The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

USB Passthrough Question

Discussion in 'E-Cigarette Accessories Discussion' started by audio, Jun 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. audio

audio Super Member ECF Veteran

Jun 8, 2010
    Nebraska
    I just read this in the New Members Forum:

"I think one of the most important points is -- if you order a USB passthru, do NOT let it near your computer port. Use an adapter. Your reward will be that if something goes wrong with one of the batteries, you will never fry your motherboard -- eek!"

I promptly unplugged my passthrough from my computer.

Is this true?

Is this only for passthroughs with a battery (mine doesn't have a battery)?

What is meant by "Use an adaptor?"

I definitely cannot afford to fry my motherboard!

Thanks!

2. mikecyber

mikecyber Senior Member ECF Veteran

If you read about it in another thread why did you create a new thread to ask a question?

An adapter lets you plug a usb passthrough into a wall socket.

All passthroughs are capable of drawing up to 2 amps. If your computer's usb port can't supply that don't plug it in. Powered usb hubs are fine.

3. audio

Jun 8, 2010
    Nebraska
    Thanks Mike,

What I quoted was mentioned in passing within a lengthy thread titled "Hi From Oregon" in the new members forum. It didn't seem like an appropriate place to get an answer from experts, so I posted a new thread specific to the question. Accessories Discussion seemed like a good place to pose a question about USB passthroughs.

4. zelda

zelda Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 21, 2009
    Echo Beach
    Its best to use a usb wall adaptor just to be on the safe side. Make sure it is 1000mA output Otherwise it will most likely be too weak to power the passthrough.
    Its best to use the adaptor with all types of passthroughs even the one without the battery.
    I think some people use their ipod chargers but I'm not sure of this. Hopefully someone else will post if they use this charger.

(I did hear several months ago someone did fry their motherboard but I never did get all the details).

You might also want to look at this thread for some info
    http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/new-members-forum/24644-usb-car-wall-adaptor.html

Good luck and welcome to the world of vaping.

5. audio

Jun 8, 2010
    Nebraska
    Thanks Zelda, the thread you linked was very informative.

6. searcher

searcher Super Member ECF Veteran

Sep 17, 2009
    Bossier City, La
    I received my usb wall adapter and cig lighter today from dealextreme. both worked great and cheaper than the ones I bought from a stateside dealer (I always like to have a couple of everything when I vape). The part numbers are Item# 39314 and Item# 34040.

7. AMBKJ

AMBKJ Senior Member ECF Veteran

May 10, 2010
    Colorado
    I've had a usb passthrough for about a week and I must say I was NOT impressed. I just read this thread and so plugged my passthrough into the
    um, thingamajiggee, powerstrip/surgeprotector that the computer is plugged into, using my ipod wall adapter. WOW! Completely different experience and lotsa vapor. So, I guess, my usb port doesn't put out enough to really fire up this thing.

8. zelda

zelda Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 21, 2009
    Echo Beach
    Audio you're very welcome. I hope if you have more questions as no doubt you will you'll feel free to post. There are some very knowledgeable people on the forum willing to help you out.

And by posting you've already helped another member out.

9. daisyd

daisyd Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 24, 2010
    Az
    This is true. I never would have seen the other thread and I have a brand new pt waiting for me when I get home next week. I would have plugged it right in to my laptop, which is old and on its last leg. Thank you.

10. Lab

Lab Unregistered Supplier ECF Veteran

Nov 16, 2009
    Indiana
    the odds of it frying the motherboard are low.. but think of it this way.. there is no fuse in the passthru so if there is a short it will go in your motherboard or power supply depending on the comp... so buying a $5 adapter is better than risking $50 + part on a comp..

11. bigblue30

bigblue30 Supplier Associate ECF Veteran

May 10, 2010
    Saint Clair Shores
  12. Tuscany Sun

Tuscany Sun Full Member

Jun 17, 2010
    misty cloud, FL
    Thank you Audio for asking the question and to the others for the above links (BigBlue, your geek'ie answer was just what I was looking for!)

I think I've got it now! Waiting on my 5V2Amp AC plug to be delivered tomorrow

13. cozzicon

cozzicon Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 19, 2010
    Chicago IL
    Actually- you will have a better experience if you plug the passthrough into a powered USB hub. Most USB ports on the computer's logic board barely meet the power requirements for the USB standard.

If you have a powered USB hub- it will not only protect your computer... but also provide good power.

Here's mine:

Attached Files:

• usb.jpg
      usb.jpg
      File size:
      22.2 KB
      Views:
  14. audio

Jun 8, 2010
    Nebraska
  15. audio

Jun 8, 2010
    Nebraska
    Thanks cozzicon. I have the USB wall adaptor for the battery charger, but it's only 5V - 500mA, and I've read that it should be at least 1,000mA to use with a passthrough. I'll look into a different wall adaptor versus a USB hub and see which has a more reasonable cost (I'm unemployed too).

16. bigblue30

May 10, 2010
    Saint Clair Shores
    Audio,

If you can find a old netgear power supply from a router. They work great. 5 volts at 2 amps.

17. audio

Jun 8, 2010
    Nebraska
    Thanks bigblue,

When you say "old," do you mean old-timey or used?

18. bigblue30

May 10, 2010
    Saint Clair Shores
    Just meant to not rip out your current one if you have one...lol. Some of the new ones are 12 volts. I have a few pieces of "older" netgear stuff that is 5 volts. Look at routers, hubs, switches.

19. audio

Jun 8, 2010
    Nebraska
    Thanks! I will.

20. gemini2281

gemini2281 Super Member ECF Veteran

Jan 29, 2010
    Walnut Ridge, Arkansas
    I'm actually using my iPhone wall adapter to power my passthrough. Seems to be working just fine so far.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.