Update on Dr Farsalinos Study

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julie W

ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2013
Lets see how they argue it's not an effective smoking cessation product now & lets hope this is presented before the TPD is voted.

Quote:
"To give you an idea about the results, 81% reported that they had completely substituted smoking with e-cigarette use, while the rest reduced cigarette consumption from a median of 20 to 4 cigarettes per day."

Yay go Dr Farsalinos:thumbs:

Julie W

ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2013
Pleasure Uma :)
Those are just phenomenal quitting figures though,so how can they ignore this ?
They should be heralding ecigs as the greatest health break-through of the 21st century,& subsidising them!!!
given the money spent on smoking related diseases,but no!! they dont WANT a cure,
cures dont equate to B.P BT & governmental profits(tax),& the rest.:evil:

Shhhhh! :blush:don't rant (again) :D:vapor:

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
Well, to be fair, it's a self-selected survey answered by enthusiasts.

But these positive results are mounting up and will eventually create enough material that is hard to ignore. At this point it is probably fair to say that informed medics are now in favour of ecigs, and those against are a mix of those with commercial COIs or hardline religious views etc. So perhaps this kind of material will be useful to persuade legislators with. Policymakers are generally owned by the giant commercial interests so are a waste of time to appeal to (pharma places their own man in charge of the FDA, for example).

Luckily the policy makers don't have it all their own way due to the mounting number of voters who don't like the idea of being persecuted simply for wanting to stay alive and healthy. Let's try and do even better in that department.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
I have to agree with Roly. However, the quitting rates are improving even among those that are just initiating use. They're seeing more people using APVs and asking questions. I still see some just not "getting it" as far as how much nicer vaping is that smoking but I look at dual use as favorable because it gives them time to transition.

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
Yes. With an entirely new disruptive technology with multiple attractions, I believe dual-use is an extremely positive factor.

My own experience: I had no intention of giving up smoking. Someone gave me some ecigs, they sat on my desk, I used them a bit, sometimes I'd substitute a vape for a smoke. Over time I got frustrated with the minis of that time and got a 5v boxmod, which was about the best you could get then. Then I got another. Then I was only smoking once a day; then once a week.

One day I realised I hadn't smoked in ages and actually didn't know when that was. Haven't smoked a cigarette in years. It took months for it to work with me, but as I said, I had no intention of giving up smoking and absolutely intended to remain a cigarette smoker. (Though I still smoke the occasional cigar, because there is nothing really like the dinner-coffee-brandy-cigar thing).

Dual-use is a winner. At least, when you're talking about ecigs. It doesn't seem to have gone too badly in Sweden, either: male smoking prevalence will be 5% around 2016 there - beat that.

2coils

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 29, 2012
New Jersey
I introduced one of my employees to vaping. He has reduced his cigarette consumption by 75%. He for now, still enjoys a couple of cigs per day. I think every time he vapes instead of burning one, he is far better off. Only Glantz and the "others" see this as a problem. I cant possibly comprehend their logic, that because he is still smoking, he hasn't reduced his harm level any. :confused:

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
I introduced one of my employees to vaping. He has reduced his cigarette consumption by 75%. He for now, still enjoys a couple of cigs per day. I think every time he vapes instead of burning one, he is far better off. Only Glantz and the "others" see this as a problem. I cant possibly comprehend their logic, that because he is still smoking, he hasn't reduced his harm level any. :confused:

The reason you can't comprehend their logic is because it's incomprehensible.

Roly, the Swedes have the perfect harm reduction product, Swedish snus, in every imaginable variety. I feel lucky that we have a few General brands available at select convenience stores and my favorite, General Mint, is one of them. However, the decades of propaganda about smokeless has pretty well eliminated anything other than e cigs as a viable alternative to smoking for most Americans and the situation is worse in Europe with those bureaucratic fools. However, it really isn't at all about health, is it?

AegisPrime

ECF Veteran
Dec 17, 2013
The Fortesque Mansion, UK
Only Glantz and the "others" see this as a problem. I cant possibly comprehend their logic, that because he is still smoking, he hasn't reduced his harm level any. :confused:

Glantz is pimping the idea that we're all smoking as much as we were before and using e-cigs to increase our nicotine intake by vaping in places we can't smoke - total BS of course, but people are believing him.

Uma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2010
Calif
The ANTZ can and will ignore it. You know their motto "Never let the facts get in the way of a good story"

I've lived it for years with the 2nd amendment ANTZ

It's uncanny how much that fight resembles our own. The fed gov can't do anything, so the states jump in and ban it town by town, til there are ao many polkadots on the world atlas you can't see land. Just change the subject of smoke free to 2nd amendment free. They also use fear mongering, propaganda, media bias, junk science, exaggerated politicians... The same..
Somehow, we all need to join together no matter our own self righteous opinions on the subject, and fight for our constitution. 2nd, 4th, 9 th, & 14th are the worst hit, but so are the rest.

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
Lets see how they argue it's not an effective smoking cessation product now & lets hope this is presented before the TPD is voted.

Quote:
"To give you an idea about the results, 81% reported that they had completely substituted smoking with e-cigarette use, while the rest reduced cigarette consumption from a median of 20 to 4 cigarettes per day."

Yay go Dr Farsalinos:thumbs:

81% effective? Yay go us! :toast:

AgentAnia

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2013
Orbiting Sirius B
Is there any where to access the actual study.?

/Sweptr

I believe proper procedure is that once the study has been submitted for publication and is being peer reviewed, the authors will not release it independently. Probably the most that Dr. Farsalinos can say is what he says in his newsletter. We'll have to wait....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread