Status
Not open for further replies.

mamabear15

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2015
USA
I've got an istick 30w now. Love it.

Been planning for awhile to set my parents up with a "basic" regulated box kit, they're new to vaping (both tried & hated my old ego & even the kanger vv1600 didn't quite do it for Mom... so that's why regulated)

Originally I planned to get them both an istick 30 because I like what I have. However prices seem to be nearly the same for that, a vamo and a Sigelei vmax v5...at least, they're all in my price range...so I'm wondering if I should upgrade my plans?

I like the idea of replaceable batteries as opposed to my istick, seems like it'd make the device itself have a much better lifespan. (True, or a dumb assumption on my part?) I also like the passthru USB charging on my istick, tho... I believe the vmax has both those options.

FYI - I use my istick in really 2 different ways. With a protank 3 when I'm at home and wanna chain vape, around 5-7 watts (any higher & I burn the coils. strange but true!)...this is what I expect Mom to like... But I also use my subtank mini when I want a "real" hit to take the place of a smoke break at work, lol a 1.2ohm at around 20 w, a couple hits and I'm good for an hour or two! This is what I expect Dad to like because he's a cigar/pipe smoker, loves clouds as well as flavor, and doesn't seem to get that "whoa" head-rush, buzz-y feeling that is what puts me off my subtank after a couple hits. So I want whatever I get them to be able to handle either "extreme" so to speak lol

What would y'all consider the best choice, then, for a vw box mod in the $30-60 price range? The 3 I mentioned in the title are the ones that have caught my attention so far, but I'm open to other ideas too if I've missed one... Thanks in advance!!

Last edited:

Zanzabar78

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 4, 2012
Jordan
I've got an istick 30w now. Love it.

Been planning for awhile to set my parents up with a "basic" regulated box kit, they're new to vaping (both tried & hated my old ego & even the kanger vv1600 didn't quite do it for Mom... so that's why regulated)

Originally I planned to get them both an istick 30 because I like what I have. However prices seem to be nearly the same for that, a vamo and a Sigelei vmax v5...at least, they're all in my price range...so I'm wondering if I should upgrade my plans?

I like the idea of replaceable batteries as opposed to my istick, seems like it'd make the device itself have a much better lifespan. (True, or a dumb assumption on my part?) I also like the passthru USB charging on my istick, tho... I believe the vmax has both those options.

FYI - I use my istick in really 2 different ways. With a protank 3 when I'm at home and wanna chain vape, around 5-7 watts (any higher & I burn the coils. strange but true!)...this is what I expect Mom to like... But I also use my subtank mini when I want a "real" hit to take the place of a smoke break at work, lol a 1.2ohm at around 20 w, a couple hits and I'm good for an hour or two! This is what I expect Dad to like because he's a cigar/pipe smoker, loves clouds as well as flavor, and doesn't seem to get that "whoa" head-rush, buzz-y feeling that is what puts me off my subtank after a couple hits. So I want whatever I get them to be able to handle either "extreme" so to speak lol

What would y'all consider the best choice, then, for a vw box mod in the $30-60 price range? The 3 I mentioned in the title are the ones that have caught my attention so far, but I'm open to other ideas too if I've missed one... Thanks in advance!!
Istick 30 or 50, don't bother with anything else in that range

Monotremata

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Fontana, CA
monotremata.bandcamp.com
I have the Vamo and the iStick, and I would definitely recommend the iStick over the Vamo. The build quality is worse on the Vamo, and it will be more expensive after you buy a decent charger and good batteries (the ones that come with a Vamo kit are not great). Also it is heavy compared to an iStick.
What Vamo do you have? I've never seen them as a kit. I have a genuine KSD Vamo v7 (the latest one) and its rock solid. Taken many hits (even a 3-4' drop onto asphalt) and still vapes away. The only reason my Sigelei mini replaced it was its too big to carry at work in my pocket.

Bibliophile713

ECF Veteran
Jul 19, 2013
SC, USA
I'd suggest the istick 50 over the 30, for the battery life and form factor.

The MVP 3.0 is very well-made, has a big, bright screen, and is easy to use. It's only slightly larger than the previous MVP and has an easier button press.

I can't say that I'd suggest a Vamo. I have a flaky Vamo v5. My neighbor has a dead Vamo v5. Other neighbors have a v3 that has been trouble-free. Reviews that I've read of newer models are also hit-or-miss.

Bookworm

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
USA
What Vamo do you have? I've never seen them as a kit. I have a genuine KSD Vamo v7 (the latest one) and its rock solid. Taken many hits (even a 3-4' drop onto asphalt) and still vapes away. The only reason my Sigelei mini replaced it was its too big to carry at work in my pocket.

Vamo v5. The 510 threads are such a joke that I can't recommend it to anyone. It's way too heavy and way too long in 18650 mode. It doesn't even compare to the iSticks.

Edited to add: Also, I've seen the Vamo in a kit tons of times. It comes with two no name 18350s and a cheap battery charger. Most people say the batteries and charger should not be used.

Last edited:

yzer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
Northern California
Sigelei Zmax V5 because of your preferred wattage.

Advantages: Excellent quality, good looking telescopic stainless steel tube design. Stainless steel 510 threading. Battery versatility: 18350, 18490, 18500, 18650, 2x18350. Low cost: as low as $20-$40 from US vendors. Fine for up to 12W with a single battery and up to 24W with 2x18350.

Disadvantages: The weak component is the switch. A significant percentage of Sigelei V3s and V5s suffer switch failures during the first year of constant use, however users have successfully replaced these switches with better quality part.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread