USB charging, yea or nea

Status
Not open for further replies.

barkfunklerbunk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2014
Planet Earth
Just wondering for what reasons specifically charging via USB is not preferable over a dedicated battery charger. Currently I'm using an aegis Solo with an AW imr 2000mAh battery. Should I just stick to what I've been doing my whole vaping experience and continue to use a dedicated battery charger?

• Agree
Reactions: DPLongo22

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
There are two main issues and one minor one.

The primary one is the fragility of microUSB2. When you get an internal battery mod with a microUSB2 charge port if the port breaks the device is trash. And it can happen in weeks. USBC does a great deal to improve this.

The second issue is reliability. With an internal mod when the battery dies the mod dies, and this eventually WILL happen. If you buy a high quality mod that you want to last for over about a year you need swappable batteries.

The other lesser issue is removable batteries provide what is effectively instant recharging. If you have a bunch of batteries you can keep some handy while charging others and vaping on different ones. You can swap out batteries and poof! It’s recharged. To do this with internal battery devices you effectively need 3 mods. One in hand, one on deck, and one charging.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I'll add that IMO the USB port is primarily for future firmware upgrades of the processor. It can be also be used in an "emergency" situation to charge batteries, like when you go on vacation and forgot to bring your Li-ion charger.

With the Aegis Solo, the silicone plug covering the USB port could be damaged by repeated removal and insertion over time. An intact silicone plug is necessary to maintain it's waterproof and dustproof properties.

Generally, charging batteries in a Li-ion charger is safer and faster. Charging sometimes creates heat (whether in the mod or in the Li-ion charger), which is the enemy of batteries. Charging outside of the mod allows you to more easily monitor the battery for heat by touch. With all the mass/bulk of the Solo, I don't think you'd be able to monitor the battery for heat.

For the above reasons, that's why I always charge batteries in a Li-ion charger if I have a choice. I tend to avoid using mods which use an internal battery.

Last edited:

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Just wondering for what reasons specifically charging via USB is not preferable over a dedicated battery charger. Currently I'm using an aegis Solo with an AW imr 2000mAh battery. Should I just stick to what I've been doing my whole vaping experience and continue to use a dedicated battery charger?
Hola,
A two cell charger and two new cells can be had for less than $30.00.
While I have never had a problem with AW cells, they are quite dated now.
How did you charge the AW's before you got the Solo?

IMO, an external charger has one job...charge cells. A mod has one job, provide power to a 510.
It's about using the right tool for the right job.

Cheers
I

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Micro USB 2 is rated for 10000 cycles. If you where to achieve just 20% of that, that is nearly 3 years of use charging once a day. Ports and cables fail, but so do other components that make up a regulated device, especially when subjected to every day use and juice spills. There is nothing that states the device will not fail prior to the USB port. Billions of devices rely on Micro USB, port failure rate is minuscule compared to the failure rate of the electronics. Cable failure due to the stresses involved is much higher – but cables are easily replaced.

@barkfunklerbunk – the charging circuitry is the biggest of concern. Some devices charge at a rate higher than what they are spec, possibly stressing the battery. Some apply a trickle charge, and in some cases, to dangerous voltages, ie: above 4.2 volts. You are also dependent on the quality of the power source...some USB power sources are under rated, some over rated. The later will depend on how well the device is able to regulate that power.

Charging externally, you are using a device that is specifically designed for the job. And one that will use parts designed for charging without the worry about fitting them into a tight space, like what is used with the circuitry of a mod. It is also easier to monitor the cell when it is exposed – a light touch can reveal if a battery is getting hot…difficult to achieve when it is housed within a device.

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Beautiful Baldwinsville (CNY)
I'll always use an external charger. A halfway decent standalone charger does various battery checks, and implements good charging algorithms. Even then I run the charger with a timer outlet switch sitting behind it, so it can't possibly run more than a handful of hours.

That's just me, but it's what I've done for 9 years, so I doubt I'll change now.

barkfunklerbunk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2014
Planet Earth
I'll stick to my nitecore external charger, thank you for the responses, I already kind of knew, I just needed some clarification.
The AWs I had on hand from when I had my provari. They still had a 4.17v charge after not being used for several years. My builds are well within the limitations of the amps. I do have sony vtc5s as well, but these seem to be just fine. I'm on well on my way on day number 3 using the AW in my solo and just below, half way charge according to the screen.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
The AWs I had on hand from when I had my provari. They still had a 4.17v charge after not being used for several years. My builds are well within the limitations of the amps. I do have sony vtc5s as well, but these seem to be just fine. I'm on well on my way on day number 3 using the AW in my solo and just below, half way charge according to the screen.
It's a shame AW batteries are no longer being manufactured. They truly were a great battery if used within their specification range. I still have a couple of AW 18350, 18490, and 18650 for my unused Provari's.

Last edited:

barkfunklerbunk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2014
Planet Earth
It's a shame AW batteries are no longer being manufactured. They truly were a great battery if used within their specification range.
Definitely, I was surprised and impressed it held its charge so well after being neglected. I bought these from provape and I'm glad they will get some more use out of them. I have 8 of them, so I can get a nice lifecycle out of them yet, especially when I perceive I will get 4+ days out of a single charge! And I am solely using the solo Solo throughout the day. ;):D

jandrew

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2013
Winnipeg
It's a shame AW batteries are no longer being manufactured. They truly were a great battery if used within their specification range. I still have a couple of AW 18350, 18490, and 18650 for my unused Provari's.
Well, top rate cells are still being manufactured --- there's just not re-wrapper with the following/trust that Andrew Wan (Wong?) seems to have had around anymore.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Well, top rate cells are still being manufactured --- there's just not re-wrapper with the following/trust that Andrew Wan (Wong?) seems to have had around anymore.
Just my theory, but I think Andrew Wan made his red IMR batteries, and they were not rewraps.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I don’t know. Mooch commented on similarities between the 20 amp 3000 mAh AW cell vs the LG HG2, right down to the tooling marks.
Yes, I'm aware of that and I agree. The AW 18650 3000mah 20 amp battery most likely was an LG HG2 re-wrap.

I concede that the black ICR AW batteries were probably Panasonic re-wraps. Andrew Wan was a former employee of Panasonic and maintained a good relationship with his former employer.

However, I once did a comparison of all the 18650 AW IMR batteries and compared the specifications and battery lengths with other manufacturer's batteries at the time, and none matched up to be able to be called a rewrap of a known major manufacturer. The 18490 AW battery stood out from all the other 18490/18500 batteries at the time, spec and performance wise. And in their heyday, no other 18350 or 18490 batteries compared specifications or performance wise to the red AW IMR's. Samsung, Lg, Sony, or Panasonic didn't make 18350 or 18490 batteries that could be rewrapped, so if AW wasn't making them, who were? AW was the first IMR batteries available, before Lg, Samsung, or Sony batteries were available to the market.

So that is my "theory" which is admittedly circumstancial. Why is it so hard to believe Andrew Wan made his own line of batteries?

Last edited:

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Yes, I'm aware of that and I agree. The AW 18650 3000mah 20 amp battery most likely was an LG HG2 re-wrap.

I concede that the black ICR AW batteries were probably Panasonic re-wraps.

However, I once did a comparison of all the 18650 AW IMR batteries and compared specificatios and battery lengths with other manufacture's batteries at the time, and none matched to be able to be called a rewrap. The 18490 AW battery stood out from all the other 18490/18500 batteries at the time. And in their heyday, no other 18350 or 18490 batteries compared specifications or performance wise to the red AW IMR's. Samsung, Lg, Sony, or Panasonic didn't make 18350 or 18490 batteries that could be rewrapped, so if AW wasn't making them, who were?

There are more than the big 4, Samsung, LG, Sony & Panasonic that manufacture Li-ion batteries.

jandrew

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2013
Winnipeg
Samsung, Lg, Sony, or Panasonic didn't make 18350 or 18490 batteries that could be rewrapped, so if AW wasn't making them, who were?
I'd guess one of the china manufacturers that makes the cells under Vapcell, Exocell, Keeppower, Vapeonly, or other wraps. But who really knows. I certainly don't.

If he did have an actual battery manufacturing plant (at least for some cell sizes), you would think he'd have made that known.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I'd guess one of the china manufacturers that makes the cells under Vapcell, Exocell, Keeppower, Vapeonly, or other wraps. But who really knows. I certainly don't.

If he did have an actual battery manufacturing plant (at least for some cell sizes), you would think he'd have made that known.
Andrew Wan never admitted that his IMR batteries were re-wraps, either. He admittted that the black ICR batteries were re-wraps, which went through a intensive screening process before they had his famous AW sticker applied.

The duds were sold to Efest. :lol: (I made that part up.)

106-2600-600_1__38155.1399405577.jpg

Black ICR AW batteries said, "Assembled in China, Cell Made in Japan". Suggests a rewrap. Japan origin suggests its a Panasonic inside.

DSC_0677__92570.1464620973.JPG

This model says "Cell Made in Korea", suggests it is a rewrapped LG HG2.

DSC_0166__86329.1412901236.JPG

All other AW IMR batteries say only, "Made in China".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread