Vamo battery drain help

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgreen

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 4, 2009
WI
So I just got my Vamo a few days ago and it seems my battery is draining rather quickly. I have brand new Obtronics/Panasonic 18650 2250 mah batteries and an Xtar Wp2 charger. I've been using a 2.5 ohm HH357 atomizer. I am using the variable wattage option at 8.5 watts with accurate mode. The batteries and vapor production seem to die off rather quickly, I would say the battery lasts about 4 - 6 hours with somewhat regular vaping. Not really sure what the problems could be or if this is just normal.. Can anyone provide and insight or do you suspect something is faulty.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Dieseler

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2011
Illinois
Dgreen i read this post this morning and used a fresh efest 18650 button top rated at 2000mah battery that was on my XTar Sp2 yesterday and came off at 4.2 volts.
I'm at 3.5v now and coming up to 5 hours its going to cut off any minute.
I make my mesh coils @ 1.9ohms and vape @ 8.5 watts

I also use the one efest 18350 batteries 800mah in the vamo as i like it better when its smaller in hand but with that battery im getting 2- 2 and 1/2 hours .
As a note im a heavy vaporer.

Would like to see a 18350 imr with much higher mah's.
I have also 1 battery called a ultrafire 18350 rated at 1200mah's that suppose to support up to 3.2 amp drain as im pulling out 2.1amps and that battery is no better than the 800mah efest for my vaping needs.
Ok the 18650 just cut out as i was typing this . ; ) total time 4 hours 40 minutes usage.

Perhaps tomorrow i will time a 18650 in my zmax also in RMS mode.

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA
That's why you have to take folks 'hours' of vaping with a grain of salt. It's basically worthless information. I've seen folks say they get over a day with a simple 14500 mod. I'd say 3 hours of decent vaping is pushing it.

Giving 'times' in liquid vaped can be more accurate, but then again many newer atties (RBAs and Gens) tend to really chew up the liquid. That said a person who vapes 2ml/day may get a day+ out of a charge, someone who vapes 4ml/day may not. FWIW most folks underestimate the amount of liquid vaped.

With that PV you got you are also boosting the volts over the battery's nominal 3.7V (about 4.6V in your case) so the battery needs to provide more amps than a simple Ohm's Law calculation would show, and to maintain a regulated output as the battery drains it's amp load will rise. There is also the efficiency of the booster that comes into play. You are probably losing about 10-15% there. Remember too that the battery isn't being drained completely, if you checked right after the PV quit it's probably at ~3.6-7V.

You could double check your charger with a meter. After the batteries are fully charged, let them rest a few hours and see where they are at. Anything over ~4.16V should be fine.

@ Dieseler
I have also 1 battery called a ultrafire 18350 rated at 1200mah's that suppose to support up to 3.2 amp drain as im pulling out 2.1amps and that battery is no better than the 800mah efest for my vaping needs.

Were did you get 3.2A? Going by the exaggerated 1200mAh anything over 2.5A is really pushing it.

im pulling out 2.1amps
How did you figure that?

Dieseler

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2011
Illinois
Willy im going by what i read about that particular battery orange UltraFire and its amp output but i cannot test it, glad though that i had bought only 1.
This a simple calculator Ohms and Joules Law Calculator that one inputs 2 known values such as watts and resistance values and it shows the rest.
As a note i go thru 10+ml a day of e-liquid useing several DID20 genesis i stopped counting at 10ml and do make my own e-liquid as its much less expensive .
Resistance has been pretty stable for me as i keep them kinda clean ie: sliding mesh wick out of coil and just a simple faucet rinse and before reinserting dry burning the naked coil some.
But i can see how some folks res will go higher depending on some factors such as cleaning etc.

Link to Ohms and Joules Law Calculator
http://thelocust.net/ohm/

Last edited:

RedMoxy69

ECF Veteran
Nov 4, 2012
Palm Springs, Florida
We have the same units/charger you do & my better half's having the same issue. We run at a LOT lower Wattage than you though. Also, we're using the flat topped Efests. I'm not having any problem, it seems to run stronger stacked. He's preferring 2 stacked 18350's, they're running well on those units, so will be ordering more of those shortly, we hope this helps, as we well know this can be frustrating!

RichardV

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 26, 2012
The Golden Isles of Georgia, USA
I don't have a Vamo yet, it's on the way. I do have the Panasonic 18650 2250 mah batteries and have noticed that I do not get as much vaping time with them compared to my SmokeTech 2200mah & my Efest 2000mah. I don't know what the problem is as I use the same equipment with all these batts.

RedMoxy69

ECF Veteran
Nov 4, 2012
Palm Springs, Florida
I meant to add ours are 2,000 mAh, sorry. Hmmm, I don't know either bacause people rave about those Panasonics, but good to know. CONGATS, just wait, you're gonna be over the moon w/the VAMO/DB-4, I know we are!!! We're now waiting for the 18650 eGo APV, we've heard good things about it, Santa Claus is comin' to town, tee he:facepalm:. I'm kind of surprised at the stacked 18350's we are using as they're only 800 mAh, but they perform so well, we will get more. From many, many threads over time, it seems different APV's prefer a certain battery over others of the same strength. I don't think it's as simple as one brand is the best for all anymore, IMO. Post back here please once your VAMO comes in, we'd like to hear what you think. BTW, look at WillyB. smackin down some wisdom & math too, THANK YOU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread