USB Passthrough Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

audio

ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2010
Nebraska
I just read this in the New Members Forum:

"I think one of the most important points is -- if you order a USB passthru, do NOT let it near your computer port. Use an adapter. Your reward will be that if something goes wrong with one of the batteries, you will never fry your motherboard -- eek!"

I promptly unplugged my passthrough from my computer.

Is this true?

Is this only for passthroughs with a battery (mine doesn't have a battery)?

What is meant by "Use an adaptor?"

I definitely cannot afford to fry my motherboard!

Thanks!

audio

ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2010
Nebraska
Thanks Mike,

What I quoted was mentioned in passing within a lengthy thread titled "Hi From Oregon" in the new members forum. It didn't seem like an appropriate place to get an answer from experts, so I posted a new thread specific to the question. Accessories Discussion seemed like a good place to pose a question about USB passthroughs.

zelda

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 21, 2009
Echo Beach
Its best to use a usb wall adaptor just to be on the safe side. Make sure it is 1000mA output Otherwise it will most likely be too weak to power the passthrough.
Its best to use the adaptor with all types of passthroughs even the one without the battery.
I think some people use their ipod chargers but I'm not sure of this. Hopefully someone else will post if they use this charger.

(I did hear several months ago someone did fry their motherboard but I never did get all the details).

You might also want to look at this thread for some info
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/new-members-forum/24644-usb-car-wall-adaptor.html

Good luck and welcome to the world of vaping.

Last edited:

AMBKJ

ECF Veteran
May 10, 2010
Colorado
I've had a usb passthrough for about a week and I must say I was NOT impressed. I just read this thread and so plugged my passthrough into the
um, thingamajiggee, powerstrip/surgeprotector that the computer is plugged into, using my ipod wall adapter. WOW! Completely different experience and lotsa vapor. So, I guess, my usb port doesn't put out enough to really fire up this thing.

daisyd

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2010
Az
Audio you're very welcome. I hope if you have more questions as no doubt you will you'll feel free to post. There are some very knowledgeable people on the forum willing to help you out.

And by posting you've already helped another member out.

This is true. I never would have seen the other thread and I have a brand new pt waiting for me when I get home next week. I would have plugged it right in to my laptop, which is old and on its last leg. Thank you.

cozzicon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 19, 2010
Chicago IL
Actually- you will have a better experience if you plug the passthrough into a powered USB hub. Most USB ports on the computer's logic board barely meet the power requirements for the USB standard.

If you have a powered USB hub- it will not only protect your computer... but also provide good power.

Here's mine:

Attachments

• usb.jpg
    usb.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 42

audio

ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2010
Nebraska

audio

ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2010
Nebraska
Actually- you will have a better experience if you plug the passthrough into a powered USB hub. Most USB ports on the computer's logic board barely meet the power requirements for the USB standard.

If you have a powered USB hub- it will not only protect your computer... but also provide good power.

Here's mine:

Thanks cozzicon. I have the USB wall adaptor for the battery charger, but it's only 5V - 500mA, and I've read that it should be at least 1,000mA to use with a passthrough. I'll look into a different wall adaptor versus a USB hub and see which has a more reasonable cost (I'm unemployed too).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread