V4L ecig burns me while in Pocket!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brew

ECF Veteran
Jan 19, 2010
WA
Last night I had just brought my dog home from the vet and when sitting down to keep him still put my ecig into the coin pocket of my jeans as usual.

A couple minutes later the heat was excruciating causing me to scream for my wife to come get the dog from me and that I was on fire.In the mean time I managed to grab it and throw it up to a wooden table top. The palm of my hand got branded pretty good, and there is a spot about the size of a small orange seed bubbled up thats burned all the way to the flesh. My wife grabbed the cold end and threw it out on the lawn.:-x

Cause: The battery came on, and stayed on for at least 1.5 minutes until moved outside and hitting the ground pretty hard.

This was the short Batt that came in the PCC and was a proven performer that gave no indications anything was wrong. It just cooked off on its own. The size is in between the shorties and a standard one (my favorite batt too:( )

Now I'm pretty depressed. My wife says they are not safe and I can't put a carto on in the house unless removing it right after using. Not allowed to charge them without being there when its done. Those are the new safety rules at least.

At any rate, If you have that specific size length of Batt, keep a close eye on it.

Last edited:

leaford

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 1, 2008
Shenzhen, Guangdong, China
:shock: Wow! I don't know what to say except I am really really sorry that happened. Obviously it was a stuck auto switch, and the cutoff must have also malfunctioned. We will gladly replace it, of course. And if you wouldn't mind returning it, I'll ask Steve to send it here to me to have our manufacturer diagnose the failure and try to prevent this happening again.

unkuser

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2009
New Yawk
Is that an automatic battery? It looks that way, I have had issue with almost every automatic batteries in the past. (401, 510, 910). They all had a microphone/sensor to detect air draw which causes them to activated.

I remember one occasion I had the 401 inside a case, and for some reason the subway noise would activated. I felt some heat in my pocket. Open the case and felt the heat coming through the atty.

This can also happen with manual batteries. DSE 905 ghost activation and KR808 V4L XL Manual batteries as well.

Symmetric

ECF Veteran
Jun 25, 2009
Dallas, GA, USA
I know you mentioned that there were coins in your pocket, it's a long shot, but was there anything magnetic in there as well? My phone has a magnetic part to hold the stylus on the side and it has activated the auto battery before (I don't know that it stayed on for very long, as I've always caught it). I hate that you had the perfect storm to have this happen, and I hope you're not injured.

Brandnew vper

ECF Veteran
Feb 1, 2010
BATAVIA, NY
I also noticed that there is something with the cut off. My manual batt button got stuck the second time i used it. No the button wasnt stuck..but the led was on and heating the carto. I unscrewed it cause it wouldnt stop i tried pressing the button and nothing. But nothing ever happened like that again with it. Charges fine works great. Nothing happened like that with my shortys either? I dunno maybe a bad couple batches in the manufactoring process???

Brew

ECF Veteran
Jan 19, 2010
WA
Its not a big deal at all. Just put the pics up in case anyone had that specific half size batt from the shorty PCC case they should keep an eye on it until the V4L folks have a chance to take this one apart and see whats up.

It was the watch/coin pocket on the jeans. Nothing metallic or magnetic in pockets.

Blank carto and 36mg juice.

Last edited:

sherid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 25, 2008
USA
Wow Brew! Kinda scary. This is the exact reason I switched to manuals....opened my purse a few times to find my automatic "lighting up" on its own. Scared the wits out of me. Hope you're okay, and that your wife calms down in a few days :wub:

The key is to recognize that this could happen and not keep an ecig in a place where it does. I recently had the same thing happen with my Janty EGO. I had it in my purse which I had apparently been leaning against. I felt something very hot and saw smoke. The battery had gotten depressed and stayed stuck...burned the atomizer, melted the cartridge around the edges and killed the battery. You can't carry them in a back pocket or in a purse where it might get leaned against. Luckily, Janty and Vapor4Life always stand by warranties and replace things even if it is your fault.

Adrenalynn

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 5, 2009
Sacramento, CA, USA Area
Thanks for posting good photos. There were enough clues in that failure that I've been able to reproduce it, or one that fails identically, in the lab. I'll work on writing up a failure-case today for V4L.

The magnet-induced-failure (which I've seen too, btw) is another substantial clue to how the cutoff fails.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread