Status
Not open for further replies.

Pete54

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2009
Clearwater, Florida
So I'm trying to make a decent vanilla Custard My research led me to use 18% Capella's Vanilla Custard, 1.5% Dulce de Leche and 1.5% EM. Problem is this. I know that Custard e-juices require a long steep time and are supposed to turn from a light yellow color to a deep amber when ready to vape. I've been steeping mine for 4 weeks and it just won't change color! I've tried with the top off, top on, hot bath, sunshine!!!!!!!
Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

aceswired

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2013
Minnesota
I recently did a popular GVC recipe found here (15% Cap VC and 2% dulce) and after two days found it quite appealing. I had my wife taste it and asked her what she thought it was, and she answered "sugar cookie." Now that's all I can taste.

Thinking of tweaking the recipe to lower the VC and add a hint of caramel, or maybe even butterscotch.

Pete54

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2009
Clearwater, Florida
I use vanilla custard with dulce de leche too but it usually stays a golden color, I don't think its ever gotten darker than that. All that really matters is if you like the flavor of it, seems like you've steeped it long enough give it a try and see if you like it :)
I've tried it many times. It tastes ok but not nearly as good as say Custards Last Stand or Grants. Those juices are a much darker color yet are supposedly made with essentially the same ingredients as I'm using. I've been told by several people that there should be a definite color change when Capella's vanilla Custard is steeped so I must be missing something.

MissAmerican

ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
Theres a few others on here that have said it tastes like sugar cookie to them too, I get a pudding kinda flavor from it but I wish it tasted like sugar cookie for me that would be awesome. The VC is a strong flavor I usually don't go above 8-10% with it or else it seems to dominate anything else I add to it to the point where I cant taste much else. You cant go wrong (IMO)with adding caramel or butterscotch to it, those flavors are such great mixers I love them.

MissAmerican

ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
I've tried it many times. It tastes ok but not nearly as good as say Custards Last Stand or Grants. Those juices are a much darker color yet are supposedly made with essentially the same ingredients as I'm using. I've been told by several people that there should be a definite color change when Capella's vanilla Custard is steeped so I must be missing something.

I haven't had the pleasure of trying those flavors yet, especially Grants it always seems to be out of stock when I look for it. Maybe adding a higher % of the dulce would help and a drop or 2 of vape wizard MTS might have something to do with the color darkening?

Last edited:

we2rcool

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2013
Iowa, IA, USA
Here are two threads chock-full of information & tips from folks making Vanilla Custard - first a Grant's Clone:
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/e-liquid-recipes/475332-grants-vanilla-custard.html Btw, we made this last night - 7.5% CA Vanilla Custard and 2% TFA Dulce de Leche - after four 30 minute sessions in the ultrasonic, we're 100% impressed (someday we might wanna add a splash of this/that, but for now it's fantastic).

And here's another Vanilla Custard thread: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/e-liquid-recipes/431171-stevos-vanilla-custard.html

'Hope you find what you're needing!

MissAmerican

ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
I lower my custard base to 10% and add 2% yellow cake, 2% cream cheese icing and 2% Bavarian cream with 1% Vanilla swirl. Works for me

Cream cheese icing sounds sooo good, what brand sells that? I've been trying to make my own using cheesecake and vanilla but its not quite right still.

we2rcool

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2013
Iowa, IA, USA
I lower my custard base to 10% and add 2% yellow cake, 2% cream cheese icing and 2% Bavarian cream with 1% Vanilla swirl. Works for me

That combo sounds like one you could found a business upon...and then sell it and retire!

Wethinks you should give it a name and post it on the Recipe forum! :)

we2rcool

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2013
Iowa, IA, USA
Cream cheese icing sounds sooo good, what brand sells that? I've been trying to make my own using cheesecake and vanilla but its not quite right still.

Cream Cheese Icing Flavor Concentrate (LA) (link to WZL)

We've used it in a couple of vapes, and it seems pretty good to us (but we never mixed/tried it separately). I'm working now on "Violet Mint Melt-away" using it, and it did just want I wanted it to do in that recipe...'still more work to do because I overshot the mint and one of the creams is wrong (grrrrr).

I've seen lots of positive reviews & recipes for the Cream Cheese Icing :)

Pete54

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2009
Clearwater, Florida
Thanks for all the advice folks. Below is a picture of the "proper" VC color mixed at 12%. I am unable to duplicate this color. Perhaps it's because I store my juice in amber glass bottles???
IMAG0741_zps85622609.jpg

MissAmerican

ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
Ooh yea because of the amber glass bottles that might be it! The flavors I have in plastic bottles change colors after about a week or so, but the ones I have in blue glass seem to never change color. The flavors I have in plastic have at times went from almost clear to a weird orange or even kinda brownish after a while.

Last edited:
Theres a few others on here that have said it tastes like sugar cookie to them too, I get a pudding kinda flavor from it but I wish it tasted like sugar cookie for me that would be awesome.

I also think it has a sort of pudding flavor to it, I think that has a lot to do with the dulce de leche. It seems pretty strong. My VC mix right now is 15% Capellas VC and 2% DDL. Speaking of sugar cookie… wizard labs sent me a free sample of cinnamon sugar cookie today =) Im pretty excited to mess with that.

Pete54

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2009
Clearwater, Florida
Ooh yea because of the amber glass bottles that might be it! The flavors I have in plastic bottles change colors after about a week or so, but the ones I have in blue glass seem to never change color. The flavors I have in plastic have at times went from almost clear to a weird orange or even kinda brownish after a while.
Well I put some into a plastic bottle to see what happens. Kind of makes you wonder why plastic has this affect, doesn't it?

Jonathan Tittle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2013
Johnson City, TN, USA
xanderjuice.com
Well I put some into a plastic bottle to see what happens. Kind of makes you wonder why plastic has this affect, doesn't it?

Even in the dark, if the plastic is frosted or clear, more light gets in and light can cause chemical reactions to occur. This is why some use amber and cobalt bottles as they greatly reduce the amount of light and hinder any potential reactions that may occur. That's why most nicotine is shipped in either amber or solid white bottles; they want to prevent light from getting in which causes a speed-up in the oxidation process.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread