting ready to start building myself,,,,,and I was in the same boat as the OP a couple days ago,,,,,

very very helpful and helped me understand even better!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread