Vape running too hot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chodega

Dec 13, 2017
Noob vaper, I've been hunting for answers but I haven't found a solution. I have a pulse mech mod, hadaly clone RDA, EBAT 20700 batteries. No matter what build I try, everything seems to run hot. I picked up a pack of Dr. Coil premade coils. So far I've tried the 26g clapton, 26g mix twisted, and 32g Alien Clapton. Also took it in to the local shop and they put a 26g regular kanthal build in and that was the absolute worst. Ran way too hot. No matter what build I get spitback, and a much hotter vape than I'd prefer. All the coils are wrapped 4/5. Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong? Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.

• Agree
Reactions: AminyWin

AminyWin

Multiple ID Suspension
Dec 7, 2017
China
  • Deleted by Misty
  • Reason: unregistered supplier

Tonee N

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2017
Nevada
Noob vaper, I've been hunting for answers but I haven't found a solution. I have a pulse mech mod, hadaly clone RDA, EBAT 20700 batteries. No matter what build I try, everything seems to run hot. I picked up a pack of Dr. Coil premade coils. So far I've tried the 26g clapton, 26g mix twisted, and 32g Alien Clapton. Also took it in to the local shop and they put a 26g regular kanthal build in and that was the absolute worst. Ran way too hot. No matter what build I get spitback, and a much hotter vape than I'd prefer. All the coils are wrapped 4/5. Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong? Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.
What Build are you running? What does it Ohm out at?(0.1, 0.2, 0.3, etc)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com

papergoblin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2013
alabama

First and foremost this.

You have some reading to do.

https://www.vapepassion.com/pulse-bf-mod-mech-safety/amp/

You also need a way of measuring the resistance of your atomizer. My safe bet is that your resistance is somewhere south of 0.5 Ohms and you're pushing somewhere north of 50 Watts.

Wrap doesn't matter when you don't list coil diameter. 5 wraps at 1.5mm is way different than 3.0mm. If you want to run a mech, you need to know your battery rating, how to use an vaping calculator or how to figure resistance, and you need an ohm reader.

If you don't think you need any of that stuff or to read mech safety, then YT videos of mech mods venting or exploding. I imagine you'll change your mind after seeing how people have lost teeth and messed of the roofs of their mouths, not to mention being burned.

I'm not saying this to get on your case, I just don't want to see anyone get hurt. A mech mod is a completely different animal from any other mod, and yes it is an animal. Treat it right and it's your best friend, turn your back on it or get careless, it will bite you.

I use single 18650 mech mods, I never go below .25 and rarely do that. I generally stay at .4 and up. To me going lower wastes too much juice, just to have more clouds.

Here's some coil examples: All is Kanthal and 26 gauge wire and coil diameter is inside diameter

2mm 5 wraps .25 ohms, 2.5mm 4 wraps .25 ohms, 3mm 3.5 wraps .25ohms
2mm 6 wraps .3 ohms, 2.5mm 5 wraps .3 ohms, 3mm 4 wraps .3 ohms

Notice that a small diameter increase or decrease changes the wrap amount to keep the same resistance. Now, don't take my word for these measurements, never take anyone's word, do the math yourself to verify, then use an ohm meter to test before any build ever touches a mech mod. I ohm my builds before they ever go on my regulated mods and/or my mechs.

Last word of advice, don't go cheap on a meter. It's your fist and last line of safety on a mech, besides your brain. Spend a little more and get a decent one, if you can try to find one that reads .000 not .00, as they round the last number up.

the wind

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 12, 2012
alabama
A dual coil RTA will not double the reading it will HALVE the reading. Do not do that. That would be dangerous. Need to know more about your current build to try to help, but I am in agreement that you may need a higher resistance coil, however you achieve it.

Anna
You right don't know why I was thinking series not parallel.show its always good to read what you got and we all make mistakes.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Nowhere do you mention the resistance of the coils you've been using. This is extremely important, especially in a mech mod which has no safety features. Do you have an ohm meter? If not, you need one now.

You have a safe battery, but unless you know the resistance of your coil, you don't know what build will be safe to use with it.
If your vape is too hot, perhaps the resistance of your coil is too low. Or sub-ohm vaping is not for you. I know if I was a new vaper there would be no way I could immediately use a sub-ohm setup. It took me nearly 3 years to work up to that.

A Beginner's Guide to Your First Mechanical Mod

Explain it to the Dumb Noob: Ohm's Law Calculations

Last edited:

Chodega

Dec 13, 2017
Thank you all for the responses. A lot of useful info there. I know there is more for me to learn. Tbh this was a gift from my brother and he made it seem much easier than the experience I've been having. I've been a juul user for some time now and was looking to make the transition over to something else hence the gift. Any recommendations on an ohm meter? The coil kit has ohms listed on it all sub 1ohm but I know that is likely to change once installed and the leads are cut. Thanks again for the help and looking out for a noob.

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
Actually 5 wraps of kanthal shouldn't be TOOOO hot, but yeah, you want to learn about coils to run a mech.

Another factor here - the Hadaly.
It is NOT an airy RDA. And you need more air for a "hotter" coil, or it can easily get "scorchy" (that's a technical term, lol). I'd suggest seeing if you can get a coil that's 0.5 ohms or higher to get started.

If you haven't, you may want to open it all the way for air, and take short puffs as you learn the difference in draw with this device - if you like a "tight draw" then you'll likely need a cooler (higher ohms) coil.

Thank you all for the responses. A lot of useful info there. I know there is more for me to learn. Tbh this was a gift from my brother and he made it seem much easier than the experience I've been having. I've been a juul user for some time now and was looking to make the transition over to something else hence the gift. Any recommendations on an ohm meter? The coil kit has ohms listed on it all sub 1ohm but I know that is likely to change once installed and the leads are cut. Thanks again for the help and looking out for a noob.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Any recommendations on an ohm meter? The coil kit has ohms listed on it all sub 1ohm but I know that is likely to change once installed and the leads are cut. Thanks again for the help and looking out for a noob.
You can go cheap and get a cheap ohm meter made in China, but having worked in a vape shop that sold those, at least 1/3 of them stopped working inside of a year. I recommend spending a bit more for one made in the USA. It will be more accurate and last longer. You'll need to purchase one online as I doubt any vape shops carry them.

Last edited:

ChelsB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2016
California
You can go cheap and get a cheap ohm meter made in China, but having worked in a vape shop that sold those, at least 1/3 of them stopped working inside of a year. I recommend spending a bit more for one made in the USA. You'll need to purchase one online.

I’ll second that. I was cheap at first and my first 2 ohm meters were less than $10 each. They lasted no longer than 7 months (and often gave inaccurate readings). Definitely spend a little more as you get what you pay for when it comes to ohm meters.

gpjoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Up North
I use the Hadaly RDA all the time with no excess heat or spitting.

If I want a warm-ish vape, I use 5 or 6 wraps of 24ga kanthal at 3mm. Same coil with 26ga Kanthal is a bit cooler. To me, anything more than that is overkill. Maybe 22ga Kanthal - maybe.

Really surprised that you are having issues with the Hadaly. I've been using mine since it was released and never had a problem, but I've never used clapton wire or any other exotic wire with multiple strands and high mass.

For best results, use single wire coils. IMO, the Hadaly is designed more for flavor than vapor - and as already pointed out above, not really airy enough to handle big, fat coils.

Chodega

Dec 13, 2017
I use the Hadaly RDA all the time with no excess heat or spitting.

If I want a warm-ish vape, I use 5 or 6 wraps of 24ga kanthal at 3mm. Same coil with 26ga Kanthal is a bit cooler. To me, anything more than that is overkill. Maybe 22ga Kanthal - maybe.

Really surprised that you are having issues with the Hadaly. I've been using mine since it was released and never had a problem, but I've never used clapton wire or any other exotic wire with multiple strands and high mass.

For best results, use single wire coils. IMO, the Hadaly is designed more for flavor than vapor - and as already pointed out above, not really airy enough to handle big, fat coils.

Yeah I think you're correct. I have a meter coming in Friday, and I'll pick up some single wire tomorrow. I'll update Friday evening. Thank you guys so much again.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Welcome and glad you joined.
Hang in there, you are not the first person that was handed an advanced vapor device to learn on. Can you recover? Yes.
Little late now, but you could read:
https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/f...up-the-vaping-ladder-with-egos-and-mods.5058/
why do people choose a mech over regulated?
https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/f...ners-guide-to-your-first-mechanical-mod.4830/
https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/blog-entry/15-inexpensive-mechanical-mod-rda-setup.6589/
Mech mods exploding: history repeating, with no end in sight / Vaping.com - Your One Stop Vapor Shop | vaping.com
Mech mods & RBAs: Basic to advanced user guide: Pts. one & two | E-Cigarette Forum

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
Definitely get an ohmmeter. Try for a .5Ω build, this will bring your watts under 40 with a fresh battery and down to 25ish at half charge. Be aware the vape will lessen in strength as the battery discharges. If that's still too much, try a .75Ω coil, and so forth. Keep raising the resistance until you find the vape you want. And ditch the 26ga wire. Nothing more than 28 at half and ohm or above. Above 1 ohm, go down to 32ga.

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
Grumble... the chip in those cheap little Ohm meters (the little black ones) are accurate at the hundredths of an Ohm. The problem with them is the shoddy crap that they're built into.

The Ohms reader in the JoyeTech chipsets (in Arctic Fox compatible mods) are accurate at the thousandth. The screen it feeds only shows resistance to the hundredths.

Getting any better needs equipment made from grandmother's fancy tableware.

Point is that anything you get is better than nothing at all, and you need something to measure resistance.

Chodega

Dec 13, 2017
So great news, ohm meter came in. The spit back was due to user error(I over squonked a lot apparently). The coils I was using before all came in between .26 and .29 ohms. I rewrapped one of the 32g alien claptons I had in my kit to 3mm from 2.5mm and came in at .38ohms. Now it's super enjoyable while not super cool it is sufficiently cool enough for my purposes. Also, I was hitting it pretty softly before because of all the spit back, now that it's gone, I can hit it much harder and it cools the coils down considerably offering a much cooler vape. All your help made my this a lot easier and safer. A million thanks to everyone that responded to my noob dilemma.

Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread