Using RCA Connectors For Most Protruding Atomizers

Status
Not open for further replies.

dedmonwakin

ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2009
Destin,FL.
I'm pretty fed up looking around and cutting up working and non-working e-cig components for modding with RN4081. I decided to try to see if I could find something that not only fit the threading of the atty, but my M402 atty as well. Of course that would be impossible....but not anymore!

Image6.jpg

Image5.jpg

This fits snug onto my RN4081, 510 and M401/m402 atomizers with minimal adjustments(M401/M402 is inner threaded, but the diameter of the atty is small enough to fit within the blades and the brass band makes a perfect contact). Threading is no longer required and tightness can be adjusted as seen fit.

All that you have to do is cut the molding off of the RCA connector with a razor.

Cut a portion of the plastic in the back of the connector to expose the back side of the rod within it. Once this is done, the center rod(positive) should now be adjustable. It can be pushed up or down (but takes a little effort since it's a tight fit) so use adjustable pliers to ease the process

Bend the upper portion(negative) with needle nose pliers at the very tip to allow for easy push on with little resistance and to reduce destruction of the threading in case you want to preserve it.

After this is done, you should have something that resembles a rose.

Now, with out the atty in there, bend the panels gently to fit your desired atty bit by bit!! Again, I've done this 4 times with 4 different RCA connectors, so it should be snug but not gawd awful tight.

Once you have the desired fit, push the center rod up with the atty in it so that it makes proper contact. Again, the center rod is tightly fitted, so it isn't going anywhere once in place.

There you go! Hope some of you find this useful as much as I have!

EDIT:

M401/M402 attomizers.

Works best if the atomizer is stripped of paint(basically a stainless/brass atty)

Last edited:

dedmonwakin

ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2009
Destin,FL.
Great! I hope someone finds a way to improve on this as well! I'm kind of wondering, with strategic bending of the outer blades, if it could be used to thread into 901's and other inner threaded atty's, making this a universal fitting. Going to try this although, I think it would be too much effort since nico has a better option.

kinabaloo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Great! I hope someone finds a way to improve on this as well! I'm kind of wondering, with strategic bending of the outer blades, if it could be used to thread into 901's and other inner threaded atty's, making this a universal fitting. Going to try this although, I think it would be too much effort since nico has a better option.

But it seems good for the attys that you mention - that's the important thing :)

Shadowdr

ECF Veteran
Apr 11, 2009
Nashville Tn.
I have a dse 103 and have purchased some RN 4081 attys and I have used metal tire valve extenders for mmy USB passthrough and Maglite Mini mod.. Just a thought..
I used a combination of the two, a valve stem cover for the threads and an RCA connector inside a peice of plastic tubing for the center pole. I have been thinking of spring loading the RCA jack center inside the tubing in future builds because center depth seems to vary between attys.

dedmonwakin

ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2009
Destin,FL.
I'm going to order these to try out. These look like they would do the trick for the 401....if not, I'm sure they will come in handy to repair all the RCA wires I've destroyed.

Anyhow, locking RCA's are pretty cool, especially these particular ones that aren't like typical locking RCA's. The outer case has to be twisted to tighten the shielding inwards which means I can unlock it too, unlike the push lock which is a pain to unlock if not permanent sometimes depending on the type. All I can say is I'll give it a try.
http://cgi.ebay.com/2-New-NAKAMICHI-Audio-Locking-RCA-Plug--24K-Gold-038562_W0QQitemZ350107701392QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited:

blackopz

ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2009
Wisconsin
I'm going to order these to try out. These look like they would do the trick for the 401....if not, I'm sure they will come in handy to repair all the RCA wires I've destroyed.

Anyhow, locking RCA's are pretty cool, especially these particular ones that aren't like typical locking RCA's. The outer case has to be twisted to tighten the shielding inwards which means I can unlock it too, unlike the push lock which is a pain to unlock if not permanent sometimes depending on the type. All I can say is I'll give it a try.
2 New NAKAMICHI Audio Locking RCA Plug 24K Gold 038562 - eBay (item 350107701392 end time Jun-06-09 08:33:56 PDT)
Excellent.. this is whatg I have looking for. Right now all I is solid wire that I've had to re do a couple of times already.. Thank you!

Adeem

ECF Veteran
May 20, 2009
Hi, I'm new to all this but I would really love to try making a m401 usb passthrough with manual switch using the rca plug. I already wrecked a weak battery trying to pry the connector off and I'd rather not wreck another. I tried cutting open a rca plug but couldn't get at the back, that plastic (under the rubber) was real stubborn. Also the band (negative) part was a full round not split. What I'm really looking for is some step by step help i.e. "USB PT for Dummies", including what plug to look for exactly, how to get at it, how to mount it on some kind of tube, how to wire it to a switch ... If anyone can point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it.

need_2quit

ECF Veteran
Apr 5, 2009
usa
What I'm really looking for is some step by step help i.e. "USB PT for Dummies", including what plug to look for exactly, how to get at it, how to mount it on some kind of tube, how to wire it to a switch ... If anyone can point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it.

ooh me too. bigtime. pictorial and radio shack parts list would be great.

i'm sick of these batteries wearing out tshooting the 401. LOTS of wasted juice and the battery life is so short from it malfunctioning (little vapor) that i can't even keep 4 batteries charged up in rotation. I'd need to buy another charger to keep up, and frankly, I'm so unimpressed with this model that i won't buy another thing for it.

Paradiso

ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2009
MA - USA
I found that the 401 atty was a little finicky with the RCA plug, I had to keep messing with it to get good contact. After a little experimenting it was clear that when I pushed the atty in, it would push the center post down. I'd have to open the passthrough and push the post back up.
I cut down the spring from a clicky pen and pushed that over the center post - problem solved. Right now the spring is just sitting over the post, I'll put a drop of solder on it tonight to ensure good contact and keep it from flying off when I remove the atty.
This is a great solution for 401s as the only other solution up till now was to tear apart a battery.

Thanks again for the idea.

twrodd

ECF Veteran
Jan 8, 2009
south ga
yall may want to look at a tv coaxial cable you can use one with slip on ends or just get the slip on adapter . I use them for 901 510 vk carts you can use with male or female no screwing just push on pull off . can allso get the one for transformer 2 wire to coaxial then you already have a place to connect wire play with it works 4 me. i dont type well so hard to explain i talk more than i type good luck :thumb:

ImYourSalt

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jun 1, 2009
San Diego, CA
liberty-flights.com
just got my 510, and without a PT, i find myself standing by the charger, loathing that little red light...

I LOVE this idea! and have all kinds of cables lying around. I have 3 other outlets on my laptop, that I never use (not even sure what they are called), so why tie up another USB outlet? My only question is, does it matter which side is + (POS.) and which side is - (NEG.)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread