Not open for further replies.

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2017
Boston
Took out the old Joytech Exceed D19 vape pen Sunday to meander down memory lane and to see if it still worked. Fully charged it and added some juice to the tank. Of course the coil flooded (now I remember why I hated that pen o_O) so I put it in an atty stand on my coffee table and forgot about it.

Jump ahead 24 hours- I’m building some coils when I see plumes of vape, smell burning and hear sizzling coming from the coffee table. The pen was firing on its own! :evil:

I picked it up and it was hot as hell! I tried pushing the fire button to turn it off to no avail meanwhile hot vape is getting in my face & my hand is “burning”.

I thought for sure it was going to blow up in my hand it was so freaking hot so I ran outside and put it on the cement patio. Eventually it stopped firing. Its still there. I don’t want it anywhere near my house lol! :w00t:

Seriously what does one do with these devices as this point? I’m not going to bring it to a recycling place - I’m afraid to bring it in my car!

Suggestions? :?:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Your battery was venting. If there was no flame or explosion, it didn't go into thermal runaway.

By removing the juice attachment, the circuit to the battery will be broken and should no longer be an issue of blowing up. The battery most likely has been spent of its charge, too, by this point in time. It has already self-destructed as much as it ever will.

If you're still paranoid, soak the battery in water. Then transport the battery in a metal bucket or pot. These last two are probably over kill and not even necessary.

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Mooch provides a scientific explanation of "venting" and "thermal runaway" here:
His explanation is for an external "IMR" type battery, but an internal LiPo battery does the same thing while venting or going into thermal runaway. In fact, a Lipo is more likely to flame or explode than an IMR type.

Last edited:

Rangertrix

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 5, 2013
Collinsville, OK
It's also possible that while sitting there the tank leaked liquid down through the 510 and simply shorted out.
Especially if was a tank that was flooding and was never vaped enough to create a vacuum.

Either way, It's dead.
I would place tape over the 510 (just in case) and recycle it.

Reactions: Eskie

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2017
Boston
It's also possible that while sitting there the tank leaked liquid down through the 510 and simply shorted out.
Especially if was a tank that was flooding and was never vaped enough to create a vacuum.

Either way, It's dead.
I would place tape over the 510 (just in case) and recycle it.

I believe you’ve hit it on the nail. It had leaked some because there was a small ring of juice where it had been standing.

I haven’t moved that quickly in a long time lol!

I’m just grateful this happened while I was sitting there and not when I was out or sleeping.

• Agree
Reactions: Eskie

Rangertrix

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 5, 2013
Collinsville, OK
I believe you’ve hit it on the nail. It had leaked some because there was a small ring of juice where it had been standing.

I haven’t moved that quickly in a long time lol!

I’m just grateful this happened while I was sitting there and not when I was out or sleeping.

Glad it worked out for you too. :)

Vaperer

ECF Veteran
Dec 10, 2017
The Exceed D19 is a internal battery mod.
Chuck it in the lake
No don't do that
Throw it in the garbage
No don't do that
I got it
take it to Pepboys and leave it on top of the battery section. Just run out of there so nobody gets a good identification of you. It's clear sailing once you're out of that store

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread