Using carto-tanks with the Icon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

monarch79

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 15, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Hi everybody! I'm new to the PureSmoker sub-forum, as I just bought my first PS device... :cool:

I've used: Volcano, Magma, Inferno, boxmods, GLV2 SM, Lavatube, Bolt, BB... I've been analog free for two years (in two weeks) so I've been around the block a couple times, but I wanted a pocket friendly 14500 device that looks slick and could crush an eGo with one fatal blow... The search lead me to the PS Icon!

The only thing that kept me from ordering the Icon sooner (before the BB) was that I am a carto-tank user, and I heard that the Icon doesn't work with tanks without a 510 extender because of the moat... Are there any Icon/tank users out there that could give me some advice? Should I look around for somebody with an older style 'moat-less' 510 adapter, or should I just use the 510 extender? How much of a gap will it put between the tank and the tip of the Icon?

I do love my carto-tanks, I have a few polished aluminum 4ml tanks that should look hot on the Icon, so I would like to have a streamlined solution to the 'moat problem'...

Tanks for the advice, and I look forward to unwrapping my new Icon!

It would be sweet if PS would sell some 4ml aluminum tanks, and adapters for the Prodigy/Icon to make it seamless... The adapter being switchable should warrant more options... Take advantage of that great design!

milo hobo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2011
Lake Charles La
I use the icon and the moat does get in the way. I have a 510 to 510 shorty adapter but it stil doesn't raise it high enough for me to fit my drip shield. I would suggest trying to find the old adapter.

I like the idea of utilizing different adapter options. Might make a built in tank option possible!

monarch79

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 15, 2011
Portland, Oregon
All they would really have to do is offer a cap with a higher center pin, if they didn't want to make a new (old style) cap casing...

For now, I'm using a shorty 510 extender, and this ....... is kicking out the clouds! However, it's rocking so hard, that I just went through a 600mah IMR in two hours... I should probably slow down... :laugh:

MrJonesJr

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
It looks and works awesome with a slim smoketech 3.5ml tank. I use the 1.7 resurrector cartos in them without an adapter.

Photo1 (2).jpg

monarch79

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 15, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Nice, exactly what I'm going for! Thanks for the pic MrJones!

It's convenient that these Smok tanks are a little short, so we can just scoot em up a bit to compensate for the moat... Is that a zip-tip on there?

I had to give up the pre-punched cartos and pick some up to punch myself in order to make it work... I bought the pre-punched ones when I got sick of the ol hammer-n-nail routine, but now that I have to punch my own again, I splurged on the COV carto-puncher! I hope it's worth it...

monarch79

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 15, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Morning Steve, yup these things are pretty convenient! :2cool:

One thing to take into consideration when you're designing your tank for the V4, is the tolerances you're going to build-in to the tank for different cartos... For example...

I was going to start punching my cartos again so I could get the tanks to work with my Icon, but these Smok tanks are machined to EXACT specs. They will only take absolutely perfect cartos! I bought one of those fancy carto-punchers from COV, and it turns out that the microscopic amount they push the cartos out-of-round prevents them from fitting in the tanks! I remember when I was using the Liquinator and Cartomator tanks that I could punch my cartos with the sloppy hammer/nail technique and they would still fit, but even with this fancy carto-puncher they won't fit in the Smok tanks! So you're going to have to decide when you're designing these tanks for the V4, whether you want a nice snug fit like the Smok tanks (and limit the user to pre-punched cartos) or go for a slightly looser fit (so people can punch their own)... And I hope you make a (6ml?) tank that matches the diameter of the V4, AND a tank in the slim size (3.5ml) since a lot of people just prefer the smaller tank even on larger mods. I use the 3.5ml tank on everything... The Bolt, Lavatube, Icon, they all look better with the slim tank IMO.

I'm a big fan of the Smok pre-punched cartos, they're much better now that they have a 1.8mm hole, but that damn flange! :facepalm:

I hope that Icon adapter comes today, thanks again for that!
:toast:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread