USB Pass-through Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoonMan

ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2009
There is no problem with vapor production; like I said it was very consistent. It is just not as much as a battery.

For the USB port damage, it did not break it, just made it sensitive to static charges. As is a small static discharge from me will turn off and electronic plugged into the port and I have to unplug and replug into the port to reset.

My passthrough gives just as good (usually better) vapor than a battery. I don't have the USB problem you mention either - static problems? Sounds like something in your computer isn't grounded right.

Both problems may be your computer's fault rather than the passthrough's. If the USB port isn't grounded correctly you could get low power and a finicky connection. Could be a short in your passthrough wire somewhere as well.

Last edited:

lachesis

ECF Veteran
Mar 30, 2009
NJ, USA
You just carefully pop the cap off - nothing to it. The LED is part of a tiny circuit board that sits in the tube underneath the cap and is attached to the cable.

I had to drill the hole in the cap bigger to accept the wider cable, but other than that it's just a matter of popping the cap, cutting the old wire and installing the new.

Good to know. Thank you.

I thought the cap was LED, but I guess it's just a clear cover then. If there's something sitting behind the cap directly.. I might not have enough space to work with by stuffing it with epoxy putty to really hold down the cable.

I was thnking about making a loose tie knot benihd the cap, so that I won't be able to pull it - and put some epoxy putty and super glue, so that nothing could move..

MoonMan

ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2009
I was thnking about making a loose tie knot benihd the cap, so that I won't be able to pull it - and put some epoxy putty and super glue, so that nothing could move..

That could possibly work, there is some room to work with in there (since there's no battery). The only problem is that the more you put in there, the less you will be able to see the LED light up.

They have the original cable secured inside the cap with a little loop of thick wire and some glue.

Last edited:

lachesis

ECF Veteran
Mar 30, 2009
NJ, USA
That could possibly work, there is some room to work with in there (since there's no battery). The only problem is that the more you put in there, the less you will be able to see the LED light up.

They have the original cable secured inside the cap with a little loop of thick wire and some glue.

I see. If I'm not mistaken, you are saying that LED is actually sitting little further down, not directly underneath... ? In that case - you are absolutely correct that if I block something, I won't see the lights...

I actually don't mind having no lights - but it's also used as an indicator... so I guess it's important. Maybe clear resin... but it might damage the whole board... hmm.

And I guess it also depends on the model you have... I'm getting rn4081 and DSE801 USB pass-throughs - and I'm guessing DSE801 will have much more room to work with.

Anyhow, thank you for your input. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread