• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

USPS Regs on shipping lithium batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.

PVPuff&Stuff

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 27, 2009
Bishop, California, United States
Just curious how this is being handled in overseas ports. We've declined to ship anything containing lithium cells to overseas APO/FPO addresses since the new regulations went into effect for the USPS.

How are you guys getting your stuff? Still being sent through the standard postal service or are you having family send them out in Fed Ex packages now? If they go out USPS, are they being stopped? Does your command care about this issue?

I hate that I've got to decline the orders for them, but I don't see many options. The USPS says the rule will be more clearly defined soon. They're worried about bulk transport, not one or two batteries.

If you're using a method that shouldn't be posted publicly, feel free to PM or email me.

Rader2146

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 11, 2012
Waco, TX
I don't see the command getting involved in incoming postal violations for lithium batteries. Unless the item being received would be considered contraband (ie: alcohol) then they have no reason to be involved. Most operating units have hundreds of CR123s stockpiled for flashlights, lasers, optics, or other various accessories. To a non-vaper it's just another flashlight battery. In the case of an eGo style or mini style battery, the average non-vaper won't have a clue that it is even a battery until you explain it to them.

This regulation came in effect after I left Afghanistan so I can't speak to many of you other questions. Only to typical command involvement. The general consensus is that as long as everyone is getting their mail, nobody really cares what's in it. Contraband being the exception.

PVPuff&Stuff

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 27, 2009
Thanks for the input Rader, yeah I can't see the commands getting involved either...but you never know. Most of the decisions made were well over my paygrade, so they regularly confused me. The total ban they have right now is obviously because they didn't know what to do. Stop all of it until they decide. Wish they'd decide already.

Really? You guys have access to CRs in stock? That's pretty sweet. I'm more than happy to pay the taxes for that. ;)

Rader2146

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 11, 2012
Waco, TX
Most of the decisions made were well over my paygrade, so they regularly confused me.
Lol, yeah it's pretty much the same anywhere you go. If I had a dollar for ever time I said "hey Sir, how bout we do this instead?"...

123s have pretty much become the standard. I had 10 123s with me whenever we went somewhere. 5 total in the devices and and 5 as a backup set.

PVPuff&Stuff

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 27, 2009
Reading through the paperwork and there may be a way. The USPS rep I spoke with said it was a blanket ban. Reading the actual regulations may suggest otherwise.

Copied out of a post from Stars & Stripes

349.221 Primary Lithium (Non-Rechargeable) Cells and Batteries
Primary lithium (non-rechargeable) cells and batteries are mailable via air or surface transportation when the cells or batteries are properly packed with or properly installed in the equipment they operate and the mailpiece has no more than the number of cells or batteries needed to operate the device. All primary lithium cells and batteries must be mailed within a firmly sealed package separated and cushioned to prevent short circuit, movement, or damage. Except for batteries installed in equipment, they must be in a strong outer package. All outer packages must have a complete delivery and return address. Each cell must contain no more than 1.0 gram (g) of lithium content per cell. Each battery must contain no more than 2.0 g aggregate lithium content per battery. Additionally, each cell or battery must meet the requirements of each test in the UN Manual of Tests and Criteria, Part III, and subsection 38.3 as referenced in DOT’s hazardous materials regulation at49 CFR 171.7. Cells or batteries must be properly installed in the device they operate and must be protected from damage and short circuit. The outside of the package must be marked on the address side “Package Contains Primary Lithium Batteries.” These mailpieces must not exceed 11 pounds. Primary lithium cells and batteries are mailable via surface transportation when the cells or batteries (not packed with or installed in equipment) are in the originally sealed packaging. The outside of the package must be marked on the address side “Surface Mail Only, Primary Lithium Batteries — Forbidden for Transportation Aboard Passenger Aircraft.” These mailpieces must not exceed 5 pounds.
For lithium cells and batteries, the general packaging requirements in DMM 601.1–10 apply.
349.222 Secondary Lithium-ion (Rechargeable) Cells and Batteries
Secondary lithium-ion (rechargeable) cells and batteries are mailable via air or surface transportation when individual cells or batteries are mailed or when properly packed with or properly installed in the equipment they operate. Cells or batteries properly installed in the device they operate must be protected from damage and short circuit, and the device must be equipped with an effective means of preventing accidental activation. The outside of the package must be marked on the address side “Package Contains Lithium-ion Batteries (no lithium metal).” The mailpiece must not contain more than three batteries. Each cell must contain no more than 1.5 g of equivalent lithium content per cell, and each battery must contain no more than 8.0 g aggregate quantity of equivalent lithium content.
For lithium-ion cells and batteries, the general packaging requirements in DMM 601.1–10 apply.

Seems like we fit those guidelines.....I'm going to do a little bit more research. If the commands don't care, and we seem to fit.....I see no reason to continue with the stoppage.

They're looking for people shipping a brick of cell phone batteries. Not a pair of eGo batts.

(Any additional input into this would be very welcome)

HawkeyeFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 2, 2012
Clermont, FL
Lol, yeah it's pretty much the same anywhere you go. If I had a dollar for ever time I said "hey Sir, how bout we do this instead?"...

I'm the son of a retired USAF CMSgt, and I got a really good chuckle at this line. Dad retired back in 88, back in the days when there weren't nearly as many CMSgt/E-9 as there are today. Good times, good times. :)

PVPuff&Stuff

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 27, 2009
They've had long enough to clarify their regulations. Based on conversations with USPS employees and a healthy dollop of common sense...

It's meant for major shippers of lithium cells. Crates of car batteries, cases of cell phone battery knock-offs.... This regulation cannot possibly be meant for people that order one device. Adjusting attitude accordingly...as you were. ;)

lorikay13

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 13, 2009
Oregon
www.smokestik.com
Yes.....I'm afraid it really is. We have been told by the post office that services our warehouse....."don't even think about trying it because we know who you are".......that's for EMI Express International......BUT...I have a letter that I will dig up and post here that is from a USPS official stating an exception. Feel free to print it and include it in any packages you are worried about that are going to addresses in the lower 48. I have seen Amazon is putting huge stickers on their packages....but the USPS says that is not needed for domestic mail. Also we have a warehouse in the Netherlands and they are reporting major hassles just mailing within Europe so it isn't just the USPS. Here;s the letter.........

Connally, John T - Burlington, NC
Sent: Monday, July 02,20122:39 PM
To: Connally, John T - Burlington, NC
Subject: Batteries
MEDIA STATEMENT ON OUT OUND INTERNATIONAL MAILING OF LITHIUM
BATTERIES
REACTIVE NLY - FOR IMMEDIATE USE
Until January 2013, the Postal Service will not be able to accept packages containing lithium batteries and
electronic devices containing lithium batteries addressed to international destinations. This includes mail destined
to, or from, APO (Army Post Office), FPO (FI et Post Office) and DPO (Diplomatic Post Office) locations.
This change is required by the standards of t e International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) and the Universal
Postal Union (UPU), both of which currently prohibit lithium batteries in mail shipments that are carried on
international commercial air transportation.
This change will not apply to packages containing lithium batteries and electronic devices containing lithium
batteries when mailed within the United Stat s on domestic commercial air or ground dransportation.
International organizations apply differemt rules to the carriage of lithium batteries in bil shipments carried on
commercial aircraft as compared to domestic requirements.
We anticipate that by January 2013, international aviation rules will be changed to allow mailing of lithium
batteries when installed in the personal electronic devices they are intended to operate.
USPS is working with expert organizations to determine if any new exceptions can be developed prior to January
2013. Further announcements will be made should USPS be able to accept lithium batteries in certain types of
mail shipments as soon as any new options ecome available.
We appreciate our customers' business. We recognize this change will pose an inconvenience to our customers
and we look forward to continuing to be their international shipping partner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread