Vape is crackling and smoking while on charge...

Status
Not open for further replies.

msc382

Aug 14, 2019
Hi!

I’m new to vaping and recently purchased a Kangertech subox mini. It has been great so far, but today I put it onto charge via portable charger and within 5 minutes it was making a cracking sound and releasing vapour, similar to how it would if I were holding the button in. I immediately removed it from charge and am honestly terrified to put it back on in case it explodes. I have attempted to find what could be the cause of this on google with no luck.

Does it sound like I’ve overcharged it in the past and maybe fried the battery? How do I fix it?

Thank you

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I seriously would NOT use that battery device again. Don't plug it in again. It sounds like the electronics have been corrupted for whatever reason and the device should be considered toast. Unless the device is still under warranty, consider it a loss and get a new mod. It can't be fixed.

What could happen if you plug your battery device back in:

I believe that model uses an 18650 battery. Should you choose to get another mod which uses external removable 18650 batteries, I highly recommend that you buy and use a Li-ion battery charger to charge your batteries instead of using the internal USB charger in the mod. It's safer and faster to use a separate charger, and you can easily monitor the battery's temperature while its charging. Always charge your batteries on a flame resistant surface and don't charge batteries unattended. Guide to Choosing a Li-ion Battery Charger

This is a perfect example of why we need a backup vape setup. Don't give yourself the excuse to buy cigarettes because your only vape setup stopped working.

Last edited:

Georgia Boy

ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2019
Atlanta Georgia
I agree with @Baditude, I never charge an external battery with via USB, i just think it is inviting danger that is avoidable. Everyone needs a back up just in case of mishaps whatever that maybe. Run to your local vape shop and buy something to at least keep you vaping and off the Coffin Nails.

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
    Ya, it definitely sounds like an auto-fire thing. I don't quite understand why it only auto-fires when charging and not anytime else though. You certainly do need another mod, and a backup wouldn't hurt.

NealBJr

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 27, 2013
    Lawrenceville, Ga.
    Hi!

I’m new to vaping and recently purchased a Kangertech Subox mini. It has been great so far, but today I put it onto charge via portable charger and within 5 minutes it was making a cracking sound and releasing vapour, similar to how it would if I were holding the button in. I immediately removed it from charge and am honestly terrified to put it back on in case it explodes. I have attempted to find what could be the cause of this on google with no luck.

Does it sound like I’ve overcharged it in the past and maybe fried the battery? How do I fix it?

Thank you

What baditude is right. The Subbox mini kit uses an external 18650 battery. The batteries can be replaced, but If it fires while on the charger, I believe it may be what Baditude says, and it is autofiring. Juice sometimes leak into the electronics through the 510. This can cause a short in the electronics, and who knows what could happen. I am not saying this is exactly what happened in your case, but it would be my first guess.

Like Baditude suggested, I always recommend using a good external charger. It is key element for battery safety and longevity. I also recommend taking the atomizer off and cleaning the contacts of the 510 from time to time.. probably check it at least once per week and use a Q-tip to clean the threads and contact. This also helps you check to see if you have juice leaking into your mod. Unfortunately, I don't think there is a fix for your mod besides buying a new one. I would probably take it to a local vape shop and have a second opinion.

Welcome to the forums, and good luck.

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 11, 2019
    Phoenixville, PA, U.S. of A.
    Ya, it definitely sounds like an auto-fire thing. I don't quite understand why it only auto-fires when charging and not anytime else though. You certainly do need another mod, and a backup wouldn't hurt.
    If the battery is that drained, it'd explain that, which is also a bad situation waiting to happen.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 21, 2015
    It has been great so far, but today I put it onto charge via portable charger and within 5 minutes it was making a cracking sound and releasing vapour, similar to how it would if I were holding the button in.

I'm thinking you possibly used a charging cable for another device (ie. cell phone, etc.), instead of one rated properly for your mod, or even came with your mod. I know someone (was a nearly brand new vaper) who fried his mod that way.

msc382

Aug 14, 2019
    I'm thinking you possibly used a charging cable for another device (ie. cell phone, etc.), instead of one rated properly for your mod, or even came with your mod. I know someone (was a nearly brand new vaper) who fried his mod that way.
    I used the USB cable which came with it.

Thanks to everyone for all the replies though, I believe it is still under warranty so I’m gonna head down to my local shop tomorrow and try to get a new one. It’s staying off until then. I don’t know a whole lot about batteries or vaping in general really haha, like I said, I’m a total newb to it all. It doesn’t seem to do it any other time and hasn’t before. Should I just Chuck it in the bin or hold onto it to take it down?

msc382

Aug 14, 2019
    I used the USB cable which came with it.

Thanks to everyone for all the replies though, I believe it is still under warranty so I’m gonna head down to my local shop tomorrow and try to get a new one. It’s staying off until then. I don’t know a whole lot about batteries or vaping in general really haha, like I said, I’m a total newb to it all. It doesn’t seem to do it any other time and hasn’t before. Should I just Chuck it in the bin or hold onto it to take it down?

Reactions: smacuser

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    I’ve checked the box and I was wrong about the model! It’s a Togo mini 2.0 if that makes any sort of difference to the battery?
    Simple answer is no. Although that uses an internal battery, it wasn't designed to be replaced. Return the mod to where you bought it. If still under warranty you should be able to exchange it for another mod.

You didn't do anything to cause what happened. If the vendor won't honor the warranty, I'd find a different vendor for future purchases.

Last edited:

NealBJr

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 27, 2013
    Lawrenceville, Ga.
    Also, editing to add:

I’ve checked the box and I was wrong about the model! It’s a Togo mini 2.0 if that makes any sort of difference to the battery?

The togo mini is an unregulated device with a built in battery. In short, that means you cannot adjust the voltage/wattage. I would recommend taking it back to the seller (not the manufacturer) first.... especially if it's within 2-3 months. let them have a go at checking it out. I also recommend taking the coil and juice out of it before returning it just as a safety precaution.

If you cannot return it to the seller, then you'll have to go through the retailer (kangertech). Unfortunately, most of the time that is a long and drawn out process. So, I would recommend you get a good replacement of a different type. It never hurts to try to get a refund, or at least a replacement... it beats it going straight to the garbage.

As far as a replacement device, I do recommend a few key features to look for.

1) regulated.. get something that you can adjust the power level to suit your needs. This doesn't necessarily mean you'll be changing that setting often... I personally found what wattage I like, and I haven't changed it in a few months.
    2) A device that has a seperate atomizer and battery. That way if one breaks, you can replace the other part. It also allows you to change the atomizer to one that better suits your vaping style.
    3) one that has a replaceable battery... then get a good battery from a reputable company. most of the time, these are 18650's, and those batteries will last a good long while. But even batteries will eventually die out in the future. So if you have a mod that can go the distance, chances are, you'll be replacing that battery. it is also nice to be able to swap out batteries if you are running low. I would go on a weekend camping trip with my son, and never once saw an outlet. I took a few extra batteries with me while camping.

If you decide to go with a pod, you'rre probably in an "all in one" setting, where none of those options are available. I'm not saying don't get a pod system, but if you want a setup that will last a while, that's the route to go. Also get a system that you can find coils easily no matter what type of setup you have. And by all means, ask questions here on ECF about the reliability of the company and mod... We don't have any ties to any particular company or have sales quotas to make.. we're just here to help.

good luck and keep us informed.

Reactions: smacuser
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread