Using vape flavoring in food.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

James A

May 23, 2018
Hi all.... new here :)
Can't find an answer on google, everything refers to using food flavoring in vape juice.
What I'm wondering, I make diy ejuice abd I have 300 odd flavors. I also make beef jerky by dehydrating after marinating..... bet you know where this is going, but can I use ejuice flavoring in cooking? Specifically to use in my marinade.... (mango, blueberry, pineapple maple, etc etc) not sure if I should use pg based or vg based but everywhere I have seen it talks about the flavours are essentially food grade (just stronger).
What are people's thoughts on using it with a marinade?? (Obviously you drain off access and then dehydrate)

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
We use the same flavors that candy makers and bakers use. Many use their diy flavors in water and coffee beverages too. As far as dehydration goes I don't know. You could message a flavor vendor and probably get an answer. @IDJoel maybe can help.

Welcome to ECF James.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
@IDJoel maybe can help.
I have never heard of concentrates being used in conjunction with dehydration; but that means absolutely nothing.:D

I am in the same boat as @Letitia; we share the understanding, that the flavor concentrates we use for DIY, are fine for ingestion (food & beverage). So, as far as that goes, I see know reason why they couldn't be used in a marinade.

Now... whether the resulting taste is pleasing, that is a whole different matter... and I have no clue what the answer might be. I would hedge my bet, by offering the same advice we offer to those just beginning to DIY: Start with small test batches, using low percentages of concentrate(s), and let your palate direct your adjustments.:)

I would love to hear the outcome; if the experiment is performed. :D

NatashaTMT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2018
Nashville, TN
Welcome to ECF @James A :thumbs:

I would hedge my bet, by offering the same advice we offer to those just beginning to DIY: Start with small test batches, using low percentages of concentrate(s), and let your palate direct your adjustments.:)

I would love to hear the outcome; if the experiment is performed. :D
You took my answer but happy you did:thumb:

I’m curious as to how this will come out, as I have some I can’t use in mixing. I’d planed to have a candy making day for birthdays coming up. I’ve recently wondered if I could use a LA lime oil mix to brush chicken, etc, while grilling, etc.

Last edited:

rob33

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2009
A World Traveler
I've made bbq sauce using oak and brown sugar flavors wasn't to bad for being 50 miles from nowhere. I would think the wood, and nut flavors along with some sweeteners and bourbon would work better than natural flavorings. Don't forget about the cost savings also. A smoky bourbon jerky sounds good. Let us know what you come up with.

I like the old school cowboy jerky, tough as shoe leather and just draw on the juice, not much on the tender city jerky.

Last edited:

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
Can’t remember who it was, but someone was recently talking about using flavors in snow cones or slushies.

It’s just going to be a matter of figuring what flavor and how much.

I posted a couple weeks ago about using them to make flavored simple syrup for shaved ice. All of the 8 flavorings I tried as small samples weren't pleasing to the taste used for that purpose. But LA Bubble Gum, TFA Peach, a combo of TFA Strawberry Ripe + CAP Sweet Strawberry, OSDIY OSF Blue Raspberry Slush, and OSDIY OSF Margarita were definitely winners for shaved ice flavorings!

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Can’t remember who it was, but someone was recently talking about using flavors in snow cones or slushies.

It’s just going to be a matter of figuring what flavor and how much.
@FranC I believe.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
Yes, you can use them in foods. I've even used them to help me get through 4 rounds of "prep" during my time with cancer.

I need to remember that. My last prep had me gagging, which is odd because it was pharma cherry and my ADV is Cherry Cough Syrup playing off the fact that most cherry flavorings are not good renditions of the fruit, so I put it with horehound and anise. Adding horehound and anise to the prep couldn't have made it any worse.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Hi all.... new here :)
Can't find an answer on google, everything refers to using food flavoring in vape juice.
What I'm wondering, I make diy ejuice abd I have 300 odd flavors. I also make beef jerky by dehydrating after marinating..... bet you know where this is going, but can I use ejuice flavoring in cooking? Specifically to use in my marinade.... (mango, blueberry, pineapple maple, etc etc) not sure if I should use pg based or vg based but everywhere I have seen it talks about the flavours are essentially food grade (just stronger).
What are people's thoughts on using it with a marinade?? (Obviously you drain off access and then dehydrate)
Welcome and glad you joined.
Might want to Google: " CakeCentral Water Soluble Vs. Oil Soluble Extracts? "

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
I got some marzipan flavoring. I love marzipan. It smelled wonderful in the bottle but it didn't have any marzipan taste at all when I vaped it. I put some in yoghurt and it was great.

I'm guessing there's a general truth in there. They are all created for use in food. Some flavorings will work for vaping and some won't. Maybe some that are good for vaping won't work well in food. Hopefully vendors who sell flavors for vaping will have figured out which ones work for us.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
I used the flavorings before I ever picked up vaping because I do a bit of baking.

The flavors work beautifully in all manner of baking; from spiking your coffee to a flavor boost to cakes, fondant and more. VG is also often used in baking as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread