Used Darwin

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrandonSi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 19, 2009
Chicago
I'm looking to buy one, and I've got a "WTB" thread in the classifieds, but I was just curious.. for those who bough theirs used, anything to look out for? I know I'd prefer a new one (locking arm / blue LCD), but anything else I would want to check on? It should come with USB cable, right..? Anything else?

I hate to have to buy a used one, but I just don't see these new ones coming out anytime soon.. I've been watching since late Feb.. :(

Last edited:

Killjoy1

Ω Destroyer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2011
New Hampshire, US
Nothing really to "look out" for. Basically if it works then it's fine :) The swing arm can be a tad wobbly, but this is normal, some are just stiffer than others (mine has had a little bit of wiggle from day 1 and I bought it new). As for the USB cable, even if you don't get one with it you can just use any USB cable or charger. The charge rate is regulated inside the Darwin itself, as is the charge cutoff, the charger that comes with it new is nothing fancy or device-specific. There are no other accessories that come with the Darwin new, I got a holster with mine but that appears to have just been a freebie Drew threw in rather than a standard inclusion as far as I can tell

New ones should finally be coming in a couple more weeks according to Brandon, so email Drew at Nhaler about being put on the notification list if you haven't already so you can get a heads-up. I'm sure that list is pretty long by now :p

BrandonSi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 19, 2009
Chicago
Nothing really to "look out" for. Basically if it works then it's fine :) The swing arm can be a tad wobbly, but this is normal, some are just stiffer than others (mine has had a little bit of wiggle from day 1 and I bought it new). As for the USB cable, even if you don't get one with it you can just use any USB cable or charger. The charge rate is regulated inside the Darwin itself, as is the charge cutoff, the charger that comes with it new is nothing fancy or device-specific. There are no other accessories that come with the Darwin new, I got a holster with mine but that appears to have just been a freebie Drew threw in rather than a standard inclusion as far as I can tell

New ones should finally be coming in a couple more weeks according to Brandon, so email Drew at Nhaler about being put on the notification list if you haven't already so you can get a heads-up. I'm sure that list is pretty long by now :p

Thanks! Already on the wait list.. A couple weeks huh? Hadn't heard that.. very good news. We'll see which comes first, the blue/green LED provari's or the new Darwin.. Guess it doesn't matter, I'll probably buy both anyway.. ;)

Killjoy1

Ω Destroyer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2011
New Hampshire, US
You'll definitely be happy with it when you get one :) Mine has been my daily carry mod for almost a year, now, and it still is performing like it did at the start. It's been through a lot and the anodizing is starting to wear just a bit where I hold it, just enough to notice, but otherwise isn't showing its age at all (well, except for the lack of the recent revisions, I'd love one of the newer style connector arms ;-) )

BrandonSi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 19, 2009
Chicago
Good to hear! I love my Provari, but it's unwieldy.. Looking for something as nice, but more "packable" in luggage, bags, etc.. and charging / swapping batteries gets old.

Do you use a tank system at all? I'm getting the impression the best bet for having a fair amount of juice is a drip shield and XL cartos..

Killjoy1

Ω Destroyer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2011
New Hampshire, US
Yeah, I use tanks pretty often. It all depends on my situation. If I plan on frequently pocketing it, then I use cartos so I can close the arm and just drop it in my shirt or jeans pocket, but if I don't then I use tanks (like during my 40 minute commute each way to work). I can only vape in the smoking area at work, and only on my scheduled breaks, so for me it's no big deal to use a tank through break and then just take it off when my break is over to throw it back in my pocket and then into my toolbox until the next break or quitting time

You'll need a 510 extender adapter for most tanks unless you just leave it in the fully open or 90 degree position all the time, but tanks are really no problem on it unless you need to frequently take it out and put it away.

andel11

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2009
Bay Area, Ca
I'm looking to buy one, and I've got a "WTB" thread in the classifieds, but I was just curious.. for those who bough theirs used, anything to look out for? I know I'd prefer a new one (locking arm / blue LCD), but anything else I would want to check on? It should come with USB cable, right..? Anything else?

I hate to have to buy a used one, but I just don't see these new ones coming out anytime soon.. I've been watching since late Feb.. :(

I think Drew said that more may be coming out in a couple of weeks. He is in China now but will be back in a couple of weeks, check the Nhaler-Darwin forum for more info.
Oh nevermind, I see someone already mention it.

Last edited:

tearose50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2011
Tennessee :-)
What to look for --- Get a copy of the original receipt so you can get the warranty transferred to you. Battery warranty is one year. Device is 2. Just a precaution and easier to get the data at time of sale from the seller.

I wouldn't wait or demand a blue screen---to me the original screen is easier to read.....and I love blue!

tearose50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2011
Tennessee :-)
I haven't been a tank user much -- but I don't think it's a big deal to have the locking positions. Others may disagree. Any Darwin is better than no Darwin! lol.

I don't know if the Blue Screen is becoming standard or not? I don't think it's been announced as so. The locking arm positions are now a regular feature along with a couple other tweaks......and if you do have to send it in for any reason are usually upgraded. (I'm being careful to not say always.....but it could be.)

My battery might have been misused by a prior owner, (this type of battery shouldn't be let to go to full discharge), so it needed to be replaced early -- when the mod was about 8 months old -- and I got it back in about a week with brass all shined up and the newer locking arm and I'm not sure what else!

Hoping you acquire a Darwin soon! I've been quite pleased with mine and love Variable Watts and what I call, the built in multimeter (display screen)!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread