Vamo has been shipped....

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoadKillCrayon

Verified Member
Nov 17, 2012
California
but what do I do with it once it arrives? I have been using 3 KGO Rivas since last summer and wanted something a little different. In addition to the vamo I also purchased the following items from smoktek: iClear 30 compact, 2ohm innokin iClear 30 Dual Coil Clearomizer 2.0 ohm with 3 additional replacement heads. ST-Carto-3.2 - Black ST 510 Cartomizer - 3.2 ohm (5 pack). Set of Efest 18350 800mA button IMR's. Efest IMR18650 battery-2000-button Efest IMR18650 2000mAh 3.7V Rechargeable LiMn battery - button top. I opted to get the larger battery as well as the smaller ones so that I could use the smaller batteries stacked or in mini mode.

My question really is regarding the cartos and clearomizer. I don't know what the variable voltage and variable power settings do and where to set things at first to try these items out. I certainly do not want to burn things out right from the start.

Also.....I would like to know, when it all arrives, how long should I let it charge before using it?????

What is RMS and AVG voltage and which one should I be setting this thing at??????
Thank you in advance for any help you may be able to offer. The items have been shipped and should be here soon, so I really would like to be prepared and confident that I will at least have SOME idea of where to start off with the settings when it arrives.

As far as eliquid goes - I also ordered their "wildberry" smokejuice as well. It is 12mg but did not have a section to order specific PG/VG - so I am unsure about the percentages there. I usually use raspberry and pina colada from northwest vapors 50/50 PG/VG at 12%-and will be using that eliquid in this Vamo as well.

Satava

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 26, 2013
Cleveland, Ohio
Set it to RMS right away, the AVG mode can pop weak coils. I also suggest using watts over volts for power adjustment as the wattage settings stick between battery changes whereas the voltage resets to 3.0v after a battery change.

RMS is a properly calculated voltage setting wheras AVG is just a simple division.
In AVG mode, it'll say that a 4v output means 6v x 66% uptime which with simple math proves correct but in practice it doesn't work this way.
RMS mode is more complex and the output is more accurate.

Charge the batteries til' they're full then let them rest an hour off the charger before use. If your charger doesn't indicate a full charge, I'd get one that does. I personally use a Nitecore i2 and prefer it over the i4. It indicates full charge and doesn't need spacers for 350s.

Also I highly suggest NOT stacking your batteries. In most cases of catastrophic failure battery stacking was partially to blame. If the bottom battery swells the top battery won't be able to vent except in your face with the design of most mods including the Vamo (Bottom vent hole)

levisdaddy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 2, 2012
tucson
i too am a fan of the vamo. i also have a CVI that works almost the same, but lighter in weight. only downfall of the CVI is the single button menu. i only use IMR/CGR 18650s. For the longest time i was just using VV, thinking it gave me better control, once i understood VW, i hardly ever switch to volts, the vamo will chose the correct voltage to match your OHM and WATTS. And i only use rms, never quite understood how to utilize the avg properly

Slots

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2012
Eastern Wa.
I have 2 (new to me) Vamos also, and one question I've never seen the answer too is ...
Do you store your batteries charged or uncharged.
I can see having two ready to go as I use both Vamos, but I have a few extra batteries, and they may just sit as spares"
So, can I just keep the "extras" stored uncharged for the time being ??

USMARINE

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2013
Tacoma, WA
I have 2 (new to me) Vamos also, and one question I've never seen the answer too is ...
Do you store your batteries charged or uncharged.
I can see having two ready to go as I use both Vamos, but I have a few extra batteries, and they may just sit as spares"
So, can I just keep the "extras" stored uncharged for the time being ??

I rotate my batteries to ensure they are all working as they should.

RoadKillCrayon

Verified Member
Nov 17, 2012
California
Thanks again guys....I knew I could count on the collective wisdom of the people in this forum to help out. The vamo is due to arrive tomorrow afternoon.......The waiting for a package is always frustrating for some reason .......even with very quick shipping times!!!!!

My next question is this - Can/should I expect to notice any difference vaping with the Vamo as opposed to the KGO? And if so, what may the difference/differences be?

Satava

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 26, 2013
Cleveland, Ohio
You need to use voltage instead of wattage for dual coil systems.

Untrue. Moving on.

The difference in vaping with a Vamo vs a KGO is simple. You can pop coils and get dry hits if you set it too high. You can tweak it up slowly and get a very nice very strong vape.

You'll probably want to step down your nicotine with the higher power if you ever use a rebuildable or end up with a tummy ache, but the 12mg should be perfect in a carto/clearo.

Your KGO vapes most carts/clearos around the neighborhood of 5 watts, so start there and work your way up 0.5 at a time until it tastes great and doesnt get too dry or hot. Most carts/clearos can pop above 8 watts. (8 watts is like a 1.3 ohm LR cart on a KGO, most LR doesnt go below 1.5 ohms for about 7.5 watts)

xyanide

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2013
The Netherlands
Nice replies here. On long term battery storage (anything over a few weeks), for Li-Ion charge them between 3 and 3,7V (4.2 is the maximum) if you wish to store them. If you want to prolong the life of Li-Ion discharge them a bit after a full charge. Try to keep all your batteries in rotation to avoid long-term storage. I don't know if Efest are the best batteries around, but batteries with Sanyo or Panasonic cells seem to perform very well and last.

Regarding the real question of OP I'll try keep it simple. Using a variable power setting should keep your vape uniform in terms of heat production no matter what your screw onto it. While wattage refers to the actual power dissipation (i.e. heat), voltage would just be the potential energy you throw at your coil. As you see, the total effect of the voltage will change depending on your coil.

Like Satava said you need to be careful with setting your watts too high, the vamo can and will go WAY too high for single coils. Start low and work it up carefully while tasting for hints of burn.
As a point of reference, I'm actually vaping 5W most of the time when I'm indoors because i'm using fruit flavors that fry easily.

Last edited:

RoadKillCrayon

Verified Member
Nov 17, 2012
California
Going forward......What kind of cartos and stuff should I be buying for the Vamo??? I think I have been getting 1.7 and also some 2.0 ohm cartos. Do I continue buying the same things....Or should I be looking at something different going forward?

Again, thank you for your help- but I will admit, the whole voltage and wattage things confuse me. I will simply start low, at the setting that have been suggested, and go very slowly from there.

Spike64

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 18, 2013
Michigan
but what do I do with it once it arrives? I have been using 3 KGO Rivas since last summer and wanted something a little different. In addition to the vamo I also purchased the following items from smoktek: iClear 30 compact, 2ohm Innokin iClear 30 Dual Coil Clearomizer 2.0 ohm with 3 additional replacement heads. ST-Carto-3.2 - Black ST 510 Cartomizer - 3.2 ohm (5 pack). Set of Efest 18350 800mA button IMR's. Efest IMR18650 battery-2000-button Efest IMR18650 2000mAh 3.7V Rechargeable LiMn battery - button top. I opted to get the larger battery as well as the smaller ones so that I could use the smaller batteries stacked or in mini mode.

My question really is regarding the cartos and clearomizer. I don't know what the variable voltage and variable power settings do and where to set things at first to try these items out. I certainly do not want to burn things out right from the start.

Also.....I would like to know, when it all arrives, how long should I let it charge before using it?????

What is RMS and AVG voltage and which one should I be setting this thing at??????
Thank you in advance for any help you may be able to offer. The items have been shipped and should be here soon, so I really would like to be prepared and confident that I will at least have SOME idea of where to start off with the settings when it arrives.

As far as eliquid goes - I also ordered their "wildberry" smokejuice as well. It is 12mg but did not have a section to order specific PG/VG - so I am unsure about the percentages there. I usually use raspberry and pina colada from northwest vapors 50/50 PG/VG at 12%-and will be using that eliquid in this Vamo as well.

I just got my Vamo in the mail....I already read the manual and watched some vids on it and I had an 18650 charged and ready. I screwed a 5 ml UDCT on it, set it where I wanted it, and started vaping immediately....very nice...this thing is really nice and works great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread