The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

USB Pass-through Review

Discussion in 'Accessory Reviews' started by Kaston, Apr 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. MoonMan

MoonMan Senior Member ECF Veteran

Jan 12, 2009
    My passthrough gives just as good (usually better) vapor than a battery. I don't have the USB problem you mention either - static problems? Sounds like something in your computer isn't grounded right.

Both problems may be your computer's fault rather than the passthrough's. If the USB port isn't grounded correctly you could get low power and a finicky connection. Could be a short in your passthrough wire somewhere as well.

2. lachesis

lachesis Super Member ECF Veteran

Mar 30, 2009
    NJ, USA
    Good to know. Thank you.

I thought the cap was LED, but I guess it's just a clear cover then. If there's something sitting behind the cap directly.. I might not have enough space to work with by stuffing it with epoxy putty to really hold down the cable.

I was thnking about making a loose tie knot benihd the cap, so that I won't be able to pull it - and put some epoxy putty and super glue, so that nothing could move..

3. MoonMan

MoonMan Senior Member ECF Veteran

Jan 12, 2009
    That could possibly work, there is some room to work with in there (since there's no battery). The only problem is that the more you put in there, the less you will be able to see the LED light up.

They have the original cable secured inside the cap with a little loop of thick wire and some glue.

4. lachesis

lachesis Super Member ECF Veteran

Mar 30, 2009
    NJ, USA
    I see. If I'm not mistaken, you are saying that LED is actually sitting little further down, not directly underneath... ? In that case - you are absolutely correct that if I block something, I won't see the lights...

I actually don't mind having no lights - but it's also used as an indicator... so I guess it's important. Maybe clear resin... but it might damage the whole board... hmm.

And I guess it also depends on the model you have... I'm getting rn4081 and DSE801 USB pass-throughs - and I'm guessing DSE801 will have much more room to work with.

Anyhow, thank you for your input. :)

5. ThrashNeon

ThrashNeon Senior Member ECF Veteran

May 12, 2009
    Looking for USB pass through for DSE084...

Not finding one specifically-- which model is compatible?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.