The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

RDA extremely hot on squonk

Discussion in 'New Members Forum' started by apot, Oct 13, 2018.

Tags:
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. apot

apot New Member

Oct 13, 2018
    I've been using a NarDa with a Dovpo Rogue 100 plus for a while and I had no similar problems even with the airflow almost closed. Yesterday I bought a Pulse BF 80w and I can't hit it more than twice with the airflow wide open. It gets so hot that it burns my lips immediately. I've used prebuild clapton coils, namely a 0,50 hive coil and currently a 0.36 flat twisted coil (both of which I've also used with the Rogue ). And my battery is Ampking 3000mAh 20700. The box stays fine but the rda is too hot to even unscrew and takes a lot to cool down too. Should I be worried?

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. bombastinator

bombastinator Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    This may or may not be your problem:
    The pulse has a postless deck so it is easy to leave the coil touching the deck. This would make things heat up real fast. The solution is longer legs on your coil that hold the coil off the deck

Welcome to the forum btw :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. VapePro

VapePro Senior Member

Sep 25, 2018
    Yup, your mod is reading the coil resistance as way higher then it actually is. the mod is trying to give you the proper wattage that you set it at. So it is applying more volts.

• Like Like x 1
  4. apot

apot New Member

Oct 13, 2018
    Thank you guys for the advice and the warm welcome. I think you actually misunderstood I have a pulse box mod not the pulse rda. And the resistance read as posted so from what I could tell that was not the issue. Still you gave me some ideas so I lowered my coil and pushed the cotton on the bottom to make like a cotton rug. It cleared much space and allowed for more air travel. It still gets hotter than before but it's bearable.

• Like Like x 1
  5. djsvapour

djsvapour ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Oct 2, 2012
    England and Wales
    RDAs can get hot, but experience tells me when something is wrong. I suspect something is wrong. Check your build. Offer prayers to the squonk gods? Personally, I avoid complicated thick coils.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. bombastinator

Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    So what atty are you using? Assuming the atty is the same as the one you were using before with the same coil (at the original attempt) there may be a problem with either your new mod or your old one. It sounds like for whatever reason you are pouring way more power into your atty than you were..
    I think what is needed is atty and wattage information

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. apot

apot New Member

Oct 13, 2018
    it's a NarDa, same coils and wattage is at 35-40 for about 4 voltage

• Like Like x 1
  8. bombastinator

Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    I’m running 35w @2.35v atm

• Like Like x 1
  9. QcVaper

QcVaper Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jun 17, 2017
    Canada/Quebec
    If you chain vape alot your rda will always end up being hot, i use a single coil and after a while i can get it hot to a point i don't touch it because it's that bad LOL. But that's me not the mod or rda.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Asbestos4004

Asbestos4004 Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 11, 2013
    Sugar Hill, Georgia
    Time for the least popular opinion post.....I think you're running the wrong coil for a Narda. I've had the best results with a boring spaced 26ga round wire build. That atty isn't designed for fancy stuff.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. BrotherBob

BrotherBob ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Dec 24, 2014
    Sunnyvale,CA,USA
    Welcome and glad you joined.
    Might like to read the wisdom of these posts,they say it all for me:
    Resistance is Futile - Vapor Connection LLC | Pittsburgh's Premiere Vapor Shop & Lounge
    What Ohms should I choose?
    Efficiency. Thinner wire and higher resistance VS thick wire and lower resistance
    Higher Resistance, Lower Wattage vs Lower Resistance, Higher Wattage
    https://www.ecigarettedirect.co.uk/ashtray-blog/2016/03/flavour-chasing.html

• Like Like x 1