The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Using the m401 atty on a 510 battery

Discussion in 'M-401/402 "Mini" & M403 Super Mini' started by VaporMadness, Apr 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. VaporMadness

VaporMadness Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jan 26, 2010
    CA, USA
    The 510 battery runs at higher voltage than the 40x batteries. A 401 atty on a 510 battery vapes as if its on the 401 passthru. A noticeable boost in performance.

2. Stankia

Stankia Full Member ECF Veteran

Jul 21, 2009
    Where can I get the adapter?

3. VaporMadness

Jan 26, 2010
    CA, USA
    electrong-cigz has a small solid piece 510/401 adapter pictured on their website,
    Accessories
    i've ordered a pair of these (actually i didn't call to confirm that they are a small solid piece, i sure hope they are)

but right now i'm using a frankenstein setup 510/901 + 901/401 with the 901/401 adapter having a tube about .75 in long

[edit: I just check with them, Sean says they are one piece adapters.

Also, this is easily my fav vaping setup right now. Much more satisfying hits than with the 40x batts, very bright flavors, and really powers thru any cloggage that builds up after its been at rest for a while with VG liquid soaking into the atty... and turns it into a big plume of vapor.]

4. Ourei

Ourei Senior Member ECF Veteran

May 23, 2010
    Hawaii! Yay haha
    I have a 510, and I would like to know how the taste using a 401 atty on it compares to the taste using the standard 510 atty. Is it tastier? :D

I'm pondering getting a bunch of 401 attys/carts/adapters rather than buying a bunch of 510 attys this time around, as I would like to have a taste of it.

Thanks for any insight in advance, I'm waiting on payday (in a few days) before I order anything.

Happy vaping!

5. ramsey2toes

ramsey2toes Senior Member ECF Veteran

Feb 17, 2010
    Racine, WI
    I think the 401 has much more flavor than the 510.

6. Bjorn Toulouse

Bjorn Toulouse Super Member ECF Veteran

Feb 5, 2009
    Glasgow
    401 has much better taste value than the 510, not sure on the theory on the 510 battery though, I find them much of a muchness. The only advantage was the switch but you can get 401 manuals now.

looking forward to trying the 401 on the screwdriver...if my batteries ever get to me..4 weeks and still waiting.

7. Turbo

Turbo Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 23, 2009
    NC/USA
    I like the 401 for flavor too. For 510 users you might want to consider the 306 atty. It has the same threads as a 510 and an exposed atty like the 401. No need for an adapter:

[​IMG]

8. four2109

four2109 Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 9, 2009
    S. Indiana
    I got the 401-510 adapter from Heaven's gifts. Works great. The problem with the 401, aside from the small cart is that it breathes through the center hole, which made it difficult to use on mods. The adapter has a groove through the center connector and threads so it can breathe out the sides.

9. Slea

Slea Super Member ECF Veteran

Apr 12, 2009
    Tennessee, USA
    Huh. Any recommendations on where to get one? Anything stateside?

I actually love love love the 401, but I drip, so the 401 doesn't like me. After killing 3 batts in as many weeks, I had to switch to something sealed.

On the other hand, the exposed atty was so much easier to drip on!

10. YKruss

YKruss Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Apr 21, 2009
    Springfield, VA
    JOYE306 Atomizers

11. Slea

Apr 12, 2009
    Tennessee, USA
    Thanks!

This may manage to create the perfect ecig for me!

12. PapaJoe8

PapaJoe8 Super Member ECF Veteran

Jun 10, 2010
    Texas DFW Area
    I just stared a thread asking about doing the exact opposite. I wanted to try the 510 LR attys. Maybe the 401 batts run to low?
    Joe

13. schaedj

schaedj Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 2, 2009
    The 'Burgh
    The 401 batts work at around 3.2 V. Most mods run at 3.7 for a single batt mod. It's essentially the same vaping performance as using a LR atty on a 510. A lot more vapor than a standard 510. The big "downer" with the 401 is the cart size. It's a great atty for dipping, and I made a drip tip out of a broken passthrough which works really well. I can highly recommend the Bartleby as a battery mod. He'll make one as a 401 (most modders will, on request). The only problem with dripping on the 401 is that overdripping causes the juices to run right down through the atty (center hole) and into the battery mod. You can't plug the hole or there is no draw. I have two 401 Chucks (big and little) and a 401 Bartleby. They all work great. Don't try it on 5V. It pops in a half second.

14. PapaJoe8

Jun 10, 2010
    Texas DFW Area
    I think my 401 manuals are sealed? Not sure though.

To stay on topic I have heard the 401 attys do a better flavor. But maybe not better than the 510 Lrs?
    Joe

15. Turbo

Turbo Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 23, 2009
    NC/USA
    Nope, they're not sealed. Never could figure out why they didn't...

16. PapaJoe8

Jun 10, 2010
    Texas DFW Area
    Thanks Turbo. I wasn't sure. I don't have a clue why not ether. I even think I read somewhere around here that they were. Maybe tha guys at Smoore don't know about drippers? Good to know tha truth.
    Joe

17. m401 user

m401 user Full Member ECF Veteran

Jul 29, 2009
    Not recommended. Will shorten lifespan of your battery.

However, i do use my 401 atty with eGo battery and i like it so much, that i use it more that 510 atty! This setup keeps full flavor of 401, has an advantage of slightly higher voltage of eGo, longer cutoff time (10sec IIRC) for nice loooong drags, and removes worst 401 design flaw: leakage through airhole into battery. In fact, it still sometimes leaks, but the liquid comes out through adapter holes, and if leaks through adapter down to the battery, no big deal, its sealed. eGo battery w/ adapter is a big improvement for my 401:toast:
    Don´t get me wrong, i still like that 510 atty too, but it´s LR so i keep it moist (read: flooded) so it´s more hassle than 401 atty yet.

18. VaporMadness

Jan 26, 2010
    CA, USA
    Yup... they like a little extra power... but not too much extra power. I think a full 3.7v power source of a big battery MOD is too much for the M401. The 3.1v (Joye/eGo510) to 3.4v (SLB 510Clone) range works well for them. For comparison, all of my 40x batts read 2.9v unloaded on a multi-meter, and the 401 passthru provides about 3.2v.

19. Slea

Apr 12, 2009
    Tennessee, USA
    Nope, there are not, as mentioned any sealed m401s.

The problem, as I understand it, has to do with the atty construction of the 401.

Most atomizers have a hole on the side for air draw, but a 401 does not. A 401 depends on the battery hold for air draw. Block it and it is like sucking on a straw in a thick milkshake.

Hence why I like the 401-style exposed atty with the (sealed) 510. I still like the 401's shape and feel better, but I was tired of killing batteries as a dripper.

20. PapaJoe8

Jun 10, 2010
    Texas DFW Area
    My Smoore 40x attys all have 4 slits for air. I sometimes cover some of them for a stronger vape.

There is another thread about what batt might work best on a 401. Someone there said the Ego killed the flavor. Someone else said the slb510 clone might work best cause it runs a bit hotter than a reg Joy510. What about the mega 510 batt?
    Joe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.