uwell crown stainless steel coils in temp + coil life question

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomitom12

ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2014
marina, california
I have a uwell crown tank that i've been using on a evic vtc mini. Love it works great. But i noticed that the stainless steel coils aren't getting good life in temp. Also when i try to run them in normal power they get all burnt tasting. Now i do get that the variances between temp and power has changed so it means more power going through the coil so on so forth. But in temp to burn up? My ni200 coil is doing the same a bit, but that's a case of running to hot and my room temp is colder than S@#$. The uwell uses d grade 316 stainless steel wire. Uwell themselves say to run their coils in normal power mode and use the nickel coil for temp. I was wondering if anyone else experienced any similarities. I've been told to get the rba section and use 28 or 30 gauge 311L wire. But i'm not to sure. Anywho if you own a uwell how long are ya getting the coils to last. The most i've heard is a month but i'm just wondering. Any and all info greatly appreciated.
Thanks all

happytree

Nov 19, 2015
I have the exact same build as you. IPV D2 Version 2 with the uwell crown. I haven't used the stock coils yet cause I immediately bought the rba section and am saving the stock coils for when I really need it (vacation, long trips, etc.) From what I've seen from reviews, the stock coil lasts quite a while, especially if you aren't vaping at high wattages. But the problem with that is the stock coil NEEDS high wattages to get the best flavor out from them. The D2 only goes up to 75 watts, which is kind of the minimum requirement for the Ni200 0.25 ohm coils for a great vape (according to reviewers). I use the RBA section, strictly using kanthal for now. Ni200 and titanium builds are not my thing yet simply because I have so much kanthal wire at home and I don't want to buy new ones. The stainless steel coil I literally just used on the RBA section was not great. The battery life drained significantly, even when using TC mode (titanium mode, 200 celcius, 20-25 joules). The coil lasted about 2 tanks before it started looking rusty and i decided to go back to kanthal power mode. First time i tried the RBA section was with the built in stainless steel coil at power mode and it had a funky taste. I do suggest using the RBA section, its not that expensive. Coiling wise, because the deck is considerably small, i would typically go with a 26g kanthal with a 2.4/2.5mm diameter coil, 5-7 wraps depending on your taste. Using the 28/30g wire will definitely get you above 1 ohm with 5 or 6 wraps. I like to vape mine at 20-25 watts, so i stick with 0.7-0.9 ohm range which needs the 26g. Wicking is not complicated, don't need to use the S-shaped wick, or whatever wicking method out there. Simply pull it through the chimney, cut it off right at the chimney, and stuff it down with a piece of your wire (using tweezers will condense the wick a bit, so the wicking won't be as efficient, leading to dry hits). Make sure it covers the juice holes, push it back a bit with tweezers or the wire to ensure juices can flow in. Been vaping on the crown RBA section for over a month, i found that this is the best build for me. No dry hits, no burnt taste.

tomitom12

ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2014
marina, california
I have the exact same build as you. IPV D2 Version 2 with the uwell crown. I haven't used the stock coils yet cause I immediately bought the rba section and am saving the stock coils for when I really need it (vacation, long trips, etc.) From what I've seen from reviews, the stock coil lasts quite a while, especially if you aren't vaping at high wattages. But the problem with that is the stock coil NEEDS high wattages to get the best flavor out from them. The D2 only goes up to 75 watts, which is kind of the minimum requirement for the Ni200 0.25 ohm coils for a great vape (according to reviewers). I use the RBA section, strictly using kanthal for now. Ni200 and titanium builds are not my thing yet simply because I have so much kanthal wire at home and I don't want to buy new ones. The stainless steel coil I literally just used on the RBA section was not great. The battery life drained significantly, even when using TC mode (titanium mode, 200 celcius, 20-25 joules). The coil lasted about 2 tanks before it started looking rusty and i decided to go back to kanthal power mode. First time i tried the RBA section was with the built in stainless steel coil at power mode and it had a funky taste. I do suggest using the RBA section, its not that expensive. Coiling wise, because the deck is considerably small, i would typically go with a 26g kanthal with a 2.4/2.5mm diameter coil, 5-7 wraps depending on your taste. Using the 28/30g wire will definitely get you above 1 ohm with 5 or 6 wraps. I like to vape mine at 20-25 watts, so i stick with 0.7-0.9 ohm range which needs the 26g. Wicking is not complicated, don't need to use the S-shaped wick, or whatever wicking method out there. Simply pull it through the chimney, cut it off right at the chimney, and stuff it down with a piece of your wire (using tweezers will condense the wick a bit, so the wicking won't be as efficient, leading to dry hits). Make sure it covers the juice holes, push it back a bit with tweezers or the wire to ensure juices can flow in. Been vaping on the crown RBA section for over a month, i found that this is the best build for me. No dry hits, no burnt taste.
i'm useing the stock coils currently. What i've been doing with them is when they get funky flavored or no flavor at all and sizzle i've been pulling them out and letting them dry out for a couple of days, then reprime and they seem to work well. My coils look fine so i'm assuming it the change in blends that may be the trickster. i tend to vape 50/50, 60/40 and 70/30 blends so i'm not to sure. Yes i have ran kinda high in wattage both temp and power mode, but with temp i noticed if i run in celsius at 300 degrees is nice, doesn't have a lot of ramp up time and when it hits 300 it's a nice vape. Currently running the ni200 .15 coil at 62.5 watts at 305 celsius otherwise i found most and all stock coils tend to run at 500 degrees fahrenheit for a decent hit. But it ramp's up quick and pulls back to desired temp. Which to me puts a lot of wear on the coils. Now for normal power if i keep her at 45.5 to oh 55 watts she's ok sometimes get a dry hit but for the most part not to bad. I want the rba section so i can try out some things. A Lot of people told me to get L grade SS, so i want to try that. I also want to try my hand at nickel builds. From what i seen you got to space that right, and i want to try out titanium. Plus building is cheaper flat out. I guess ya can say i want the full temp experience and someone who wants an affordable vape.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread