Vape sensitivity puzzle...PG? Something else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enso

ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2017
Vermont, USA
Hi all,
Maybe you can help me figure this out:

I have been vaping for three months, no cigs, no major problems.
My wife still smokes, but has shown some interest in vaping at least part time. So I set her up with a Pico topped with a Nautilus X, filled with unflavored base at a 1.8% nic level, 70VG. Locked the pico at 14 watts.

She has tried it a couple of times, and each time experiences nausea. I vaped the on that rig with the same juice and settings for a week before I passed it along. No problems for me.

My first guess was PG sensitivity. Nausea is listed as a symptom in some places, but it seems like it more commonly affects the respiratory tract.

My second guess is nic level. She actually smokes more than I used to so I thought 1.8 would be fine... though she smokes filtered and I was smoking rollies.

My two long shots are composition of VG, and reaction to kanthal coil. I haven't even researched those possibilities cos they seem fairly unlikely.

I suppose a good test would be to have her try VG with no nic? (My nicotine is suspended in 50/50, really don't want VG nic unless it's beneficial to her)

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: Opinionated

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
The popular opinion seems to be that the strength is the culprit. I going to try to make time to mix tonight.

Yay! :thumbs:

If you want to be sure if it IS the nic being too high that's the problem...please take the earlier suggestion that @zoiDman gave you, that you liked. Leave the PG/VG ratio the same as the first batch (you said it was 70VG), and change ONLY the nic mg. If you change both the nic + PG/VG ratio and she doesn't get queasy...you still won't know which thing for sure was causing the problem. It's the old "don't change several variables at the same time" idea from Science class experiments when we were all younger. :)

Good luck! We're all hoping for a great result, for both of you!

Last edited:

Enso

ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2017
Vermont, USA
Congratulations on your 3 months of being smoke free. We are all pulling for your wife. Please keep us updated. We really do care.

I also agree that it is probably the nic strength causing the problem.
Thanks very much:)
Appreciate all the help and support! I'll update in a week or so hopefully with good news.

Enso

ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2017
Vermont, USA
Yay! :thumbs:

If you want to be sure if it IS the nic being too high that's the problem...please take the earlier suggestion that @zoiDman gave you, that you liked. Leave the PG/VG ratio the same as the first batch (you said it was 70VG), and change ONLY the nic mg. If you change both the nic + PG/VG ratio and she doesn't get queasy...you still won't know which thing for sure was causing the problem. It's the old "don't change several variables at the same time" idea from Science class experiments when we were all younger. :)

Good luck! We're all hoping for a great result, for both of you!

I started on a cigalike at 1.8%. It didn't produce much vapor so I had time to acclimate to that level. The equipment she is using is far more efficient than what I started on. This is a good hypothesis. I'm putting PG allergy on the back burner for sure.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I ran Clearos with 18mg/ml for a Long Time. No Problems. But if I put 18mg/ml in my RTA's or RDA's today, I would Gag.

I'm sure you will Find an e-Liquid Combinations that your Wife likes. And it may be a Both the Nicotine Level and the PG/VG Level. But as JC Mention, it's is Hard to Tell what is what if you more than 1 thing at a Time.

Enso

ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2017
Vermont, USA
Since you've been making unflavored for her, IMO the "weird sweet taste" could be the combination of the nic base and the little bit of sweetness of the VG. I'd bet that if just a tiny amount of a single, non-tobacco flavoring (maybe a fruit one or a nice dessert type blend) was added to it...that "weird sweet taste" might change to a nice sweet taste.

In fact, if you'll send me a PM...I'd be willing to send you some little 3mL sample bottles of a few flavorings like the above, to try for her. Might only take a drop or 2 of any one of them in about 10mL of the unflavored mix...to change the taste for her. I have plenty of flavorings to spare, and I wouldn't mind sending them at all.
I very much appreciate the generosity! I agree but I'm surprised she tried the ecig at all, she's a bit of a Luddite and not a big fan of additives (but still smokes,haha). I think the only reason she was open to it at all was because she had seen me go a couple months without a problem. That said, I am approaching this with as little interference as possible. I don't want to introduce anything that seems like too much, or might make her shy away. For now I'm just happy she's willing to try it once in a while, and not experiencing nausea.
Thank you very much though JC!

Just Me

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2010
I very much appreciate the generosity! I agree but I'm surprised she tried the ecig at all, she's a bit of a Luddite and not a big fan of additives (but still smokes,haha). I think the only reason she was open to it at all was because she had seen me go a couple months without a problem. That said, I am approaching this with as little interference as possible. I don't want to introduce anything that seems like too much, or might make her shy away. For now I'm just happy she's willing to try it once in a while, and not experiencing nausea.
Thank you very much though JC!

You're doing the right thing, congratulations!

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Really like cost reduction and control of DIY.

Blue painters tape, Haha, nailed it!!

Yeah... Once you get everything Squared Away you can make a Fancy P-Touch Label for you bottles. But while you still in the Testing Phase, painter tape (the Green with a Fine Tip Sharpie Marker is actually easier to read) is the way to go.

mattiem

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
The popular opinion seems to be that the strength is the culprit. I going to try to make time to mix tonight.
Congratulations on your 3 months of being smoke free. We are all pulling for your wife. Please keep us updated. We really do care.

I also agree that it is probably the nic strength causing the problem.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
Also said there is a weird sweet taste, which I have to assume is the VG.

Since you've been making unflavored for her, IMO the "weird sweet taste" could be the combination of the nic base and the little bit of sweetness of the VG. I'd bet that if just a tiny amount of a single, non-tobacco flavoring (maybe a fruit one or a nice dessert type blend) was added to it...that "weird sweet taste" might change to a nice sweet taste.

In fact, if you'll send me a PM...I'd be willing to send you some little 3mL sample bottles of a few flavorings like the above, to try for her. Might only take a drop or 2 of any one of them in about 10mL of the unflavored mix...to change the taste for her. I have plenty of flavorings to spare, and I wouldn't mind sending some samples at all, absolutely free.

Last edited:

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
That sounds like a good step. For now I have a batch of 91% VG same level for her to try at her leisure. I'll mix a half strength batch next weekend in case the 91 doesn't have an good effect. And if that doesn't work, pure VG I guess.

That's the Extremely Cool thing about being able to do DIY. You can Mix up any type of mg/ml or PG to VG Ratio you like.

And costs next to Nothing. Just a Little bit of Time.

And maybe some Blue Painters Tape on the Bottles while you are in the Test Batch mode.

Enso

ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2017
Vermont, USA
That's the Extremely Cool thing about being able to do DIY. You can Mix up any type of mg/ml or PG to VG Ratio you like.

And costs next to Nothing. Just a Little bit of Time.

And maybe some Blue Painters Tape on the Bottles while you are in the Test Batch mode.
Really like cost reduction and control of DIY.

Blue painters tape, Haha, nailed it!!

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Just out of curiosity, what mg are you using now and what what was the timeframe on stepping it down? Did you just go by feel?

Mixed up 9mg 70VG, now to wait till she tries it again.

I quit using 28mg/ml with an Occasional 36mg/ml on a Cart/Atty and Cartos. Then moved down to 24mg/ml or so.

When the E2/CE2's Clearos hit the scene, I used them for a Long Time at 18mg/ml Heavily Flavored/Sweetened.

Moved to Rebuildables and had to Drop Down to 12mg/ml or so Regular Flavored.

Today, using mainly a Squonking RDA and STM Style RTA's, I use around 7 ~ 9mg/ml Unflavored with Flavored Wicks or HOF.

The Hardware was what drove the Stepping Down in mg/ml. Heavily Flavored/Sweetened e-Liquids (to me) just don't taste as good Day in and Day out on an RDA. And I would get Flavor Burnout a lot. That, and I always seemed Thirsty.

I use some 0mg at Night. Especially if I'm really Wound Up for work. But I don't really go much below 7mg/ml during the day. Kinda get Edgy if I do. I vape about 7ml a Day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread