USB Power question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cellmeister

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2009
Beantown, USA
I am building a USB pass through I am wondering how to get my USB port to cough up its full potential of 500mA? I haven’t played around with USB ports before so I need a little help:confused:. Thanks- Devon

Devon The USB Computer Power Output is Automatic, Usually The Draw of The Amps is From What the device Is Calling For. You can't change that (basically u can't)/

FYI You Can't Draw More USB Power from the Computer USB Port Then What The Port Limits Itself Too (Max Output is around 500 mAh if properly working, other adapters in use, etc) there is a safety in there.

The Best Way is To Connect to A Powered USB Hub Directly, That will Give You The 500 mAh Safely and without any issues.

I Prefer The Powered USB Port, The Battery Pack & / or The AC to DC USB Power Plug, I know I am getting Full Power = Full Performance.

You already know you can go battery pack and / or a AC to DC Adapter (5 volt 1000 mAh) and this info is for the forum members.

Devon, PM Later if you want.

Hope this helps

Last edited:

BJ43

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2008
I am building a USB pass through I am wondering how to get my USB port to cough up its full potential of 500mA? I haven’t played around with USB ports before so I need a little help:confused:. Thanks- Devon

Build it and try it, I have built 6 and all work great on usb on my laptop. Tried using a split usb cable to two ports like some drives use to get 1000mha but did not see any better vapor so I just use one port now. I suspect the higher voltage (5V) may reduce the need for 1000mha. When I use the same passthrus on my portable power (5V 1000mha) they can get too hot and give a burnt taste. Go to this post to see one of my first attempts that is still going strong. Less breakable Passthru?

devonschmoker

ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2009
Portland, OR USA
Ok I figured it out. I am using a Joye510 atomizer (because that is what I have laying around). It’s the atomizer, it needs more current. I hooked it up to a 4 AA case and still got little vapor. (I did get more than I got from the USB port) I think that the 510 must have a current amp in it. I guess that I will have to hook up to the circuit board to run the 510 properly. Oh and a little note, the switch on the 510 board is normally closed. (I find that a little odd) I would use the board I had but I grabbed the wrong soldering iron (60W instead of the 15W) and fried a micro resistor so I guess I will have to wait till I pull another dead one apart. Thanks for everyone’s input.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread