Vandy Vape Trident Waterproof Starter Kit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim Wiseman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2017
Bolton, England
Hi ECF members, In this review i take a look at the Trident Waterproof Starter Kit from Vandyvape. The Trident Waterproof Starter Kit was supplied for the purpose of this review by Ariel from vandyvape.

Trident Kit | VANDY VAPE® Full Steam Ahead

Introduction

After releasing the Jackeroo which is in direct competition with the single battery Aegis devices from Geekvape, Vandyvape have now released the Trident. The Trident is a simple direct output stick device but has the same IP67 rating as the previous mentioned devices giving those that prefer this style of device an almost indestructible option. The review is quite straightforward as the device is, so i'll crack on!

In The Box

Contents:

1pc Trident Mod
1pc Trident Tank(3ml)
1pc Extra Bubble glass(5ml)
1pc Mesh Coil(0.15ohm )
1pc User Manual
1pc USB Cable
1pc Accessory Bag

Aesthetics and Ergonomics

The Trident Kit came in cardboard box packaging with cardboard sleeve, i received the Black version which comes with matching Black Trident tank with Red drip tip. The other colour options are Military Green, Desert Yellow and Grey, all these colour options come with a Silver tank with a drip tip to match the device. The Trident is a tubular shaped device and i'm guessing the name comes from the Trident missile. It has a very sturdy Stainless Steel 510 plate with Gold plated, spring loaded 510, the base of the device is also Stainless Steel and can be unscrewed to insert your 18650 battery, the base has printed branding and a membrane sealed central venting hole. The main body of the device has a thick rubber like casing which is said to be a silicone gel material and incredibly durable. The device has plenty of raised and indented areas giving it an aesthetic design which i will leave to the pictures to describe. The device has a very large fire button which protrudes the same as the raised areas of the design and has the same rubberised finish so has texturing so it can be felt when in use. The fire button has a small translucent strip on each side for LED's to show indications clearly. The size, shape and rubber finish makes it an ergonomic delight and again the rubber finish along with the raised design gives it nice grip.

Trident Kit Specs and Features:

Size: 137 x 27mm
Capacity: 3.5ml (5ml bubble glass)
Battery: Single 18650
Resistance: 0.15ohm
Resistance Range: 0.1-3ohm
Output Power: < 100W
Working voltage: 3.2-4.2V
Working current: < 35A
Output voltage: 2.8-4.0V
Output mode: Bypass
Standby current: < 10uA
Colour: Black, Military Green, Desert Yellow, Grey

Trident Sub-ohm Tank Overview

Why change a tank when you can just change it's name? When i used the Trident tank it seemed so familiar and then i got the Jackeroo tank out and yep they are identical. So the same stands that it is a nice looking subohm tank which comes pre-installed with a 3.5ml straight glass which is indented from the top and bottom of the tank so if it's dropped the glass won't hit the surface the tank falls on so very unlikely to break. It's pretty standard comprising of top-cap, juice port ring with attached chimney and the base section with airflow control ring. The coil gets screwed into the base and the top of the coil screws to the chimney when the tank is screwed together. The glass is secured in place top and bottom with o-rings and can easily be removed for cleaning or swapping for the included 5ml bubble glass. The Trident tank comes with a 510 wide bore Resin drip tip that is a colour to match the panels on the device, the o-rings are fitted to the socket of the tank rather than the drip tip itself but other 510's will fit. The top of the tank has a stepped look and has an easy screw off top-fill method, just half a turn and the top is off to reveal a generous filling port. The airflow is large dual cyclops, the control ring has texturing and moves with a nice tolerance. The finish on the Black tank is matte and feels like a rubber paint in keeping with the look of the device and we have a protruding, fixed Gold plated 510.

Waterproof, Dustproof, Shockproof (no USB)

The Trident has a rating regarding Water, Shock and Dust protection of IP67 which means the device isn't going to be damaged by normal drops, dropping in a bath or using in heavy rain, in fact the IP rating is impressive and this device can take a beating and live to see another day. One weak point with making a device watertight is the USB port as it can be sealed with a silicone bung or plate sealed with a membrane but constant removal is going to weaken the seal in time, so on this simple device no USB is present which does mean the battery can't be charged in the device. If you rely on charging your battery in the device and have other devices, one way around this i suppose would be to charge the battery in one of your other devices before transferring to the Trident although if you really like the look of the Trident and are tempted the option i would recommend is investing in an external battery charger.

Fitting The Battery

The Trident accommodates an 18650 battery which is fitted by unscrewing the Stainless Steel base of the device. The threading is very nice and a good quality o-ring completes the watertight seal but make sure it's fastened tight. Orientation is marked well and their is also a central venting hole with membrane seal which will break to allow venting if needed for safety. I received the retail version and know that the samples that were sent out had a plastic tube that was inserted inside the battery compartment for extra protection in case your wrap had a tear you were unaware of, the retail version has the plastic tube fixed inside the compartment so no longer is separate but don't use it as an excuse for knowingly using a battery with a damaged wrap.

Navigating The Device

The Trident is a basic direct output device simply giving whatever power the battery has direct to the atomizer so nothing can be adjusted you simply press the fire button and vape. The device should not be confused with a mechanical device as the Trident has built in protections and only fires with resistances between 0.1-3ohm. The Trident can be turned on and off with 5 clicks of the fire button both of which are confirmed by the LED strips on the fire button flashing Purple 5 times. The trident does show battery status indication when taking a vape by what colour the 2 LED strips on the fire button light. When they light Purple the battery is between 70% and 100%, when they light Blue it's between 30% and 70% and when the LED strips light Red the battery status is less than 30%. When the safety protections kick in they are indicated by various flashes of the LED's.

Protections

Battery Management System (including low voltage protection)
Over-heating Protection
Short Circuit Protection
10 Second Cut-off

Using Independently

The Trident tank and device suit each other which they should being a kit but can both be used independently. Although nothing special the Jackeroo, i mean Trident tank is a decent sub-ohm tank which has a ton of air which can be closed down for more restriction even if slightly turbulent. The Trident device can also be used with other tanks and RDA's etc but obviously you need to use resistances that suit a single battery direct output device.

My Experience Using The Trident Kit

The Trident has a really nice feel in the hand and the fire button has a kind of cushioned press which i like but couldn't always find it without looking at the device. The device fires without any delay that i noticed and with full to mid battery life gave a really good warm vape with the supplied 0.15ohm coil. Unlike with the Jackeroo where both a 0.15ohm coil and 0.3ohm coil was supplied the Trident comes with 2 identical 0.15ohm mesh coils rated between 50-90W which is a good move as they suit the Tridents direct output much better than the 0.3ohm coil as they have a much broader rating even if a touch more turbulent than the 0.3ohm coil which i preferred with the the fully regulated Jackeroo. I have used the Jackeroo quite a bit (exact same tank) so can vouch for the coils longevity both the 0.15ohm coils and the 0.3ohm coil (not included) give above average flavour, all round it's a very decent tank. The device is what it is, a direct output device so will not be for everyone as the power decreases along with battery life and once the batteries life was less than half full the vape started getting cooler along with a drop off in flavour. The tank has a ton of air and i used it with the airflow less than half open for the restriction i like. The battery status indication is given on the website as both percentages and the equivalent in voltage and the percentages seem wrong as the LED seems to light Purple for at least half the batteries life but indication is still acceptable in regards having enough notice that a new battery will soon be needed. To me having no USB to charge the battery on-board is no issue as i wouldn't charge in the device anyway but will still be put as a con as some people rely on charging this way.

Excellent build quality
Very Ergonomic
IP67 Water, shock and dustproof
Thick Rubber casing
Very nice feeling fire button with satisfying cushioned click
Fires instantly
Battery Status Indication
Multiple protections
Battery cap nice threading
Clearly marked orientation
Battery compartment has plastic lining
Trident Tank, Very good flavour
Plenty of air with good adjustability for more restriction
Spare 5ml bubble glass
Top-fill, half turn and top is off (very quick)
Both tank and device can be used independently

Cons

Direct output (power decreases along with battery)
Can't charge battery on-board
Flavour drops off as power decreases
Couldn't always feel fire button
No 810 option
Slight turbulence with airflow

I would once again like to thank Ariel from Vandyvape for supplying the Trident Kit for the purpose of this review.

Trident Kit | VANDY VAPE® Full Steam Ahead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread