Vape batteries in space!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ecffred

Moved On
Jul 5, 2019
The 18650 battery popular with vape and electric cars is also being used in cubesats and rockets in space as a more cost-effective option to 'aerospace' batteries.

I'm here to learn all the first-hand knowledge you have about using, storing, charging and testing these batteries as there is a huge amount of real-world experimentation going on here!
--
Fred

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
The 18650 battery popular with vape and electric cars is also being used in cubesats and rockets in space as a more cost-effective option to 'aerospace' batteries.

I'm here to learn all the first-hand knowledge you have about using, storing, charging and testing these batteries as there is a huge amount of real-world experimentation going on here!
--
Fred
Hi fred,
You are in the wrong place.
Go here: Basic to Advanced Battery Information from Battery University

Cheers
I

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA

--
Fred
Actually not so much. We’re generally scared as hell of those things. Most of what you’ll find here is safety stuff. The local battery expert is @Mooch. He’s got a patreon you might find it worth your time to join.
Battery Mooch is creating battery tests and educating vapers | Patreon
I for one wouldn’t personally even use a battery at high altitude. Some batteries make gas when damaged and the safety features of the batteries assume atmosphere. There are many types and designs within types though and it’s possible there is something to fit your needs. @Mooch would be the one to ask though.

Jim_ MDP

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2015
Actually not so much. We’re generally scared as hell of those things. Most of what you’ll find here is safety stuff. The local battery expert is @Mooch. He’s got a patreon you might find it worth your time to join.
Battery Mooch is creating battery tests and educating vapers | Patreon
I for one wouldn’t personally even use a battery at high altitude. Some batteries make gas when damaged and the safety features of the batteries assume atmosphere. There are many types and designs within types though and it’s possible there is something to fit your needs. @Mooch would be the one to ask though.
I'm having a hard time imagining what we think of as Li Ion packaging and chem being used in an environment much ouside human comfort range in space... if you're well enough heated, you've probably got an RTG or some such for power as well. Actually the batt/power solutions on craft are surely innovative as hell, but likely not cell types we would recognize.

Plus the whole... hazardous when mishandled thing. [emoji2]

But if you want stressful experimentation of 18650s etc., I'd suggest the flashlight (torch) fanatics... those folk are nuts. [emoji2]

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    I'm having a hard time imagining what we think of as Li Ion packaging and chem being used in an environment much ouside human comfort range in space... if you're well enough heated, you've probably got an RTG or some such for power as well. Actually the batt/power solutions on craft are surely innovative as hell, but likely not cell types we would recognize.

Plus the whole... hazardous when mishandled thing. [emoji2]

But if you want stressful experimentation of 18650s etc., I'd suggest the flashlight (torch) fanatics... those folk are nuts. [emoji2]

Actually, NASA has done a lot of off-the-shelf 18650 safety testing and they have several papers on the web to check out. 18650 cells are used in systems such as EVA suit life support, glove heaters, lights, tools, etc., used during EVA activities in space. There are 18650 packs in multiple ISS commercial cargo/crew craft too.

7011DAA6-D0FD-497A-A33F-5C93A2C1CA36.jpeg 8C750F11-C97D-427F-828F-A8CF6AAAC310.png B0A9B787-5BD0-4E3E-BD83-D9636E87B023.jpeg 150C18C4-A907-4244-81F4-FBECFD378C28.jpeg

Just title page thumbnails above.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015

--
    Fred

We have a bit of experience here but NASA has published several papers with loads of safety and performance testing of COTS 18650 cells, all towards qualifying cells and pack designs for aerospace/space use.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread