Using a tank on another brand's mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kamnet

Mar 3, 2017
Sorry I'm new to vaping, I don't know much. I'm just wondering if I can basically mix and match tanks with mods as long as it fits. I don't want to test it because I'm not much of a daring person & I want to be safe. Also can't find anything about it on google.

Anyway, specifically I had my eyes set on the Smok TFV12 Prince tank and quite honestly the Smok Mag as well. I really do want the entire set. However.. I keep hearing that Smok has a bad reputation.. but that tank still has good reviews so I decided to drop the kit and maybe go with a vaporesso revenger instead. I just really can't stand the bland design of other companies.. so I'm hoping I can at least switch out the tank.

basically, smok prince + vaporesso revenger. Can I do it?

• Agree
Reactions: stols001

Kamnet

Mar 3, 2017
Yes, you can mix and match. As long as you're not messing with a actual mechanical mod, you will be fine.

Oh nice that makes me really happy, thank you! Do you happen to know about the tank and mod I was looking at by any chance? Are they anything that could be recommended? Because even though now I know I can do it, I'm still worried that maybe I could make better choices.

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
Oh nice that makes me really happy, thank you! Do you happen to know about the tank and mod I was looking at by any chance? Are they anything that could be recommended? Because even though now I know I can do it, I'm still worried that maybe I could make better choices.
The revenger is a good mod from what I gather, don’t own one myself but people like them. I like Smoant mods with the Cylon being my daily vape, awesome mod so take a look. I highly recommend it. I haven’t used smok tanks but they seem to be popular and people like them. The only non rebuildable tank I use is the uwell crown. It’s been around a few years but it’s a great tank. The setup you’re looking at is a good choice. Good luck

SupplyDaddy

I'm considered a Mad Scientist in some circles!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Kamnet, none of the items you listed are items I have used.
Closest I get is the Smok TFV8-X Baby Beast Brother (top air flow), with the rebuildable coil insert.
Other wise, I use OBS and Greek Vape top airflow tanks and Pico 25's and 21700's along with my own built PWM mods.

Edwin Betz

ECF Veteran
Apr 5, 2018
Dayton, Ohio. USA
Sorry I'm new to vaping, I don't know much. I'm just wondering if I can basically mix and match tanks with mods as long as it fits. I don't want to test it because I'm not much of a daring person & I want to be safe. Also can't find anything about it on google.

Anyway, specifically I had my eyes set on the Smok TFV12 Prince Tank and quite honestly the Smok Mag as well. I really do want the entire set. However.. I keep hearing that Smok has a bad reputation.. but that tank still has good reviews so I decided to drop the kit and maybe go with a vaporesso revenger instead. I just really can't stand the bland design of other companies.. so I'm hoping I can at least switch out the tank.

Yes you can use any tank if it has 510 pin, which is pretty much the standard.

As far as Smok, well I personally own the Mag 225w with TFV12 Prince and I have never had a problem with it. Heck it is one of my favorites! Although it's always good to have a back up (or 2, 3, 4,....)in case the unexpected happens.

Kamnet

Mar 3, 2017
Yes you can use any tank if it has 510 pin, which is pretty much the standard.

As far as Smok, well I personally own the Mag 225w with TFV12 Prince and I have never had a problem with it. Heck it is one of my favorites! Although it's always good to have a back up (or 2, 3, 4,....)in case the unexpected happens.

Oh thanks that actually makes me really happy as well! I originally wanted the mag to begin with, I just can't say I know enough about it to buy it. I might end up getting the kit but I'll still leave my options open a bit longer. (I get paid on the 5th anyway) Hah.

NealBJr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Lawrenceville, Ga.

Anyway, specifically I had my eyes set on the Smok TFV12 Prince Tank and quite honestly the Smok Mag as well. I really do want the entire set. However.. I keep hearing that Smok has a bad reputation.. but that tank still has good reviews so I decided to drop the kit and maybe go with a vaporesso revenger instead. I just really can't stand the bland design of other companies.. so I'm hoping I can at least switch out the tank.

Short answer: yes, you can. The standard on the connector is called a 510, which is pretty much what is used on all ecigs. If you like the tank from one brand, and the mod from another brand, they should work together. There are a few rare instances where they don't, but %99 of the time, it's a yes.

Additional info... Smok, at least to me, do not make a bad product. They don't make top of the line products either. They are a good middle of the road product. Smok tends to cater to making affordable mods. Sometimes shortcuts are done. But overall, they try their best to make a good product. In atomizers, the TFV4 set a new standard when it came to atomizers and they cemented that reputation with the TFV8. The TFV12 is the latest incarnation of that line, and it doesn't look like their reputation is going downhill.

As far as the Smok mag kit.. I personally don't like their mods. Not because of it being a bad mod, but because of their style. The Mag kit looks too much like a gun grip to me (which was the idea). I personally like clean lines ona mod, and the Mag is a bit too flashy for me. Their box mods also tend to have most or all of one side being the fire button. Although that makes it easy to use, it makes it too easy, and I don't like the idea of it being so easy to fire while being in the pocket. What you call bland, is what I call clean lines and elegant look. It's just a matter of preference.

Edwin Betz

ECF Veteran
Apr 5, 2018
Dayton, Ohio. USA
The Smok MAG automatically locks after a preset amount of time, or the default I believe is 1 minute. To unlock it you have to press the fire button 5x rapidly or both + and - at the same time to unlock the mod.
Short answer: yes, you can. The standard on the connector is called a 510, which is pretty much what is used on all ecigs. If you like the tank from one brand, and the mod from another brand, they should work together. There are a few rare instances where they don't, but %99 of the time, it's a yes.

Additional info... Smok, at least to me, do not make a bad product. They don't make top of the line products either. They are a good middle of the road product. Smok tends to cater to making affordable mods. Sometimes shortcuts are done. But overall, they try their best to make a good product. In atomizers, the TFV4 set a new standard when it came to atomizers and they cemented that reputation with the TFV8. The TFV12 is the latest incarnation of that line, and it doesn't look like their reputation is going downhill.

As far as the Smok mag kit.. I personally don't like their mods. Not because of it being a bad mod, but because of their style. The Mag kit looks too much like a gun grip to me (which was the idea). I personally like clean lines ona mod, and the Mag is a bit too flashy for me. Their box mods also tend to have most or all of one side being the fire button. Although that makes it easy to use, it makes it too easy, and I don't like the idea of it being so easy to fire while being in the pocket. What you call bland, is what I call clean lines and elegant look. It's just a matter of preference.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
As others already stated, the tanks and mods are almost all compatible as long as it's a 510 pin.

Some tanks have longer or shorter pins that some mods cannot accommodate, and some mods have shorter plugs so that can be a problem.

Some tanks have adjustable pins that you can screw inwards or outwards.

Smok stuff is give and take, luck of the draw at times as quality can be iffy at times, and many end up with tanks that leak or don't work well for long, and many complain about their mods dying right after the warranty time expires. Personally I have a Smok Xcube2 that's probably one of the best mods they've ever made but even then, it's got a few pet peeves. It's a question that they have dropped quality for production numbers and Smok to me is now like Volkswagen cars... over-hyped by many, and while not bad per say, will break down and not worth repairing. Their tanks concentrates on being "big power" and selling as many cartridges as possible and making the people that do not build on decks (RTAs/RDAs) feel like they're part of the cloud chasing community. Most people that "loved" their beasts but gave RTAs a try tend to end up never looking back. The Smok stuff is by far the gear that most people sell/get rid of in the sell/trade groups I'm in, after they try just about anything else.

I've been considering a few Vaperasso mods, but I keep holding my finger back on the "buy". Instead I went with a Smoant Cylon for the last mod I got and have no regrets.

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
Yea and get a backup, even the best mods can break. Leaving you with nothing but the cigarettes to hold you over until you can get something new.

Also vapecrawler dot com is a good site to check prices on a specific product over multiple sites. Very helpful site as is vaping mega list dot com. Always look for coupon codes. China sites can offer great prices if you have 3-6 weeks to wait. Fasttech and 3fvape are the two China sites that I trust. If they say a product is authentic, it is. If it says “style” it’s a clone. Get batteries from imr batteries or orbtronic avoid amazon and eBay. You don’t want fake batteries. Lg, Sony, and Samsung make some of the best batteries. Get a good charger, Xtar is my favorite. Read up on batteries and learn how to charge/discharge them to stay safe and avoid burning down your house.
I know you didn’t ask and you may already know these things but I got on a roll so I thought I’d list some important things when starting to vape. I’m sure there are more but that’s all I got right now. If you have questions don’t be afraid to ask, everyone is very helpful and we were all rookies at one time. Good luck and enjoy the wonderful world of vaping and this forum full of like minded individuals. Oh and don’t talk about drugs, it’s frowned upon.:shock:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
It's true that most tanks will "fit" or connect to just about any battery device or mod as they use the same "510" standard connector.

Something you might want to investigate is whether the mod's power delivery (wattage) will be enough to fire the coils that the tank may use. Coils will have a recommended power range which most manufacturers or vendors should list on their product specification page.

For example, your tank's coils may have a recommended wattage range of 80 - 120 watts. Well, if your mod's top wattage is 60 watts, you won't be able to use those coils effectively.

I'll give another +1 to the original Uwell Crown tank. :thumb: It has four coil options for just about any mod available from 10 watts to 120 watts. Air control options for a mouth-to-lung to a direct-to-lung vaper. Easy top fill.
  • 0.15 ohm Dual Ni200 Nickel Uwell Crown Sub-Ohm Coil - 400 to 600 Degrees Fahrenheit (temp control mode)
  • 0.25 ohm Dual Stainless Steel Uwell Crown Sub-Ohm Coil - 80 to 120W (wattage mode)
  • 0.5 ohm Dual Stainless Steel Uwell Crown Sub-Ohm Coil - 30 to 80W (wattage mode)
  • 1.2 ohm Single Stainless Steel Uwell Crown Coil - 10 to 30W (wattage mode)
upload_2018-4-18_15-12-32-jpeg.736925

Original Uwell Crown Clearomizer Tank

Last edited:

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Might like to read:
https://vapebeat.com/vape-reviews/smok-tfv12-prince-release-date-specs-v12-coils-best-price
Could fill in your location, it may help you in obtaining location specific information to your question(s).
On the top right hand corner of this post you will find --"your name" next to "Inbox and Alerts"
Place the mouse pointer on your name. You will get a drop down and on the left hand side of this drop down you will find "Personal Details". Click Personal Details.
In Personal Details, in middle of screen in gray, you will find "Location" Could fill that box line in.
re: New users - Put your location in your Profile...

Budgie

ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2018
Scotland
I have 2 Smok TFV12 Prince Tanks, 1 with a rba deck and the other 1 using Q4 coils, I like them both, and had no problems with leaks on either of them. I will get another rba deck as I prefer to make my own coils. I can’t comment on the Smok Mag, as I don’t have one, but use the Princes on a Smok Alien and an X Priv.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I have a revenger and I like it. Battery life not super stellar unless you get rid of some of that background stuff. I don't because I use tiny MTL tanks on my box mods usually, and I'm not vaping high wattage. But that combination should be fine, given the vaping preferences you have you might even enjoy the revenger kit. I got a kit and I did no much care for the tank, but I don't hate it enough to give it away, either.

Pretty much, you want a mod with enough power to support your fairly low resistance coils. You wouldn't have a problem with that mod. At all.

Anna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread