USB charging, yea or nea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Then why the many different places of manufacture if AW was able to manufacture their own?
Based purely on conjecture, maybe he got his start rewrapping Panasonic batteries. Found some engineers to hire to make new tech IMR batteries for him. Couldn't keep pace with Lg, Samsung, or Sony tech, and decided to rewrap again with the Korean made model. The other AW IMR only said Made in China, no "Cell Made in blank." He did what he could to stay competitive with the Big Three. Based purely on how he labeled his batteries.

Last edited:

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
Just wondering for what reasons specifically charging via USB is not preferable over a dedicated battery charger. Currently I'm using an aegis Solo with an AW imr 2000mAh battery. Should I just stick to what I've been doing my whole vaping experience and continue to use a dedicated battery charger?

I prefer to swap and charge them externally, but it's definitely a personal decision/issue.

I'm impatient. :blush:

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Based purely on conjecture, maybe he got his start rewrapping Panasonic batteries. Found some engineers to hire to make new tech IMR batteries for him. Couldn't keep pace with Lg, Samsung, or Sony tech, and decided to rewrap again with the Korean made model. The other AW IMR only said Made in China, no "Cell Made in blank." He did what he could to stay competitive with the Big Three. Based purely on how he labeled his batteries.

Why go back to re-wrapping if you have invested in manufacturing? He doesn’t have to compete with the big guns – which I suspect only takes on large contracts…leaving smaller contracts open for the bidding. The big 4 can’t cater to all customers.

I have no idea how many manufactures there are making these common sized cells, but I suspect there are dozens, and all over the world. Even Samsung does not use their own batteries for their own products.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Except AW didn't get involved with big contracts nor made batteries for battery packs. Focus was primarily single cell applications like flashlights. In fact, initially he first sold them only on the Candle Power forum, a flashlight enthusiast website.

His 2600 mah 10 amp 18650 was no longer competive with the 20 amp batteries by the Big Three. Perhaps his tech had topped out which forced him to make a deal to rewrap LG HG2's.

Last edited:

barkfunklerbunk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2014
Planet Earth
This thread has turned into a very interesting background and speculation on AW batteries. The AWs that I have are 2000 mAh 10 amp 18650, Made in China. Provape had recommended them for Provari, so I obviously followed their recommendations. Might have got a few of them from Rtdvapor. Seeing these red batteries makes me miss and regret selling the provari.

Reactions: Baditude

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Micro USB 2 is rated for 10000 cycles. If you where to achieve just 20% of that, that is nearly 3 years of use charging once a day. Ports and cables fail, but so do other components that make up a regulated device, especially when subjected to every day use and juice spills. There is nothing that states the device will not fail prior to the USB port. Billions of devices rely on Micro USB, port failure rate is minuscule compared to the failure rate of the electronics. Cable failure due to the stresses involved is much higher – but cables are easily replaced.

@barkfunklerbunk – the charging circuitry is the biggest of concern. Some devices charge at a rate higher than what they are spec, possibly stressing the battery. Some apply a trickle charge, and in some cases, to dangerous voltages, ie: above 4.2 volts. You are also dependent on the quality of the power source...some USB power sources are under rated, some over rated. The later will depend on how well the device is able to regulate that power.

Charging externally, you are using a device that is specifically designed for the job. And one that will use parts designed for charging without the worry about fitting them into a tight space, like what is used with the circuitry of a mod. It is also easier to monitor the cell when it is exposed – a light touch can reveal if a battery is getting hot…difficult to achieve when it is housed within a device.
While technically true in practice there are issues

1. many microUSB2 ports and cables are not actually full spec and can wear out much faster. In particular manufacturers tend to cheap out on the connection clips. Usually it’s the cables not the actual port, but a non spec cable can damage the port through regular use.

2. The ports are quite susceptible to external forces. They often have weak attachments to the board, and very thin easily damageable contacts.

Is it technically possible to get a full life cycle out of microUSB2? Yes. Does it happen in practice? Less often. You’ve got to be quite careful with it. Things falling off tables or cords catching on things can cause serious issues.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
While technically true in practice there are issues

1. many microUSB2 ports and cables are not actually full spec and can wear out much faster. In particular manufacturers tend to cheap out on the connection clips. Usually it’s the cables not the actual port, but a non spec cable can damage the port through regular use.

2. The ports are quite susceptible to external forces. They often have weak attachments to the board, and very thin easily damageable contacts.

Is it technically possible to get a full life cycle out of microUSB2? Yes. Does it happen in practice? Less often. You’ve got to be quite careful with it. Things falling off tables or cords catching on things can cause serious issues.

But you are focusing on the reliability of 1 component while neglecting the hundreds of others that are involved to make a regulated circuit. Don’t use the USB port because it is susceptible to failure. What about the fire button? Open any electronics supply and you will see small, surface mount switches have a life span between -6000 and 200K+ cycles. If we took 200k cycles, that is 180 presses per day across 3 years….assuming it is even meeting spec. That is the same as my exaggerated example of a – 80% life span of a micro USB port being used once a day. So should we not press the fire button in fear it also may wear out prematurely?

From just what I have been exposed to here on ECF, I have witnessed many more button failures than port failures.

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
The primary one is the fragility of microUSB2. When you get an internal battery mod with a microUSB2 charge port if the port breaks the device is trash. And it can happen in weeks. USBC does a great deal to improve this.
That's the real catch! Cheap little cable, cheap little port. I'm old school and into audio electronics. I'm always .....in about the weak little cables/connectors these days. My favorite reference is headphones. Tiny weak cable, tiny weak connector (that gets worn/loose and not reliable very easily) Old school headphones had a 1/4 inch connectorand a cable strong enough to hang yourself! Nuff said...

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
But you are focusing on the reliability of 1 component while neglecting the hundreds of others that are involved to make a regulated circuit. Don’t use the USB port because it is susceptible to failure. What about the fire button?
on which device? Many have different fire buttons. Are you talking about microswitches on VV boards? I personally haven’t had one of those fail on me yet. I’ve had several microUSB2 ports die on me though. Not in mods generally because I learned not to trust microUSB2 ports before it became a possible vaping issue for me.
Open any electronics supply and you will see small, surface mount switches have a life span between -6000 and 200K+ cycles. If we took 200k cycles, that is 180 presses per day across 3 years….assuming it is even meeting spec.
so you’re saying if I madly chain vape a VV mod every day it could fail in as little as three years. That sounds plausible. It’s hard to kick the cord on a microswitch inside a mod though
That is the same as my exaggerated example of a – 80% life span of a micro USB port being used once a day. So should we not press the fire button in fear it also may wear out prematurely?

From just what I have been exposed to here on ECF, I have witnessed many more button failures than port failures.
This is a fair point. Generally with buttons it’s cheaply made pods though. Also generally it’s not the microswitch, it’s the actual physical button cover plastic failing.

jandrew

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2013
Winnipeg
Indeed! I keep hearing the micro-usb "weak link" repeated but have never had a micro usb connector fail, not on internal batt mods that have seen hundreds of connect/disconnects, nor on my phone (pretty much daily connect/disconnect since early 2014), tablet, ereader, usb lights, speakers, powerbanks ... Sure, I'm just an anecdote, but, in my experience, weak usb connectors is a total non-issue.

jandrew

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2013
Winnipeg
The other AW IMR only said Made in China, no "Cell Made in blank."
Well, he was in Hong Kong (China), and if the cells were from any chinese cell manufacturer, then he wouldn't need to specify any additional country of origin ... it was all 'made in china'. Just my speculation.

Reactions: Baditude

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
on which device? Many have different fire buttons. Are you talking about microswitches on VV boards? I personally haven’t had one of those fail on me yet. I’ve had several microUSB2 ports die on me though. Not in mods generally because I learned not to trust microUSB2 ports before it became a possible vaping issue for me.
so you’re saying if I madly chain vape a VV mod every day it could fail in as little as three years. That sounds plausible. It’s hard to kick the cord on a microswitch inside a mod though

This is a fair point. Generally with buttons it’s cheaply made pods though. Also generally it’s not the microswitch, it’s the actual physical button cover plastic failing.

Kicking the cord is an accident. Accidents happen and sometimes we come out no worse for wear, sometimes we do not. Dropping your mod is an accident. Sometimes it will survive, sometimes it will not.

You claim you have had Micro USB ports fail – fair enough, I won’t dispute that…it happens. But that is how many failures out of the billions? I have not had a single Micro USB failure – cable or port. And some of my devices get cycled multiple times per day along with excessive stress put onto them.

SupplyDaddy

I'm considered a Mad Scientist in some circles!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Many folks look on the USB charging as a negative.

I don't. But then I try to ensure I'm using good cables and a dedicated source of power. Potek 6 port USB charger. My cables are the round magnetic style, so I just push in the round adapter and the ports are not subjected to the wear and tear. Also helps that I can use all the port styles and not worry about having dedicated cables. Micro, C or Lightning.

For the most part, I have PICO's of one type or another, Pico Squeeze's, Pico 25's and Pico 21700's. Same system works for my Pods, Njoy, SMOK Nords and Smoat Pasito.

Even my Evolv DNA's get a port, one is the 200 with a 3S LiPo, the other is a 75 using parallel.

No issues with USB charging on my end!

YMMV

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
That's the real catch! Cheap little cable, cheap little port. I'm old school and into audio electronics. I'm always .....in about the weak little cables/connectors these days. My favorite reference is headphones. Tiny weak cable, tiny weak connector (that gets worn/loose and not reliable very easily) Old school headphones had a 1/4 inch connectorand a cable strong enough to hang yourself! Nuff said...

Well if you are into audio electronics, then you will know that a lot of it is based on how much the manufacture is willing to put into each connector. A 3.5mm connector off a pair of Apple ear buds does not compare to a 3.5mm Furutech connector that can accept a 5 to 10 mm cable.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Well if you are into audio electronics, then you will know that a lot of it is based on how much the manufacture is willing to put into each connector. A 3.5mm connector off a pair of Apple ear buds does not compare to a 3.5mm Furutech connector that can accept a 5 to 10 mm cable.
This is true. I remember reading on this form somewhere that USBC port connectors ARE more expensive than microUSB2 ones. By 17 cents. There may be other costs in design as well. I don’t know specifically.
USBC mods do definitely tend to be more expensive than ones with MicroUSB2. The one device I had with a USBC port I had I gave to my sister to use as an internal charge device. She has no charger.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Indeed! I keep hearing the micro-usb "weak link" repeated but have never had a micro usb connector fail, not on internal batt mods that have seen hundreds of connect/disconnects, nor on my phone (pretty much daily connect/disconnect since early 2014), tablet, ereader, usb lights, speakers, powerbanks ... Sure, I'm just an anecdote, but, in my experience, weak usb connectors is a total non-issue.
Weak doesn’t mean non functional. If you always use high quality cables with the full-on correct connector and never stress the port there’s a very good chance you’ll get full service life out of it. Me though I’m clumsy and I got a cat that likes to knock things off counters.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Kicking the cord is an accident. Accidents happen and sometimes we come out no worse for wear, sometimes we do not. Dropping your mod is an accident. Sometimes it will survive, sometimes it will not.

You claim you have had Micro USB ports fail – fair enough, I won’t dispute that…it happens. But that is how many failures out of the billions? I have not had a single Micro USB failure – cable or port. And some of my devices get cycled multiple times per day along with excessive stress put onto them.
So here is where we have to dig up evidence. We could talk about the mobile phone consortiums agitating for early release of USBC to replace microUSB2 because they were having to do too many warranty repairs.
We could look at the LTT youtube test of microUSB2 vs USBC (microUSB2 failed at something like 800 insertions even when not hit and with a correct cable)
One could reply though that 800 insertions is still fine (true)
One could point out that damage by non standard cables or general knocking about shouldn’t count, and it’s no one else’s fault if you don’t treat your equipment carefully.

The original question though was what are the reasons that people promote removable battery mods over internal battery mods. I stated them. Is microUSB2 more fragile than USBC? I would say so. Time will tell of course. Why do people avoid microUSB2? Because some people have problems with it. It was a standard that was changed mid flight and not rigorously followed, and as such accrues the issues of such. The reasons why don’t matter.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
So here is where we have to dig up evidence. We could talk about the mobile phone consortiums agitating for early release of USBC to replace microUSB2 because they were having to do too many warranty repairs.
We could look at the LTT youtube test of microUSB2 vs USBC (microUSB2 failed at something like 800 insertions even when not hit and with a correct cable)
One could reply though that 800 insertions is still fine (true)
One could point out that damage by non standard cables or general knocking about shouldn’t count, and it’s no one else’s fault if you don’t treat your equipment carefully.

The original question though was what are the reasons that people promote removable battery mods over internal battery mods. I stated them. Is microUSB2 more fragile than USBC? I would say so. Time will tell of course. Why do people avoid microUSB2? Because some people have problems with it. It was a standard that was changed mid flight and not rigorously followed, and as such accrues the issues of such. The reasons why don’t matter.

Watch the video. Micro USB failed between 7900 and 8000 incretions, not 800! Depending on how you count that, 7900 is 21 years worth of incretions if performing 1 a day. My earlier example counted plugging in and removing as separate incidents so even my -80% life span is grossly exaggerated.

May not reach the 10000 spec, but willing to bet the majority of electronics will fail before the USB port.

So in the case of the OP’s question, will his device live 21 years to see out the failure of the USB port?

Reactions: Rossum
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread